[Pre-ADwD Spoilers] Jon 3 but actually Jon 1

LugaJetboyGirl

Amazing!! I have to say I didn't expect this from Jon. I was expecting him walk the path that Ned taught him. So him showing some aptitude in the "game of thrones" is most unexpected indeed. I hope he keeps it up..no more whining Jon just fuck people who mess with you. :smoking:

And Thorne actually hesitated seeing Jon with Longclaw? Thats even better!! I sure hope this means he has improved as a swordsman.

Also did anyone else notice that there a quite a few references to him in AFFC in the South..gaining some notority perhaps? I wonder if he has done something significant?

Also did anyone else notice that there a quite a few references to him in AFFC in the South..gaining some notority perhaps? I wonder if he has done something significant?

Well I don't know about you but I'd be extremely impressed if an 18-22 year old was made Lord Commander, or in charge of anything that significant

Well I don't know about you but I'd be extremely impressed if an 18-22 year old was made Lord Commander, or in charge of anything that significant

But isn't the NW considered insignificant down in the South?

Jon is 16 atmost 17 btw...all the more reason to talk about it perhaps. But i got the feeling that there might be more to it. For example in the chapter where Alayne interacts with Myranda Royce they are discussing very very significant things. Like Riverrun falling, Dragonstone continuing to hold for Stannis, new High Septon(who btw just happened to re-instate the military wing of the Faith..hence naturally there would be talk of him everywhere). As you can see all these events are quite significant in nature hence my belief that Jon might have done something "news-worthy".

In that chapter I got the feeling that Miranda's point (or something...) was to mention the 'Stark bastard' before Alayne and see what her reaction will be. What is the chance of some random bastard girl raised in the Free Cities to know the name of some bastard boy raised in Winterfell? Zero. That is if the girl really is what she is trying to look like. Actually, the moment Sansa asked Miranda if it was Jon Snow she was talking about was the moment when the whole 'Sansa is getting smarter' was destroyed for me. She allowed herself to make a mistake that significant. Again. And I'm only waiting to see how badly will that effect Littlefinger's schemes.

Edited by TsukimorY

In that chapter I got the feeling that Miranda's point (or something...) was to mention the 'Stark bastard' before Alayne and see what her reaction will be.

Interesting..but for this to be the case, Myranda must have already had suspicion as to who Alayne actually was? It was a ridiculously good guess if not.

Either way I don't know if it will affect Littlefinger's scheme of things. IIRC Myranda is in the daughter of nestor Royce..who happens to benefit a lot from littlefinger staying in power as was explained in the earlier AFFC chapter where Petyr makes him the Keeper of Gates(Blackfish's earlier post). And also there seemed to be no change in her attitude after this talk. I suppose she could be playing along for now. Its hard to tell

Edited by Bastard of Winterfell

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Whoa cool, although, I don't think the spoiler box is necessary since you know, this is the ADwD forum.

Does Jon do it while Slynt is kneeling, or does he just do some awesome kungfu and take it off while Slynt is standing?

If I remember correctly, Jon says something along the lines of

'Fetch me a block." When a suitable block was found, Jon pushed Slynt and placed his head on top of it. "You're going to die, but if you move your head it will be a lot more painful, and you will still die. Any last words, my lord?' Slynt started babbling. "Please, m'lord I'll go... I'll go." You already closed that door, Jon thought. "Can I have his boots?" Edd asked as Jon swung Longclaw down in a savage slice. Janos Slynt's head rolled on the ground. "They're made of fine leather, y'know, nearly new!" Jon sheathed Longclaw, and looked at Stannis. He gave a small nod and then turned around and walked away.

This is the basic ending, and the dialogue is almost word for word, I think. I've forgotten the little flourishes GRRM added to it but that's pretty close. Maybe it was because he was reading it, but the part with Dolorious Edd asking for the boots seemed a bit out of place.

Edited by Brush Guy

*g* well, "dibs on his boots" is basically traditional in historical military environments, whenever somebody bites it. Reminds me for example of the Sharpe books.

*g* well, "dibs on his boots" is basically traditional in historical military environments, whenever somebody bites it. Reminds me for example of the Sharpe books.

That would be ok. But the request sounds potentially like gloating, depending on how the scene is actually written. Especially coming from that joker Dolorous Edd.

Maybe it needs another line, something like: "'Ass,' Jon muttered, in a voice to low for Tollett to hear."

I liked the hanging. As an execution method for traitors and non-nobles it showed the contempt Jon hold for one of Ned's murderers. On the other hand, it seems that beheading is a, or the fitting way for a Stark to execute a traitor to the NW, so it makes more sense.

Was there a line, too, about Jon having/wanting to do it himself?

Yes, I took the hanging as quite contemptuous. As for Starks and hanging... well, I'm pretty sure George never forgot Robb was Ned's son, but Robb had Karstark's accomplices hanged. I think it's a very contextual sort of rule.

Well, it really would make sense if Starks always behead traitorous members of the NW. There has to be a reason why Ned traveled to that Keep to execute Gared. Sure, he was the in charge of this business, but he certainly was unable to execute every death sentence in the whole North or his lands personally.

I like to see that a sign of respect for the duties of the NW. The Starks will kill you, if you desert the NW, but if you are lucky they will behead you personally ;-).

I never doubted that the Starks also do all the maiming and executing stuff in a similar, or more unpleasant manner than the Andal Lords. They are supposed to be a dark and cold people, and it is intriguing that Winterfell does not seem to have a large dungeon or something like that.

The Arryns and Lannisters obviously take a certain pleasure in incarcerating their enemies (sky cells, caves as dungeons), but the Kings in the North did not have much resources to spare on prisoners, especially in not in winter.

When thinking about that Slynt thing - I really like the hanging more. I already pictured that thing. Jon staring into his eyes while he died and all, and Stannis watching Jon and the whole scene. A head on the floor just brings that Theon scene back into mind, and a beheading really does not work as well as a not-so-well-in-advance-planned execution. You just need a rope a few guys to hang someone, whereas you need some guys holding the delinquent, a sword/axe, a stump, and a sober guy to do the dirty work if you want to behead someone.

But then, the scene certainly is going to be equally powerful with a beheading. But right now the hanging really showed Jon's contempt for Slynt more. And it also may be a stronger sign for Jon's determination to be the Lord Commander, the man who rules the NW.