Big Bang Theory

Bormon

I have been catching up on this show on DVR. And the show is really growing on me.

I get the feeling that the concept of the show has changed. At first I think the show was sort of built up with the premise of the hott blond brings the geeks into the real world. But now it seems more like, the geeks bring the hott blond into their world.

Hopefully the show continues for another season.

[quote name='Blaine23' post='1326583' date='Apr 23 2008, 11.37']So it's basically a scripted version of Beauty and the Geek with unfunny jokes? I watched about half of the first episode and I've been okay with never watching it again.[/quote]

The first show was not great, but it has gotten better. I will have to admit, that some of the appeal of the show is all of the traditional geek references (Star Trek, comic books, etc....) and the role they played in my life.

Its enjoyable enough to watch.

It does seem to be one of those shows that splits opinions on it down the middle. Most of my friends either love it and watch it or despise it and wonder out loud why we watch it.

I absolutely LOVE this show. I've seen all the episodes, some of them multiple times, and they crack me up so much. Sheldon :love:.

[i]"Every Saturday I sit here and watch Doctor Who. But after 23 minutes it's more like Doctor Why Bother."

Leonard: You are not Isaac Newton.
Sheldon: No, no, that's true. Gravity would have been apparent to me without the apple.

Penny: "Leonard lied to me...? Sheldon, imagine how I'm feeling right now..."
Sheldon: "...Hungry? Tired? Indigestion?--I'm sorry, this really isn't my strong suit.

Penny: I'm a Sagittarius, which probably tells you way more than you need to know.
Sheldon: Yes, it tells us that you participate in the mass cultural delusion that the Sun's apparent position relevant to arbitrarily defined constellations at the time of your birth somehow affects your personality.
Penny: Participate in the what?

Sheldon: I'll have a diet Coke.
Penny: Can you please order a cocktail? I need to practice mixing drinks.
Sheldon: Fine... I'll have a virgin Cuba Libre.
Penny: That's... rum and Coke without the rum.
Sheldon: Yes, and would you make it diet?

"You have about as much chance of going out with Penny as the Hubble Telescope has of finding that at the center of each black hole there's a little man with a flashlight trying to find the circuit breaker."[/i]

Ahhh okay, I'll stop. But this is one of my favorite shows now, and I love the mix of blatant nerd stereotyping and then the subtler humor that isn't readily apparent to the average viewer. Hell, with only 3 years of undergrad physics, I think I miss some of the jokes!

[quote name='Starkess' post='1326657' date='Apr 23 2008, 13.04']I absolutely LOVE this show. I've seen all the episodes, some of them multiple times, and they crack me up so much. Sheldon :love:.

[i]"Every Saturday I sit here and watch Doctor Who. But after 23 minutes it's more like Doctor Why Bother."

Leonard: You are not Isaac Newton.
Sheldon: No, no, that's true. Gravity would have been apparent to me without the apple.

Penny: "Leonard lied to me...? Sheldon, imagine how I'm feeling right now..."
Sheldon: "...Hungry? Tired? Indigestion?--I'm sorry, this really isn't my strong suit.

Penny: I'm a Sagittarius, which probably tells you way more than you need to know.
Sheldon: Yes, it tells us that you participate in the mass cultural delusion that the Sun's apparent position relevant to arbitrarily defined constellations at the time of your birth somehow affects your personality.
Penny: Participate in the what?

Sheldon: I'll have a diet Coke.
Penny: Can you please order a cocktail? I need to practice mixing drinks.
Sheldon: Fine... I'll have a virgin Cuba Libre.
Penny: That's... rum and Coke without the rum.
Sheldon: Yes, and would you make it diet?

"You have about as much chance of going out with Penny as the Hubble Telescope has of finding that at the center of each black hole there's a little man with a flashlight trying to find the circuit breaker."[/i]

Ahhh okay, I'll stop. But this is one of my favorite shows now, and I love the mix of blatant nerd stereotyping and then the subtler humor that isn't readily apparent to the average viewer. Hell, with only 3 years of undergrad physics, I think I miss some of the jokes![/quote]

:lmao:

oh, I am sooo going to look for more quotes now.

