Doctor Who: Season 4

Werthead

[quote name='Werthead' post='1311963' date='Apr 13 2008, 04.38']Missed it again due to work :( At some point I'm just going to have to get the DVDs for the whole series and pile through them.[/quote]

*coughs www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer coughs*

Holds a weeks worth of BBC's main programs. You can watch it for a week or downloard it, where it stays on your harddrive for a month. Due to my shifts, it's the only reason I can watch BBC programs.

[quote name='Derfel Cadarn' post='1312475' date='Apr 13 2008, 21.09']*coughs www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer coughs*

Holds a weeks worth of BBC's main programs. You can watch it for a week or downloard it, where it stays on your harddrive for a month. Due to my shifts, it's the only reason I can watch BBC programs.[/quote]

It only works if you're in the UK, though, and Wert is in Ireland.

It's repeated on BBC3 at least once midweek, maybe twice.

[quote name='Xanrn' post='1311789' date='Apr 13 2008, 03.21']2 Races losing their planets seperated by 2,000 years, either its the Daleks or just a coinkydink. Though I fail to see why the Daleks would care or why they would make an Empire across time.[/quote]

One possibility I've seen suggested is that both their planets were lost in the Time War.

[quote name='williamjm' post='1312716' date='Apr 14 2008, 00.28']One possibility I've seen suggested is that both their planets were lost in the Time War.[/quote]
Er, what could that mean for this season of DW then? :huh: I mean, wouldn't the Doctor already know about them missing then...?

[quote name='potsherds' post='1312729' date='Apr 14 2008, 00.48']Er, what could that mean for this season of DW then? :huh: I mean, wouldn't the Doctor already know about them missing then...?[/quote]

The Time War was (presumably) a very large-scale war in terms of both space and time and it is quite possible the Doctor doesn't know all the things that happened in it.

[quote name='williamjm' post='1312744' date='Apr 14 2008, 01.09']The Time War was (presumably) a very large-scale war in terms of both space and time and it is quite possible the Doctor doesn't know all the things that happened in it.[/quote]
Ah, er. K. I wonder how they'll handle that. Messing with time in a way that retains sensical-ness always sounds tricky to me.

EDIT: If that's the case, does that mean that Rose somehow gets her ass involved in the Time War? That the War screws with dimensions as well. It'd make sense, in that it would likely mean the Doctor must lose her all over again, which is what I'm expecting.

[quote name='potsherds' post='1312729' date='Apr 14 2008, 00.48']Er, what could that mean for this season of DW then? :huh: I mean, wouldn't the Doctor already know about them missing then...?[/quote]

I figure the Daleks (or possibly the Sontarans) are fiddling about with reality, with the result that dimensions are collapsing into each other, planets are disappearing and the outcome of the Time War is being changed.

[quote name='john' post='1312780' date='Apr 14 2008, 01.05']I figure the Daleks (or possibly the Sontarans) are fiddling about with reality, with the result that dimensions are collapsing into each other, planets are disappearing and the outcome of the Time War is being changed.[/quote]
Oh!!! Ok, now [i]that[/i] would be sensical and interesting. Nifty.

...So when are they gonna stop using the Daleks as the major bad guy, I wonder? :|

[quote name='potsherds']...So when are they gonna stop using the Daleks as the major bad guy, I wonder? :|[/quote]

I believe I read somewhere that this is the last season they have the rights to use them, so my guess would be next year.;)

I saw a shot from this year's christmas special of DW. It showed Cybermen walking through a graveyard. Did I read somewhere that the finale to this season isn't going to wrap everything up? So the Rose thing may not be done until Christmas, if these Cybermen are the ones from her new dimension.

Plenty of interesting tidbits in these first two episodes. I still can't stand Catherine Tate, though, so it's a struggle to get through scenes that are focused on her.

[quote name='Jon AS' post='1312928' date='Apr 14 2008, 05.29']I believe I read somewhere that this is the last season they have the rights to use them, so my guess would be next year.;)[/quote]

They said that about last season too, you know ;).

