Most deep/meaningful line?

The Alchemist

Just got a couple. :P (I'll assume the American copies of the book.)

"No, don't cut my hair, Ned loves my hair."

ASOS Pg. 705

By this point I sorta cared about Catelyn, what with he trying to raise a king and all. At least her last thought was of Ned.

"Sam needed sleep as well, but he was drunk on rum and mother's milk and Gilly.

AFFC Pg. 749

It makes me sad how, even when he gets lucky, he still can't thinking so negatively about himself.

"You could try." Jamie waited. When Edmure made no move to rise, he said, "I'll leave you to enjoy your food. Singer, play for our guest whilst he eats. You know the song, I trust."

"The one about the rain? Aye, my lord. I know it."

Edmure seemed to see the man for the first time. "No. Not him. Get him away from me."

"Why, it's just a song," said Jamie. "He cannot have that bad a voice."

AFFC Pg. 818

I love my Edmure misfortune lines, I don't know why :3

O.o.... I hope Edward the great is joking...

I second the oath taken for the Night's Watch. I especially liked it when they were all on the Fist and Chet was scheming away.

I've always liked Jaime's snappy comebacks to stupid questions/statements:

The Lord of the Dreadfort finally pursed his lips and said, "You have lost a hand."

"No," said Jaime, "I have it here, hanging round my neck."

The Dornishman's wife was as fair as the sun,

and her kisses were warmer than spring.

But the Dornishman's blade was made of black steel,

and its kiss a terrible thing.

The Dornishman's wife would sing as she bathed,

in a voice that was sweet as a peach,

But the Dornishman's blade had a song of its own,

and a bite sharp and cold as a leech.

As he lay on the ground with the darkness around,

and the taste of his blood on his tongue,

His brothers knelt by him and prayed him a prayer,

and he smiled and he laughed and he sung,

"Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done,

the Dornishman's taken my life,

But what does it matter, for all men must die,

and I've tasted the Dornishman's wife!"

It's not a spoken line but meaningful nonetheless, IMO. This line also made me laugh out loud for several minutes but I think it sums up what the small folk really think about the nobles and their Game of Thrones.

"Mixed in with the abuse, he heard a few cries of “Justice” and “Robb, King Robb, the Young Wolf,” of “Stannis!” and even “Renly!” From both sides of the street, the crowd surged against the spear shafts while the gold cloaks struggled to hold the line. Stones and dung and fouler things whistled overhead. “Feed us!” a woman shrieked. “Bread!” boomed a man behind her. “We want bread, bastard!” In a heartbeat, a thousand voices took up the chant. King Joffrey and King Robb and King Stannis were forgotten, and King Bread ruled alone. “Bread,” they clamored. “Bread, bread!”" - aCoK

I like Euron Greyjoy for the pure honesty of this line, and the insight about the true state of affairs in the land, that the reader is generally aware of but not the characters.

'Crow's Eye, you call me. Well, who has a keener eye than the crow? After every battle the crows come in their hundreds and thousands to feast upon the fallen. A crow can espy death from afar. And I say that all of Westeros is dying.'

also,

"'How could he know?' she asked the caption. 'I was so careful. How could he know?'

'Someone told.' Hotah shrugged. 'Someone always tells.'"

"I never win anything," Dolorous Edd complained. "The gods always smiled on Watt, though. When the wildlings knocked him off the Bridge of Skulls, somehow he landed in a nice deep pool of water. How lucky was that, missing all those rocks?"

"Was it a long fall?" Grenn wanted to know. "Did landing in the pool of water save his life?"

"No," said Dolorous Edd. "He was dead already, from that axe in his head. Still, it was pretty lucky, missing the rocks."

Awesome thread.

and one of my personal favorites from stannis

I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom when i would of being trying to save the kingdom to win the throne

which is why, when I open my dream pub, it will be called "King Robert's Tavern"

the Baratheons are awesome. King Stannis 4 Life!

I like Euron Greyjoy for the pure honesty of this line, and the insight about the true state of affairs in the land, that the reader is generally aware of but not the characters.

'Crow's Eye, you call me. Well, who has a keener eye than the crow? After every battle the crows come in their hundreds and thousands to feast upon the fallen. A crow can espy death from afar. And I say that all of Westeros is dying.'

Euron's best line is his first line.

“We shall have no king but from the kingsmoot.” The Damphair stood. “No godless man—”

“—may sit the Seastone Chair, aye.” Euron glanced about the tent. “As it happens as I have oft sat upon the Seastone Chair of late. It raises no objections.” His smiling eye was glittering. “Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air... I know them all. I have seen their peoples garland them with flowers, and shed the blood of goats and bulls and children in their names. And I have heard the prayers, in half a hundred tongues. Cure my withered leg, make the maiden love me, grant me a healthy son. Save me, succor me, make me wealthy... protect me! Protect me from mine enemies, protect me from the darkness, protect me from the crabs inside my belly, from the horselords, from the slavers, from the sellswords at my door. Protect me from the Silence.” He laughed. “Godless? Why, Aeron, I am the godliest man ever to raise sail! You serve one god, Damphair, but I have served ten thousand. From Ib to Asshai, when men see my sails, they pray.”

The priest raised a bony finger. “They pray to trees and golden idols and goat-headed abominations. False gods...”