[quote name='SirRots' post='1326757' date='Apr 23 2008, 13.46']Does anyone know and can explain to me the chicken and the vaccum joke, the concept of it was funny enough but I was totally lost about it.[/quote]

The joke was this I think

[quote]There was a farmer and his chickens stopped laying eggs. He called in a physicist to help. After a few days the physicist came back and said, "Good news, I know how to solve the problem, but only for a spherical chicken in a vacuum[/quote]

Its funny because theoretical physics only works in the vacuum of space and for geometric objects (at least thats the knock against it)

The show needs to nose dive the laugh track and let the awkwardness of nerdity/geekieness stand on its own. Then it would move up a notch, but for me, doesn't float my boat and I end up irritated.

[quote name='Bormon' post='1326866' date='Apr 23 2008, 13.33']Its funny because theoretical physics only works in the vacuum of space and for geometric objects (at least thats the knock against it)

:lmao:[/quote]

I laughed my ASS off when they told that joke, mostly laughing at myself for actually a) getting it and b) having heard it before!

[quote]Its funny because theoretical physics only works in the vacuum of space and for geometric objects (at least thats the knock against it)[/quote]

I got my bachelor's in physics last year and our physics department made t-shirts (yes, we are nerds) that had a spherical giraffe on it because in the office for those of us that were seniors we had an inflatable spherical giraffe and it was joked about in the same way. So I think pretty much everyone who has done enough physics thought that joke was hilarious, but no one else at all thought it was funny.

I like this show, I know people like this.
I loved that Sheldon was the Doppler effect for Halloween and everybody thought he was a bar code. :rofl:
Its also cool that the nerds are ok with being nerds they are not trying to change.

[quote name='Bormon' post='1326598' date='Apr 23 2008, 12.41']The first show was not great, but it has gotten better. I will have to admit, that some of the appeal of the show is all of the traditional geek references (Star Trek, comic books, etc....) and the role they played in my life.[/quote]

It started to grow on me a little too...then the strike hit. Now I'll watch it if I catch it, but otherwise, eh.

My issue with (the early episodes especially) was that they tried so hard to have these geeks be every single stereotype of geekdom, and be awesome at them all. Star Trek, Doctor Who, video games, D&D, comic books, the science and math, etc. etc. They we'ren't just geeks, they were the uber-geeks that Hitler would have wanted if he wanted geeks to rule the earth rather than blond, fit super-men. Y'know? I mean, we're all geeks in some way or another, especially on this Forum, but to such levels? C'mon!

I've always been sort of curious about this show ever since I heard it was about Caltech physicists and their wacky adventures.

Then I thought, "Wait a second, doesn't CBS already have this show? It's called Numb3rs, only not quite so wacky and for some reason the producers on that show changed the name."

And then I thought, "Wait, I've probably already lived this show and heard its puns/bad nerd jokes. And what's with the lack of main characters who are female nerds....again?"

But I'm still sort of curious. :P

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1327311' date='Apr 23 2008, 19.36']My issue with (the early episodes especially) was that they tried so hard to have these geeks be every single stereotype of geekdom, and be awesome at them all. Star Trek, Doctor Who, video games, D&D, comic books, the science and math, etc. etc. They we'ren't just geeks, they were the uber-geeks that Hitler would have wanted if he wanted geeks to rule the earth rather than blond, fit super-men. Y'know? I mean, we're all geeks in some way or another, especially on this Forum, but to such levels? C'mon![/quote]
Err... there are many people like that... actually...

*sheepishly hides in corner*

As for the show, haven't seen it. Heard bad things about it early on, and never caught it. I may have to try and catch an episode now, because some of those quotes were really funny...

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1327311' date='Apr 23 2008, 19.36']My issue with (the early episodes especially) was that they tried so hard to have these geeks be every single stereotype of geekdom, and be awesome at them all. Star Trek, Doctor Who, video games, D&D, comic books, the science and math, etc. etc. They we'ren't just geeks, they were the uber-geeks that Hitler would have wanted if he wanted geeks to rule the earth rather than blond, fit super-men. Y'know? I mean, we're all geeks in some way or another, especially on this Forum, but to such levels? C'mon![/quote]

I think thats one of the things that makes the show so funny, they are the extreme geek. Though each one has his own "speciality" of geek.

Though I think I almost lost it, when they went to the Planet of the Apes movie-a-thon and everybody was wearing chimp masks....

[quote name='Kat' post='1327384' date='Apr 23 2008, 20.42']And then I thought, "Wait, I've probably already lived this show and heard its puns/bad nerd jokes. And what's with the lack of main characters who are female nerds....again?"[/quote]

They do have one female semi-regular nerd character, played by Sara Gilbert.

Archived