Faction Preview: House Stark

Gampie

[quote name='Aegon the Conqueror' post='1404399' date='Jun 18 2008, 14.14']To tell the truth, I actually don't care about the North... The four factions I dislike are:Renly, Greyjoys, Starks and Tullys...Not because they are bad in the game, but cause I don't like them in the books either :)[/quote]

Fair enough. I'm a fan of the North. And then the Lannisters. But I'm also trying to look at this from a game balance/true to the novels viewpoint.

Just trying to throw out ideas and see where this mod goes. I'll be happy with pretty much anything at this point though.

[quote name='Aegon the Conqueror' post='1404761' date='Jun 18 2008, 17.16']It started as not such a great mod, and now it is something perfect, really. I mean all the retinues, the reskinning, the lords... I can't wait. I know you don't want to spoil the surprise, but please, add just one more faction preview. Pllleeeeeaaaassseeeeeeeee!!![/quote]

:agree:

Never been a big fan of suprises.............I want it all................. :drool:

[quote]What about longbows? There is text in the novels to support northern longbows.[/quote]
These better archers will use longbows and their range will be the same as those of the English Longbowmen you find in vanilla.

[quote]Not trying to push at all. But the North needs those heavy troops, if you are sticking to the Scotish theme, as they lack the heavy horse of the southern factions.[/quote]
[quote]I hope the North gets some more good units. In my opinion the roster looks a bit weak for going head to head with the other factions, but Im not sure if thats just me. .....Common heavy (2 handed) infantry, and heavy horse!!!!![/quote]
The Stark roster will *most likely* not change anymore. They have received already plenty of attention and the other factions desperately cry for a reskin. ;) The good news is that the Tully units are done as well!
I think the Starks can be pleased about their roster. They have strong infantry, men-at-arms, knights, pikemen, cheap militia's and levies, decent archers and good cavalry. They have a nice all-round roster with no real weaknesses. Granted, they don't have the uber cavalry of the Reach but you can't have it all.
Moreover, some other factions really have the right to bitch. Greyjoy for instance, or Martell.
Note that knights will be tougher than in vanilla. They will also be rarer, thus making them more coveted. No longer will you be able to build 1 dismounted knights unit every 2 turn. Expect much longer delays. You'll have to fill your army with levies, outriders, bowmen and men-at-arms.

[quote]For the Lannisters will there be Seargent Spearmen? With the removal of the Billmen their anti-cavalry units are reduced to very few.[/quote]
The Lannisters have the Spear Militia, Armoured Sergeants and the Westerland Pikemen units. Their anti-cavalry units are excellent considering that the Westerland Pikemen have the best pikemen stats in the game.

[quote]It started as not such a great mod, and now it is something perfect, really. I mean all the retinues, the reskinning, the lords... I can't wait. I know you don't want to spoil the surprise, but please, add just one more faction preview. Pllleeeeeaaaassseeeeeeeee!!![/quote]Maybe the Tully faction preview will come soon. It's a lot of work to take screenshots and type all this stuff. But here goes a teaser of the Dismounted Knights unit of House Tully :D :

[url="http://img507.imageshack.us/my.php?image=knightslh2.jpg"]http://img507.imageshack.us/my.php?image=knightslh2.jpg[/url]

[quote name='Gampie' post='1405894' date='Jun 19 2008, 10.24']These better archers will use longbows and their range will be the same as those of the English Longbowmen you find in vanilla.[/quote]
Sweet.

[quote name='Gampie' post='1405894' date='Jun 19 2008, 10.24']I think the Starks can be pleased about their roster. They have strong infantry, men-at-arms, knights, pikemen, cheap militia's and levies, decent archers and good cavalry. They have a nice all-round roster with no real weaknesses. Granted, they don't have the uber cavalry of the Reach but you can't have it all.[/quote]

Didn't expect the best cavalry in the game. Sorry to give that impression.

I've just always enjoyed having 2 handed infantry. I guess my next question is will other factions have acess to the Dismounted English(French, etc.) Knights unit? That was why I was pushing for the Highland nobles. And they had looked cool in earlier screen shots, so I was bummed when they were removed.

