Mod progress

Gampie

Good question. We got help from a senior modder over at TWC(GrnEyedDvl, who appears to lurk here as well?) who wrote a season script that could simulate the endless summer/winter effect very nicely, with proper aging and all. I was just tuning it out in the newest build yesterday as a matter of fact, the thing was sleek.

Oh and units from different regions will of course have different bonuses, Northmen will perform better in snow and woods, Dornish better in deserts and so on.

Yes, open descr_settlement_mechanics.xml and go to this line.

[code] <factor name="SOF_DISTANCE_TO_CAPITAL">
<pip_modifier value="1.25"/>
<castle_modifier value="1.0"/>
<city_modifier value="1.5"/>
<pip_min value="0"/>
<pip_max value="16"/>
</factor>[/code]
Decrease the values of pip_modifier or pip_max to lower the penalty.

[quote name='Gampie' post='1479003' date='Aug 13 2008, 17.38']Yes, open descr_settlement_mechanics.xml and go to this line.

[code] <factor name="SOF_DISTANCE_TO_CAPITAL">
<pip_modifier value="1.25"/>
<castle_modifier value="1.0"/>
<city_modifier value="1.5"/>
<pip_min value="0"/>
<pip_max value="16"/>
</factor>[/code]
Decrease the values of pip_modifier or pip_max to lower the penalty.[/quote]

Cool. Will it be lowered at all for the mod? Or will that be something we will have to do ourselves once its released?

Will there be cultural bonuses/penalties in taking over areas, such as Dorne?

Truth be told, I haven't bothered yet changing those files. Public order is less a concern in our mod than in vanilla. But that might change, especially for the big settlements like King's Landing. Flea Bottom low-lives make unruly citizens at best.

Cultural penalties is something of the Kingdoms expansion, no? Its substitute in vanilla is religion.
However, when a foreign faction invades the Dornish peninsula, he will encounter fiercer resistance. Whenever a Dornish settlement is besieged, the local populace takes up their spears and rallies to the walls to hold off the outlanders (read: several units will spawn in the Dornish castle when it's besieged). Outside of the Dorne the Martell player will not enjoy this benefit (which makes sense).

[quote name='Gampie' post='1480599' date='Aug 14 2008, 18.11']Truth be told, I haven't bothered yet changing those files. Public order is less a concern in our mod than in vanilla. But that might change, especially for the big settlements like King's Landing. Flea Bottom low-lives make unruly citizens at best.

Cultural penalties is something of the Kingdoms expansion, no? Its substitute in vanilla is religion.
However, when a foreign faction invades the Dornish peninsula, he will encounter fiercer resistance. Whenever a Dornish settlement is besieged, the local populace takes up their spears and rallies to the walls to hold off the outlanders (read: several units will spawn in the Dornish castle when it's besieged). Outside of the Dorne the Martell player will not enjoy this benefit (which makes sense).[/quote]

Sweeeet. That will make invading Dorne that much more fun. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, it's been a long time out of here. The mod is getting more and more interesting every time I check this forum.

Maybe a general unrest biased upon distance to the capital is not a main characteristic of this mod, but I think it would fit for Kingslanding. Or at least some kind of unrest. There were some bad riots in the city, and this would add some difficulty to keep the city, a good add on for the new crown claiming system, IMO.

Regarding the North, I've a similar idea about them. Huge, lowly populated and wild, it's like Russia. It should be nearly impossible to move armies over there during winter and a bit easier to do it in summer, when it is easier to arrange a campaing, but the ground is still snowy and food is scarce. So on, manpower in Northern cities could be somehow lowered to balance this.

Sorry for my english if someone had problems reading this.

• 2 weeks later...
sorry but does anyone just have a number of how many factions there are? and are all playable? by the way i just want to say that this looks to be shaping up to be like one of the best mods ive ever seen. thanks and well done to all you guys working on it!!

• 2 weeks later...
I posted news of the mod up on the [url="http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/38251"]official Total War forums [/url]as well. It's quite amusing, since the previous version of the mod (under Marcus) was one of the very first announced mods for [i]Medieval II[/i] and has sat stickied up there ever since (almost two years now). I'm guessing a lot of people though it was dead (although the main action is over at TWCenter, I know) :)

Archived