Nasmith Wish List

Ran

So, it looks like Ted will be doing a few more paintings for us. One or two of them are already settled, but we're in discussion with George and Anne about what the other two pieces should be.

What castles, landscapes, or cities would you like Ted to do? And you don't need to limit yourself to the Seven Kingdoms here -- beyond the Wall, the Free Cities and beyond, the Summer Isles, etc. -- what do you think would be a great addition to the world book?

Can't guarantee anyone's idea is going to be used, but if anything gets a wave of popular demand, we'll keep it in mind. :)

Mereen is very exotic, and Quarth is a good choice too. Is Vaes Dothrak an option? Some popular place in Braavos? (Perhaps so we can see the cannals). The Titan of Braavos sounds nice. I can't remember much of the temples in Braavos, though.

Qarth is something that jumped to my mind first, too ;-).

Then, of course, Asshai, the Shadow-lands, Yi Ti, Meereen (the latter maybe already with Daenerys ruling it and dragons in the air above it).

Some locations we already knew from the Free Cities could be interesting, too (meaning Braavos and Pentos). Pentos could be drawn with the focus on Illyrio's mansion.

And Braavos with the House of Black and White (or, maybe, with the House with the Red Door - GRRM should Arya let see it in ADwD).

Westerosi locations to be seen would mainly be the holdfasts of the most powerful (and more treacherous) lesser Houses, i. e. the Dreadfort, the Twins (although I've seen enough of them), Brightwater Keep, Runestone, Starfall and Yronwood.

Farther, we could see Summerhall as it once was and how it's now. The same with the Tower of Joy.

Then there would be the smallest finger with Lord Baelish's tower. And the God's Eye with the Isle of Faces.

The think I'd enjoy most would be a depiction of each of the nine Free Cities. Since having just one or two wouldn't have much sense, perhaps I'd prefer more Westerosi locations than exotic ones. In the book there are already good descriptions of how Qarth and the Ghiscari cities look like.

Besides the ones already mentioned, I think we've never seen depictions of Gulltown and the White Harbor.

Thinking a bit about this, here are two ideas that are hopefully a bit different:

1. The Water Gardens. That would be lovely. People aren't Nasmith force, so there's no strong prerequisite to see children playing in the water. But I imagine pools, Moorish architecture, vine-clad columns, palms. If there would be an overripe orange on the floor I'd have a big grin on my face.

2. Ashford Meadow at the time of the Hedge Knight. The castle can be in the background, but the focus of the scene would be dozens of pavilions in strong colours.
[quote]The shadows of the afternoon were growing long when Dunk reined up on the edge of broad Ashford Meadow. Three score pavilions had already risen on the grassy field. Some were small, some large; some square, some round; some of sailcloth, some of linen, some of silk; but all were brightly colored, with long banners streaming from their center poles, brighter than a field of wildflowers with rich reds and sunny yellows, countless shades of green and blue, deep blacks and greys and purples.[/quote]

No need to post links to images not hosted with permission. They can be had from Nasmith's own site.

This is a discussion of images in addition to the ones he's done. They aren't replacements.

I'd love to see a close shot of the Great Sept of Baelor but that's obviously not a priority as it's in the background of the Red Keep picture. Braavos would be my first pick for anything in the East followed by Vaes Dothrak

I think Braavos (colossus!) and/or Qarth would be good since a character has already been there, and the sound pretty impressive. Starfall and maybe Golden Tooth or Runestone sound interesting out of the places we haven't seen yet.

Argh... a little late, but I really would like to see some of those already mentioned upthread: (i.e. Braavos, Vaes Dotherak, Water Gardens, Dreadfort, ToJ, Starfall, Summerhall, Fist of the First Men).

But moreso I would love to see: Valyria (pre-Doom) and the Night Fort. Speaking of NW forts: the Shadow Tower and Eastwatch would be interesting just to see what the Wall looks like up against such geologic barriers (i.e. At Eastwatch does it end at a cliff or can one get around the Wall at low tide?) I suppose Craster's Keep would be interesting too, but not as much as the others.

Nasmith's stuff is spectacular!!!

Qarth was my first thought as well.

Not really realistic, but it would be intersting to see a picture of Petyr Baelish's lands - the ones he was born to inheret, obviously, not Harrenhal or the Eyrie. It would be an intersting contrast, to see the seats of the high lords compared to the seat of a very low lord.

• 2 weeks later...
I believe it would be fascinating to get some imagery from Nasmith from outside of Westeros. Especially since Qarth and Braavos in particular are described in such detail and play important roles in the story. So toss me into the group that wants Nasmith to show some places outside of Westeros, notably:

[b]The western region of the "unnamed" continent[/b]:

[b]Braavos[/b] - Important to Arya's storyline, Sam's storyline and it would certainly be cool to see the Titan of Braavos depicted by Nasmith.

[b]Valyria[/b] - I would actually like to see Valyria in ruins, with "the doom" -- now a volcanic landscape surrounded by geological upheavals, poisonous seas and sulfurous ashy backdrops, amid ruins of what was once the pinnacle of civilization and cultural power.

[b]The eastern region of the "unnamed" continent[/b]:

[b]Qarth[/b] - One of the largest cities on the planet. Fascinating architecture and currently the high civilization of the unnamed continent. Got to include this one.

As for possibly another stronghold on Westeros, I'd have to go with:

[b]The Twins[/b] -- one event here already plays a huge role in the plot of the series.

Archived