Hookups

micswitch

[quote name='Lone Wolf' post='1298749' date='Apr 3 2008, 03.42']I'd like to see a hook-up between Jon and Melisandre. Not a relationship, but a sudden one-time (or two) fling.[/quote]No, no, no, no, NO. Melisandre is exactly the kind of poster-child psycho chick that you steer as far clear of as humanly possible. If your friend/king starts dating her, then you move to Pentos until he comes to his senses or dies. You do not, DO NOT, mix in. Down that road lies madness.

I don't care HOW hot she is. You'd be safer schtupping Cersei. And that's not even considering that, in addition to being a woman, Mel is also a black magician.

Or, you just kill her now. (But that doesn't seem to work so well.)

[quote name='Black Wizard' post='1299482' date='Apr 3 2008, 20.12']Was Aerys even going to kill half a million people (or mabye you're thinking about the wildfire)? He was in the middle of a war, and half a million people often die in wars regardless of the leader's sanity. Tywin Lannister authorised the rape and murder of hundereds of people inside King's Landing, but none of his oath-men tried to kill him.[/quote]

Yes I was referring to Aerys being about to blow up KL and its half a million inhabitants as his pyre. Some hundreds people dead after the sack is in no relation to that.

[quote]What's strategically mad about it? Dornish soldiers hold the passes to the North, the Ironborn are causing chaos in the West, and the Faith is causing chaos in the East. At Dorne Daenerys will increase the size of her army and be free from the madness that's occuring elsewhere.[/quote]
But then Dany must also cross the very same passes which can easily be blocked by the Tyrells or whomever....

[quote name='Wisp' post='1299361' date='Apr 3 2008, 08.50']The Oath that the NW swears states very clearly that the Watch "shall not end until my death." When you consider individuals such as Beric Dondarrion and Catelyn Stark, death is not always a permanent status in Westeros. What I was stating is that, technically, death would absolve Jon of his duties--and if he were to be revived by a red priest, he would still be absolved of the vows because he fulfilled them when he died at the Wall. I'm not saying that it's [i]likely[/i], but that it's an option.[/quote]

Crap, why does this give me visions of Melisandre administering the kiss of death to Jon? If Thoros can do it, why not her?

[quote name='JoannaL' post='1299519' date='Apr 3 2008, 19.32']Yes I was referring to Aerys being about to blow up KL and its half a million inhabitants as his pyre. Some hundreds people dead after the sack is in no relation to that.[/quote]
Did Jaime know that he was going to blow up the city? I presume he must have since he killed the Hand as well.

[quote]But then Dany must also cross the very same passes which can easily be blocked by the Tyrells or whomever....[/quote]
Remember what Aegon the Conqueror's Dragons did to Harrenhall and the armies of the Reach.

The idea of Jon and Dany makes me puke for some reason. Ew. GRRM could make it work, but it's such...pretty-people fanficky sex.

Jaime and Brienne is, like, my ASOIAF dream. Sandor and Sansa are an awesome pair too. And I want Tyrion to get Dany, somehow. It would be a much more interesting pairing than Jon-Dany, IMO.

[quote name='Brienne of Tarth' post='1300029' date='Apr 3 2008, 19.44']The idea of Jon and Dany makes me puke for some reason. Ew. GRRM could make it work, but it's such...pretty-people fanficky sex.[/quote]

I totally agree with you. I read ASoIaF because I like that it doesnt resemble every other fantasy series. If I wanted to read about two beautiful people "hooking up" I would read Nora Roberts and Danielle Steele. I love the thought of Sansa and Sandor and I like the thought of Tyrion and Dany even more. I want to see the "cripples" in a story get paid their due and find love too dammit!

I'd just like to say that, while I expect Danaerys coming across plenty of potential romantic partners, the Elizabethan idea of being married to her country I find much more romantic.

As for other "hook-ups," it would be great for Tyrion to find Tysha again, though I suspect, if she isn't dead, she has moved on with her life and started another family. It would be nice for him to find her again though, and come to peace with his past with her.

I like to see Arya and Gendry end up together, should Gendry be legitamized (which he may need be as the Baratheon line will likely be extinguished by the end of all this). I can't imagine her ending up with some softer prince/lord. And I think it'd be sweet if a Baratheon and Stark finally ended up with one another.

It would have been nice if Sansa had seen the beauty in Tyrion while they were still living together in King's Landing, but I have a feeling that is too soured now, both with Tyrion's suspecting Sansa being in the plot to kill Joffrey and Sansa not being able to love someone like Tyrion with his "downfall" after killing his father (though it didn't seem to matter with Sandor...)

[quote name='Brienne of Tarth' post='1300029' date='Apr 4 2008, 00.44']The idea of Jon and Dany makes me puke for some reason. Ew. GRRM could make it work, but it's such...pretty-people fanficky sex.