Sir Thursday

[quote name='potsherds' post='1312748' date='Apr 14 2008, 01.12']EDIT: If that's the case, does that mean that Rose somehow gets her ass involved in the Time War? That the War screws with dimensions as well. It'd make sense, in that it would likely mean the Doctor must lose her all over again, which is what I'm expecting.[/quote]

On a slightly different note, in the alternate dimension Rose is in, is there an alternate-Doctor? Or even an alternate-Gallifrey? As I understand it the alternate universe is a complete alternative (which is why the Cybermen still exist in it), so the Time War may not have happened there. They could get some interesting plot lines out of that, could even use a Doctor other than David Tennant since alternate-Doctor might have had a different number of Regenerations.

[quote name='williamjm' post='1313751' date='Apr 14 2008, 20.58']On a slightly different note, in the alternate dimension Rose is in, is there an alternate-Doctor? Or even an alternate-Gallifrey? As I understand it the alternate universe is a complete alternative (which is why the Cybermen still exist in it), so the Time War may not have happened there. They could get some interesting plot lines out of that, could even use a Doctor other than David Tennant since alternate-Doctor might have had a different number of Regenerations.[/quote]
Oh my gods, that sounds like it could get rather confusing...

Stayed awake this time.
Thanks for the Rose update Willamjm

Like the Mary Poppins homage 'Positions'!

Really looking forward to the film Pompeii. Was re-watching the BBc's Pompeii; The Last Day recently and those pyroclastic surges are awesome and very very scary. Though in Doctor Who they got the earthquake right seventeen years beforehand they didn't get the eruption correct (no surges until about 17/18 hours later) but they probably condensed it to fit the story line and go hang the reality.

[quote name='williamjm' post='1313751' date='Apr 14 2008, 20.58']On a slightly different note, in the alternate dimension Rose is in, is there an alternate-Doctor? Or even an alternate-Gallifrey? As I understand it the alternate universe is a complete alternative (which is why the Cybermen still exist in it), so the Time War may not have happened there. They could get some interesting plot lines out of that, could even use a Doctor other than David Tennant since alternate-Doctor might have had a different number of Regenerations.[/quote]

The rules for parallel universes in the Whoniverse were laid down in the Jon Petwee story [i]Inferno[/i], in which there is indeed an alternate-Doctor into the alternate Earth visited in that story*. RTD apparently paid some lip service to this in the alternate Cyberman universe. That would suggest that other dimensions may or may not have the Time Lords and the Doctor present, since in those dimensions it may be that Gallifrey never developed sentient life.

* The alternate Doctor in that story was actually the EVIL DOCTOR and he is never seen, merely referred to by the alternate-Brigadier (who commands the Doctor's armies; the Doctor has used his immense superior knowledge to conquer Earth and rule unchallenged).

Anyone else seen today's episode? I've missed the rest of this series so far (the new time slot isn't very convenient for me) but I managed to catch (most of) this one ... and it was [i]terrible[/i]. Not 'Love and Monsters' bad, but at least as bad as anything from last season. And that's even ignoring the fact that Catherine Tate has acting skills comparable to the sort of slightly dim six year old who gets cast in roles like "Shepherd #4" in the school Nativity play. It was only morbid curiosity that kept me watching after the first ten minutes or so.

Has the rest of the series been this bad, or is this a one-off? I'm tempted to watch next week, based on the previews, but I'm worried that that might be a very bad idea.

This week's episode was, without doubt, the worst of the three so far IMO. The effects were poor, Tate's 'acting' awful, and some of the plot points downright daft (there's no way evolution could produce a race of servitors, apparently, but it could allow the same race to evolve [i]carrying their brains in their hands[/i]. That makes perfect sense :rolleyes:).

Also, I have a slight concern about how much running about and shooting there is in this series (and next week's episode looks like it will feature a lot more). I realise it's exciting and all, but the series works better when the balance includes a bit more character interaction IMO.

[quote name='mormont' post='1320827' date='Apr 19 2008, 23.02']This week's episode was, without doubt, the worst of the three so far IMO. The effects were poor, Tate's 'acting' awful, and some of the plot points downright daft ([b]there's no way evolution could produce a race of servitors, apparently, but it could allow the same race to evolve [i]carrying their brains in their hands[/i].[/b] That makes perfect sense :rolleyes:).[/quote]
That was [i]exactly[/i] what I thought. This ep was sooooooo bad. Ugh. :thumbsdown:

Archived