FOOTBALL!

Mathis

So Porto are out of the CL, fair enough. Makes it even worse that Milan got in the year they won it last. I really hate Milan.

Speaking of Milan there is a chance thay may get into next year's CL according to [url="http://www.goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?contenutoid=722703"]goal.com[/url]

'[b]CSKA have been denied a license to play in the Bulgarian league, and the Bulgarian FA (BFU) has now demanded that they be expelled from Europe too.

The normal procedure is that the BFU send the runner-up Levski Sofia to the CL instead, however it is reported that instead of this, the highest UEFA ranked team not already in the competition will be the replacement, and this is Milan.[/b]'

I really, really hate Milan.

Edit: [url="http://www.goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?contenutoid=723059"]Nevermind[/url]

Weird choice for Mark Hughes to go for the Man City job. I assumed he was waiting to go for the Man United job when/if Fergie retires and this will surely make it harder, even if he doesn't get sacked before Christmas.

[quote name='Herekleides' post='1383459' date='Jun 4 2008, 16.43']Weird choice for Mark Hughes to go for the Man City job. I assumed he was waiting to go for the Man United job when/if Fergie retires and this will surely make it harder, even if he doesn't get sacked before Christmas.[/quote]

Well, he's not going to make Blackburn any better than they already are, and the other option was going to Chelsea, so I can't really blame him.

[quote name='Homem de Gelo do Norte' post='1383721' date='Jun 4 2008, 14.09']But surely, already being in Manchester will make it so much easier for Hughes to take over after Fergie? :P[/quote]
Yeah. Who'd want to be sloppy seconds to SAF?

A couple weeks ago I asked my fellow forum members what they thought about the possibility of 18 yr old American Jozy Altidore going to Real Madrid. Well now the reality of it is that he has [url="http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jgJjnIu09QrRAB2sEpwAf1Qqrw4wD913DLHOB"]agreed to a deal in principle with Villareal.[/url] Apparently the transfer fee was 8 million.

Now Altidore had said that he didn't want to start out with a club that was too big right away. Most of you guys agreed. So is Villareal, who will be in the CL, a reasonable step down from Real? And will he have a chance to prosper there as a a member of the "Yellow Submarine", or will he be better off playing on loan for a year or two. Appreciate the insight.

Sounds like a very good choice. Small but quality team. :) A chance to compete in the CL but wouldn't put him under the microscope as the "latest big thing" that a club like Barcelona or Real would manage to do.

[quote name='Podezine Podane' post='1384029' date='Jun 4 2008, 16.21']Sounds like a very good choice. Small but quality team. :) A chance to compete in the CL but wouldn't put him under the microscope as the "latest big thing" that a club like Barcelona or Real would manage to do.[/quote]
That's a bit of what I was thinking. It'll allow him the opportunity to see some of the best competition in the world without the scrutiny of the bigger clubs. I agree with what most of you said about Real being way too big to jump on with as a young, unproven, and American player. But it also isn't a club on the verge of relegation, so he'll remain in the top flight for the forseeable future. I am happy for the kid.

Now there's another 18 year old 2nd gen American player born in LA but raised partially in Mexico named Jorge Flores who's getting looks from Mexican clubs. The only concern with him is that while he's currently captain of the US under 20 team, he's also uncapped which means that Mexico can still steal him from them, if only so that the USMNT can't have him. 2nd generationers seem poised to provide the backbone of the US' future. Being a 2nd gen myself, I like this development.

What an absolutely pitiful first-half showing by Spain against the US.

/end ignorant American soccer commentary--please return to your regular programming

[quote name='Ender' post='1384114' date='Jun 4 2008, 23.38']What an absolutely pitiful first-half showing by Spain against the US.[/quote]
Well...lets pretend they didn't want to get injured before the Euro starts this weekend!

[quote]2nd generationers seem poised to provide the backbone of the US' future. Being a 2nd gen myself, I like this development.[/quote]That would make sense. Countries like Mexico have such a strong football culture that children with Mexican origins are bound to be more enveloped in the sport. Almost surprising there isn't more Latin-Americans in the US team.

Yes it was a soporific match. I almost slept over it... they were all playing at half speed. A waste of time. Can't wait until Saturday.

Alright. Today's going to be the day... C-R has set up a press conference at 1600 to unveil his future.

What shalll it be?

Couple of thoughts.

a) if he is going to remain in Man Utd, why a press conference? He could've just rubbished the rumours about the move the last few months, instead of playing with both sides and kindling the fires. That might suggest he would like out.
B) He can basically say 3 things: 1- I remain at Man Utd. 2- I want a new challenge. 3- I want to go to Madrid.
I'm sticking with explanation 2, that leaves his the whole summer to think it over and renegotiate a new contract.
c) Agent's POV: Jorge Mendes will land a 6 figure comission for an hypothetical transfer
d) The compromise solution: I shall remain another season in Manchester, and I'll be out the following one.

So, the drama goes on. I'm bored already.

