Doctor Who: Season 4

Werthead

[b]Doctor Who [/b]is back on the BBC on 5 April.

Pretty much confirmed spoilers for the season:

SPOILER: Doctor Who
The Season 4 arc revolves around the Master's statement in the Season 3 finale about the Cruciform, a weapon of tremendous power that the Daleks and Time Lords battled over during the Time War. As the season continues more will be revealed about this weapon until it finally surfaces in the season finale.

The first half of the season will be business as usual, with self-contained stories, although there will be more continuity than usual. For example, we find out how the Ood became the servitors of humanity in the Satan Pit storyline, whilst the Sontarans will return from the original series. UNIT will play a big role in the same story. The second episode is the one filmed on the sets of [b]Rome[/b]. The second half will be bigger with continuing storyline elements building to the finale.

The Season 4 finale is absolutely gargantuam, involving (deep breath) the Doctor, Donna, Martha, Rose, Mickey, Captain Jack, Sarah-Jane, Davros (!) and Dalek Caan. Rumour has it that the story involves the somehow-resurrected Davros teaming up with Dalek Caan to create a new Dalek race. The new Daleks seize control of London. The latter has been confirmed by photos of multiple Daleks shooting up a London street and being taken out by Jack wielding a huge laser cannon.

The most interesting rumour is that the two-part season finale doesn't actually have an ending. Instead just as things reach a point of bonkers intensity there's an even huger cliffhanger that is not resolved until the 2008 Christmas special :stunned:

Apparently the Season 3 final teaser, about someone recovering the Master's ring, will not be addressed in Season 4. It [i]may [/i]crop up in one of the Season 4.5 TV movies.

Daleks invade London, again...

UNIT better turn up with every soldier packing an anti-Dalek gun.

Also I damm well expect the rest of the Torchwood staff, I want to see them react to the Doctor goddam it.

I hope Bad Arse Doctor returns, the scarey one, who drowns a huge bunch of Space Spiders and then goes really nasty on the Family.

[quote]Also I damm well expect the rest of the Torchwood staff, I want to see them react to the Doctor goddam it.[/quote]

Seconded.

Unless someone you tubes it I willprobably have to wait until whenever BBC America gets around to showing them, or CBC. *pouts*

I'll be looking forward to this once I actually watch the rest of the show. I've only seen 3 or 4 episodes at my Grandma's while on vacation and have been meaning to watch the rest for some time now...

SPOILER: Guess Who
Davros doesnt need to be resurrected, we see him using an escape pod in Remembrance of the Daleks. I'm a bit wary of London getting invaded by daleks ... again. They keep trying to do bigger and better than the previous series finales and they risk things getting farcical.

Looks good....not sure when it will be aired over here.

SPOILER: I thought he was a she

I was under the impression that the Master did the whole...take over a body thing again, and that this time it was a woman. That He/She was the one who picked up the ring

Some interesting things in today's Radio Times about the new series.

Episode 6 is
SPOILER: Fun
The Doctor's Daughter and apparantly does exactly what it says on the Tin

Episode 7 has Agatha Christie as a character.

Rose looks to be coming back in Episode 10/11

I assumed that the person retrieving his ring was his wife - as she would be the obvious choice and even though she turned on him at the end of series 3 it could just have been a setup to ensure his return from beyond the grave through methods unknown as presumably she had been under his hypnotic control for some time.

I wonder if they're bringing all these characters back because they realised Catherine Tate couldn't carry an entire series as well as Billie Piper (and it's not often you can say that). I thought it was a terrible decision to choose her and I wasn't looking forward to this series at all. From those spoilers, though, there is a lot to look forward to. I definitely want to meet the Ood again. They were great.

But Daleks again? Can whatshisname not come up with any decent major villains himself? Just one series free of them would be nice.

[quote name='Lord Baelish' post='1299146' date='Apr 3 2008, 09.39']I wonder if they're bringing all these characters back because they realised Catherine Tate couldn't carry an entire series as well as Billie Piper (and it's not often you can say that). I thought it was a terrible decision to choose her and I wasn't looking forward to this series at all. From those spoilers, though, there is a lot to look forward to. I definitely want to meet the Ood again. They were great.