Jaime and Brienne is, like, my ASOIAF dream. Sandor and Sansa are an awesome pair too. And I want Tyrion to get Dany, somehow. It would be a much more interesting pairing than Jon-Dany, IMO.[/quote]
I agree with you about Jon and Dany, it just seems too cheesey and obvious. Assuming that the Lyanna and Rhaegar theory is true, don't forget that Daenerys is Jon's [i]Aunt[/i]. I know that the Targaryen's married their siblings but Jon and Dany would be different generations! Jon has been brought up in the Stark household and there was never any chance of him shagging Arya and Sansa. If Jon [i]is[/i] Rhaegar's son then surely he'll be repulsed by the idea of marrying his Aunt. Love could develop between them, but not sexual love, but [i]Philia[/i] or [i]Storge[/i], love for friends or family.

I'm not to keen on the Tyrion and Daenrys idea though, but I'm sure the Imp would be all for it!

Why is Jon and Dany cheesey?

IMHO the Targs intermarried out of two reasons:
a) To keep the 'blood of the dragon' pure - that may be very important in a time were actual dragons are around
b) To not enhance the claim on the iron throne of one of the other big families-we have seem where their squabble lead to for four books now and I think it is politically very wise to stand away from that.

So, if Jon is a Targ than Dany will sure marry him, its the obvious choice, and just the normal fate of every highborn man and woman in the realm that you cannot choose a partner out of love .
It may be that Jon finds it a little akward to marry an aunt but well, highborn people have no choice and Jon does always try to do what is good for the realm. And I think with time they may like each other, Jon also liked Ygritte (and he also didnt choose her)

Apart from that isn't Sandor /Sansa much cheesier - the obvious beauty and the beast motive?

I would so much prefer Sansa and Tyrion.

[quote name='Black Wizard' post='1300637' date='Apr 4 2008, 09.36']Assuming that the Lyanna and Rhaegar theory is true, don't forget that Daenerys is Jon's [i]Aunt[/i]. I know that the Targaryen's married their siblings but Jon and Dany would be different generations! . . . If Jon [i]is[/i] Rhaegar's son then surely he'll be repulsed by the idea of marrying his Aunt.[/quote]You strike me as some one who didn't have any hot aunts younger than you. It's not all that hard for the first grandson to be older than the last daughter.

In this case, Jon and Daenerys are more or less identical in age. It's no weirder* than kissing cousins. Plus, how you think of a person is strongly influenced by how you are introduced to them. "Lord Commander, this is the Queen."

*Which, itself, is a little weird, but not completely repulsive, I just sayin'.

Why does Dany need to marry another Targaryen though? She might choose not to. Ser Barristan will be telling her about Aerys' madness (which is surely a result of intermarriage) and then Dany might think "Hmm, mabye intermarriage isn't such a great thing after all."

Dany and Jon are a bit more stereotypically fantasy heroes than Sansa or Sandor, though it's true that Sansa and Sandor is a recognizable romance "type". Many things in ASOIAF are archetypical, it's more that he invigorates and writes them well. But it stands to reason that different people will find different cases a success or a failure.

I don't do straight up shipping in ASOIAF, it doesn't come off as that kind of a series to me. But when I do it's usually more about the characters than the "type" of romance. I don't get attracted to "wrong side of the tracks" or "good girl/bad boy" or stuff like that in themselves, if I like a character then I tend to like their storylines including but not limited to romances, and if I like both characters then I'm golden.

That's why I enjoy Jaime and Brienne's storyline, the characters are dimensional and not flat to me. But to me "shipping" often means you expect a pay-off and I don't find ASOIAF to be that kind of story at all.

Myself and Sansa...

If the filthy hound as much as touches her it had better be the last book because I'll throw away the series.

You've all ruined my day with this Hound/Sansa talk. Everytime I see it somewhere I get upset.

[quote name='thick' post='1300818' date='Apr 4 2008, 16.51']Myself and Sansa...

If the filthy hound as much as touches her it had better be the last book because I'll throw away the series.

You've all ruined my day with this Hound/Sansa talk. Everytime I see it somewhere I get upset.[/quote]

Yeah, Id do Sansa (Im only fourteen people)

[quote name='Wrex' post='1300923' date='Apr 4 2008, 13.14']Yeah, Id do Sansa (Im only fourteen people)[/quote]Margaery, Meera, Mya Stone. Definitely Mya Stone. I could never get the Ygritte thing, though. I've always imagined that she didn't bathe often. Don't know why that is. Jeyne Westerling. Sand snakes. Yeah, sand snakes. Except the darned sand gets [i]everywhere[/i] -- the beach is not as romantic as it sounds.

[quote name='JoannaL' post='1300710' date='Apr 4 2008, 16.40']Apart from that isn't Sandor /Sansa much cheesier - the obvious beauty and the beast motive?

I would so much prefer Sansa and Tyrion.[/quote]

So you don't like The Beauty and the Beast, instead you like The Beauty and The Beast n.2?
:drunk:

Archived