ASoIaF: The Pen-and-Paper RPG

I talked to the developers from Green Ronin at GenCon this year, and they gave me the impression that the game was finished back in August, but it was waiting for final approval by GRRM before it could be officially released. Anyone know anything about that?

[quote name='Ser Bryon' post='1594230' date='Nov 19 2008, 14.43']I talked to the developers from Green Ronin at GenCon this year, and they gave me the impression that the game was finished back in August, but it was waiting for final approval by GRRM before it could be officially released. Anyone know anything about that?[/quote]

The last time an update was posted over at the GR boards they were still waiting on approval.

Judging by the shoddy preview, I hope GRRM sent them back to the drawing board. Honestly, no one with even meanest knowledge of Westeros would have made some of the obvious theme-related mistakes present.

Half the folks on this board could have pointed them out if given the chance. Me thinks Green Ronin might want to hire someone who's actually read the series to proof read the damn thing....

That's without delving into the ruleset at all, which in my opinion is kind of lame. I actually thought the d20 version (though flawed) showed real promise. GURPS would have been the best way to go, rule-wise, but they probably don't have the cash for the license.

[quote name='Juba' post='1601980' date='Nov 27 2008, 18.33']That's without delving into the ruleset at all, which in my opinion is kind of lame. I actually thought the d20 version (though flawed) showed real promise. GURPS would have been the best way to go, rule-wise, but they probably don't have the cash for the license.[/quote]

i disagree. I think the new d6 based rule system was very well suited to the game they designed. it is reminicent of Shadowrun 3E which is the second best system ever created. d20 is rather stale and i am glad they decided not to go with it.

as far as GURPS goes... well my mother always said if I can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

Even if this new ruleset was the best ever conceived by man, it wouldn't mean a damn thing when Green Ronin didn't even bother to hire a series theme consultant who knows his boiled leather from his smallclothes, his mad folly from his mummers farce, his Dornish red from his Arbor gold, not to mention the importance of Piety, Prayer and Devotion.

GR should have hired Ran because he's too clever by half.....and he always pays the iron price.

[quote name='Juba' post='1602685' date='Nov 28 2008, 19.44']Even if this new ruleset was the best ever conceived by man, it wouldn't mean a damn thing when Green Ronin didn't even bother to hire a series theme consultant who knows his boiled leather from his smallclothes, his mad folly from his mummers farce, his Dornish red from his Arbor gold, not to mention the importance of Piety, Prayer and Devotion.

GR should have hired Ran because he's too clever by half.....and he always pays the iron price.[/quote]

i agree that if they weren't up to snuff on the series, they need to get that way before the game is released. I just think the new system had real potential.

I just want the book to come out so that I can make a decision on how good or bad it is, one way or another. The teaser had some obvious problems, but anyone who had a decent understanding of the world could change the flaws and make it something their own.

I can't count the number of times I've had to change something for a game I was running because the published material was wrong or just plain stupid. Ultimately, the people running the game get to decide what they use and what they don't from any published material. I could run an ASOIAF RPG using any old system with a bit of effort, but I would much rather have the resource that Green Ronin has waiting in line, flawed though it may be.

[quote name='Ser Bryon' post='1604445' date='Dec 1 2008, 08.41']I just want the book to come out so that I can make a decision on how good or bad it is, one way or another. The teaser had some obvious problems, but anyone who had a decent understanding of the world could change the flaws and make it something their own.

I can't count the number of times I've had to change something for a game I was running because the published material was wrong or just plain stupid. Ultimately, the people running the game get to decide what they use and what they don't from any published material. I could run an ASOIAF RPG using any old system with a bit of effort, but I would much rather have the resource that Green Ronin has waiting in line, flawed though it may be.[/quote]

me too. i run a d&d 3.5 game now that's been going for 3 years and i have a whole book full of "house rules" to deal with the issues we have encountered in that system.

heh, my band is actually based out of inianapolis/lafayette, and i have some Song of Ice and Fire fans I will be running in my ASoI&F RPG game when it comes out. we should hook up when it does Ser Bryon.

• 1 month later...
The RPG is at the printer. :) We've got a link to GR's page and some Amazon links for some of the mentioned products [url="http://www.westeros.org/ASoWS/News/Entry/3096/"]at All Sorts of Weird Stuff[/url].

So far I like the artwork.. hehe. I will probably purchase the books as an ASOIAF-fan, but I find the idea of role playing in Westeros a bit .. difficult to gamemaster. It is better to happily work on my own, heavily ASOIAF/medieval history-inspired game world and use the amazing [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Riddle_of_Steel"]The Riddle of Steel[/url] system, which is as perfect as it gets for an ASOIAF-game (it has no rules covering intrigue duels though, but we have had plenty of intrigues without them anyway).

• 1 month later...
I like the art of the preview also. However, reading it has given me a huge doubt.

The text implies that Lann the Clever was a First Men. I was under the impression that he was an andal adventurer, because of his blond hair and because the Lannisters never claim descent from the First Men.

So was I wrong, or it's their msitake?

He is a legendary First Man of the Age of Heroes, and the Lannisters claim descent from him on the distaff side (i.e. the matrilineal side). Meaning that the founder of the Lannister line married some First Man woman who was allegedly descended from Lann the Clever, and the Lannisters took their last name from him.

I'm not sure if GR has corrected the download problems, but [url="http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=60554&affiliate_id=24360"]Drive Thru Stuff[/url] also has it for those familiar with that site.

Archived