But Daleks again? Can whatshisname not come up with any decent major villains himself? Just one series free of them would be nice.[/quote]

I have to admit I am all Daleked out.... how can you build them up to be this really badass bad guy, and keep having them get there butts whooped.

After Bad Wolf, that should have been it for a while.

[quote name='Xanrn' post='1297987' date='Apr 2 2008, 21.11']Episode 6 is
SPOILER: Fun
The Doctor's Daughter and apparantly does exactly what it says on the Tin
[/quote]

Well, the First Doctor was explicitly a grandfather. Interesting trivia, the Doctor's daughter is actually being played by a Doctor's daughter (specifically, she's Peter Davison's daughter).

One of the earliest spoilers I read said that Paul McGann was going to play the Doctor in flashbacks to the Time War, which would have been damn cool. But now they've released the cast list, so I guess that's not happening. Which is a shame.

The Doctor's daughter -

SPOILER: Who knows?
Supposedly she's created in a lab with some of the Doctor's stolen DNA. They seem to be aiming for a monster one, like the Mark Gatiss one last year, probably the Doctor will get to wear his tux.

I think it's odd how the seasons have to follow the same pattern. First one comedic, second one historical earth, third one future earth, fourth and fifth old monsters etc. It's weird.

[quote name='Maltaran' post='1302140' date='Apr 5 2008, 20.32']I didn't particularly like it. Catherine Tate annoys me. Although I was intrigued by the end, I thought Rose wasn't going to show up till later in the season[/quote]

Tate has always annoyed me: I really can't see how she got a gig as a comedienne, far less parleyed that into 'straight' roles. (Maybe they figured she was so unfunny, she [i]had[/i] to be good at serious parts? :P)

Other than that, it was a curate's egg - good in parts. There was another reference to the Shadow Proclamation, one that seemed to suggest there was an actual organisation of some sort attached to this... interesting. The Rose manifestation (only word for it really) suggests that this will be this season's 'Bad Wolf', the recurring motif leading to the series finale. And Bernard Cribbins is always good VFM. :P

But there were some pretty awful scenes too.

[quote name='mormont' post='1302155' date='Apr 5 2008, 20.55']Tate has always annoyed me: I really can't see how she got a gig as a comedienne, far less parleyed that into 'straight' roles. (Maybe they figured she was so unfunny, she [i]had[/i] to be good at serious parts? :P)[/quote]

Tate wasn't as annoying as I was expecting, the writers seem to have toned down her character's stupidity a little bit since The Runaway Bride. I still don't think she is a good bit of casting at all.

[quote]Other than that, it was a curate's egg - good in parts. There was another reference to the Shadow Proclamation, one that seemed to suggest there was an actual organisation of some sort attached to this... interesting. The Rose manifestation (only word for it really) suggests that this will be this season's 'Bad Wolf', the recurring motif leading to the series finale. And Bernard Cribbins is always good VFM. :P

But there were some pretty awful scenes too.[/quote]

I wish the companions would stop having annoying families, although Donna's family does at least have Bernard Cribbins. It was a fairly average episode overall, I thought the Rose manifestation was quite well done but the main plot wasn't very memorable (apart from the cute aliens).

I switched on the TV to watch this at 7.15, the normal time it's on, only to find some talentless competition on instead. I spent some minutes pondering if [b]Who[/b] was on before or after, realised I didn't really care, and went to do something else instead.

Probably like last year, I'll tune in for the season finale and only bother tuning in for the other eps if I remember it's on.

[quote name='Blanc de Wert '79' post='1302271' date='Apr 6 2008, 00.05']I switched on the TV to watch this at 7.15, the normal time it's on, only to find some talentless competition on instead. I spent some minutes pondering if [b]Who[/b] was on before or after, realised I didn't really care, and went to do something else instead.[/quote]

It was on at 6:20, for some reason.

Archived