[quote name='Gampie' post='1405894' date='Jun 19 2008, 10.24']Moreover, some other factions really have the right to bitch. Greyjoy for instance, or Martell.
Note that knights will be tougher than in vanilla. They will also be rarer, thus making them more coveted. No longer will you be able to build 1 dismounted knights unit every 2 turn. Expect much longer delays. You'll have to fill your army with levies, outriders, bowmen and men-at-arms.[/quote]
Sounds good. How will the unit cost be adjusted? Or will the costs stay the same?

Nice Tully arms. A Tully review would be great!

For Dorne, I'd suggest cheaper and more effective spears as their specialty(not necessarily armoured sergeants, armor seems kinda strange on Dornish spearmen)

For Greyjoy, they should have very strong infantry with armor piercing stats(axes, two hand axes, Danish stuff) BTW, Danish was considered OP in the vanilla game since they boast the best early units. I think this might work in our advantage, since Greyjoys already have plenty of weaknesses(less horse, bad lands, culture differences etc)

[quote]Didn't expect the best cavalry in the game. Sorry to give that impression.[/quote]
I know you did not expect that. I was just stating something in general, not directed to you. No need to apologise. :)

[quote]I've just always enjoyed having 2 handed infantry. I guess my next question is will other factions have acess to the Dismounted English(French, etc.) Knights unit? That was why I was pushing for the Highland nobles. And they had looked cool in earlier screen shots, so I was bummed when they were removed.[/quote]
The other dismounted french, portugese and english knights are definitely in. They will be among the more elite units in the mod.
Sorry for the highland nobles but they are a bit too Scottish. But the Levy Northmen use a two-handed axe.

[quote]Sounds good. How will the unit cost be adjusted? Or will the costs stay the same?[/quote]
I'm thinking about increasing the hitpoints for mounted knights, with a higher upkeep as a result. Costs for almost all knights will go up slightly or in some cases a lot. Tyrell will field the most powerful mounted knight unit.

[quote]For Dorne, I'd suggest cheaper and more effective spears as their specialty(not necessarily armoured sergeants, armor seems kinda strange on Dornish spearmen)[/quote]
Yes, they're famous for their spears. I was thinking they could have medium armour, good stamina, an anti-cavalry fighting bonus, good defence skill and a relatively low upkeep.

[quote]For Greyjoy, they should have very strong infantry with armor piercing stats(axes, two hand axes, Danish stuff) BTW, Danish was considered OP in the vanilla game since they boast the best early units. I think this might work in our advantage, since Greyjoys already have plenty of weaknesses(less horse, bad lands, culture differences etc)[/quote]
Exactly my idea as well. Can't add anything to that because that's the way I think it should be.

Btw, what's "OP"?
edit: now I see, at urbandictionary.com it's listed as 'Original poster' or 'overpowered'. I assume it's the latter meaning. One is never old enough to learn something new. :)

[quote name='Gampie' post='1406915' date='Jun 19 2008, 18.42']The other dismounted french, portugese and english knights are definitely in. They will be among the more elite units in the mod.
Sorry for the highland nobles but they are a bit too Scottish. But the Levy Northmen use a two-handed axe.[/quote]

Well if you used the heavy mail version of the nobles they would have no kilts. No skinning required.

Or, you could use the zweihander model, or the ulster swordsmen from the Irish in Kingdoms, and give them a color change. I dunno just ideas.

The ulster swordsmen are sweet because the can upgrade to partial plate I think, making them almost even against the dismounted english knights.

And they don't look too southron.

[quote name='aeoleron9' post='1408119' date='Jun 20 2008, 13.17']Jak, the mod is vanilla only so we won't be seeing any Kingdoms features. I like two-hand swords too, but I respect Gampie's judgement.[/quote]
Yeah, I know. But it would be using the model and skin. Not really Kingdoms features per say.

I know, I respect Gampie for all this hard work and I'm sure whatever is in the final release will be amazing.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Northern Storm' post='1434584' date='Jul 10 2008, 01.49']I just have one question that why the army of House Stark are mostly infantries? I think in the books the majority of their army are knights and cavalries.[/quote]
Robb had 3000 cavalry before the opening battles , and Roose had 15000+ infantry (Freys included, I think). It's just that Robb's section of the army had most of the successes and did most of the damage. Their army should be mostly infantry, but what cavalry they have should be pretty good.

Archived