“Just so,” said Euron, “and for that sin I kill them all. I spill their blood upon the sea and sow their screaming women with my seed. Their little gods cannot stop me, so plainly they are false gods. I am more devout than even you, Aeron. Perhaps it should be you who kneels to me for blessing.”

I think I've mentioned this line in a "favorite line" topic...in any case I re-read this entire thread to check that I hadn't posted this already and what an enjoyable read! These books are so full of wit and wisdom, and I'm starting to get why the Lannister fans on the forum are so passionate; that family spouts some wise and wonderful speeches and one-liners.

I love when Old Nan tells a cranky Bran (he is newly crippled and newly abandoned by his parents), "My stories? No, my little lord, not mine. The stories are, before me and after me, before you too."

I always like the potential depth/ meaning in those sorts of meta-observations, a comment about the nature of stories while we're in a story. And I'd bet out of all the people in Westeros, Old Nan could make the best guess of how ASoIaF will end.

I'll contribute some of my own favorites, though they are more in the "cool" rather than "deep" line, if you take my meaning.

This exchange I find almost unparalleled, not least because of the question and answer motif that is reminiscent of folk songs or a fairytale:

“I came down on Storm’s End to lift the siege,” Ned told them, “and the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne dipped their banners, and all their knights bent the knee to pledge us fealty. I was certain you would be among them.”

“Our knees do not bend easily,” said Ser Arthur Dayne.

“Ser Willem Darry is fled to Dragonstone, with your queen and Prince Viserys. I thought you might have sailed with him.”

“Ser Willem is a good man and true,” said Ser Oswell.

“But not of the Kingsguard,” Ser Gerold pointed out. “The Kingsguard does not flee.”

“Then or now,” said Ser Arthur. He donned his helm.

“We swore a vow,” explained old Ser Gerold.

Ned’s wraiths moved up beside him, with shadow swords in hand. They were seven against three.

“And now it begins,” said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

“No,” Ned said with sadness in his voice. “Now it ends.”

In the same spirit is this:

Syrio Forel stepped between them, tapping his wooden sword lightly against his boot. "You will be stopping there. Are you men or dogs, that you would threaten a child?"

"Out of the way, old man," one of the red cloaks said. Syrio’s stick came whistling up, and rang against his helm. "I am Syrio Forel, and you will now be speaking to me with more respect."

"Bald bastard." The man yanked free his longsword. The stick moved again, blindingly fast. Arya heard a loud crack as the sword came clattering to the stone floor. "My hand!" the guardsmen yelped, cradling his broken fingers.

"You are quick, for a dancing master," said Ser Meryn.

"You are slow, for a knight," Syrio replied.

"Syrio, run," she screamed.

"The first sword of Braavos does not run," he sang as Ser Meryn slashed at him.

Finally, some Tyrion awesomeness (and for a change, not witty or cynical remarks!):

What is the meaning of this?

The Imp’s voice cracked like a whip, and suddenly Sansa was free. She stumbled to her knees, arms crossed over her chest, her breath ragged. “Is this your notion of chivalry, Ser Boros?” Tyrion Lannister demanded angrily. His pet sellsword stood with him, and one of his wildlings, the one with the burned eye. “What sort of knight beats helpless maids?”

“The sort who serves his king, Imp.” Ser Boros raised his sword, and Ser Meryn stepped up beside him, his blade scraping clear of its scabbard.

“Careful with those,” warned the dwarf’s sellsword. “You don’t want to get blood all over those pretty white cloaks.”

“Someone give the girl something to cover herself with,” the Imp said. Sandor Clegane unfastened his cloak and tossed it at her. Sansa clutched it against her chest, fists bunched hard in the white wool. The coarse weave was scratchy against her skin, but no velvet had ever felt so fine.

“This girl’s to be your queen,” the Imp told Joffrey. “Have you no regard for her honor?”

“I’m punishing her.”

“For what crime? She did not fight her brother’s battle.”

“She has the blood of a wolf.”

“And you have the wits of a goose.”

“You can’t talk to me that way. The king can do as he likes.”

“Aerys Targaryen did as he liked. Has your mother ever told you what happened to him?”

Ser Boros Blount harrumphed. “No man threatens His Grace in the presence of the Kingsguard.”

Tyrion Lannister raised an eyebrow. “I am not threatening the king, ser, I am educating my nephew. Bronn, Timett, the next time Ser Boros opens his mouth, kill him.” The dwarf smiled. “Now that was a threat, ser. See the difference?”

Ser Boros turned a dark shade of red. “The queen will hear of this!”

“No doubt she will. And why wait? Joffrey, shall we send for your mother? “

The king flushed.

“Nothing to say, Your Grace?” his uncle went on. “Good. Learn to use your ears more and your mouth less, or your reign will be shorter than I am. Wanton brutality is no way to win your people’s love . . . or your queen’s.”

“Fear is better than love, Mother says.” Joffrey pointed at Sansa. “She fears me.”

The Imp sighed. “Yes, I see. A pity Stannis and Renly aren’t twelve-year-old girls as well. Bronn, Timett, bring her.”

I always liked the conversation between Bran and Ned after the execution at the beginning:

Bran: Can a man be brave even if he is afraid?

Ned: That is the only time a man can be brave.

This has stuck with me too from the first moment I read it.

Egg... I dreamed I was old.

And this one. Incredibly deep, incredibly sad.

Archived