No need for him to give a press conference if he was going to stay so he must be heading elsewhere despite the recently re-negotiated contract. Unless it's attention whore behaviour.

Anyway, according to The Guardian, 96% of all English fans watching EURO 2008 would be cheering for The Netherlands during the tournament, since the English side is absent. Remarkable little statistic in terms of how overwhelming the percentage is. A discerning group of fans though :)

BTW has anyone seen that the Portuegse have taken the tournament by storm? Certainly no other team has been so noticeable sofar. When the players' bus arrived it was accompanied by thousands of bikers. And some of the training sessions are sold for about 9 euro per ticket and are completely sold out. Any idea what makes them stand out so? Did so many Portuegese fans travel to Switzerland/Austria or is their some reason for tremendous local popularity?

To put the focus a bit away from Europe, last night [i]Fluminese [/i]advanced to the finals of the Copa Libertadores for the first time ever after beating [i]Boca Juniors [/i]3-1. Although this is [i]Fluminese[/i]'s first Copa Libertadores final, their opposition in the final is far more surprising - [i]Liga Deportiva Universitaria[/i], the university team of Quito that eliminated [i]CF Américo[/i] on Tuesday.

I think there's a very big population of Portuguse inmigrants and 2nd generation swiss folks in Switzerland, which explains why Portugal is creating such a big ruckus.

Something similar also happened in Spain in the 50-60's. Many people had to migrate in order to find jobs, and many landed in Germany etc. That's why you get some 2nd or 3rd generation people from spanish or portuguese stock playing in other countries: hence Mario Gomez playing for Germany, or Pires for France etc. And also Michael Portillo in the UK ;)

[quote name='Calibandar' post='1384793' date='Jun 5 2008, 09.18']No need for him to give a press conference if he was going to stay so he must be heading elsewhere despite the recently re-negotiated contract. [b]Unless it's attention whore behaviour.[/b][/quote]

From C-R? Unthinkable!!! :P

OTOH I don't see why CR [i]wouldn't[/i] hold a press conference if he was staying. It would, after all, be news, and the number of press who would want to be informed and want to ask questions dictates he would need to hold a press conference. Probably more likely that he'll announce he wants to leave: which, IMHO, would be a mistake (in footballing terms anyway) but people have a right to make mistakes. Especially very lucrative ones. ;)

p.s. Loras, I think you're severely underestimating the amount that the agent will get: seven figures seems more likely (in Euros at least).

[quote]Anyway, according to The Guardian, 96% of all English fans watching EURO 2008 would be cheering for The Netherlands during the tournament, since the English side is absent.[/quote]

Good news for the Greeks! :thumbsup:

Seriously, I think it's because the English fans were looking for a team similar to their own: i.e., one that will get kicked out in the quarter finals after a dismal performance and bitch about it for months. ;)

[quote name='Morba the Greek' post='1384806' date='Jun 5 2008, 10.32']p.s. Loras, I think you're severely underestimating the amount that the agent will get: seven figures seems more likely (in Euros at least).[/quote]

Oops, you're right. :blush:

I should've said 6-zeroes instead.

What Loras said, there is a huge population of Portuguese speakers in french speaking switzerland. Also italians and spaniards but a lot of portuguese. Plus you got the fact that usually emmigrants, first or second generations are usually crazy for the selecção. It was said before the draw that the result the federation really wanted was to stay in switzerland ;) there are other factors as well, it is partially a CR effect but playing in places like Kazakhstan it´s like the arrival of a major movie star or something. I am not that confortable with it, it is looking maybe too much like brazil in 2006 (we know what happened), not sure it is not distracting.

about the press conference, I think as the situation has been, even if it is the blandest "I am staying" would justify it. Plus interestingly he can not ( hope not, it would be the worst manners ever, and legally impossible) to leave unilaterally. If it was renewal Manchester United would likely announce it themselves first. Maybe it´s compromise or a dud. BTW Jorge Mendes´s income, whether or not this goes ahead, is quite probably higher than the GNP of some FIFA members, he is also Mourinho´s agent and the agent of a whole lot of people. But Mendes´ modus operandi is interesting (in a good way).

speaking of agents I found out that João Moutinho´s new agent is Pini Zahavi. João Moutinho now wears number 10 for Portugal, central midfield, plays a bit behind Deco. Not a real playmaker, but maybe a lot like some of the spanish midfield players. Short also :P but tough. Pini Zahavi OTOH uh-oh. Definite ties to a lot of people in portuguese football, to Chelsea, and allegedly to the "caucasian mafia" ( as a brazillian magazine called it. caucasian meaning "from the caucasus"), meaning the russian-armenian-iranian-israeli business people connected to each other and of which maybe the most famous example is the whole mess with Corinthians and the transfer of Tevez and Mascherano.

Regarding the kid to Villareal, 8 million what? if euros is a lot, and surprising for Villareal ( who spend very wisely. a compliment surely). 8 million dollars is more reasonable, it will be 5 million euros? but still a lot of money IMO, the kid must be seeming promissing - prices are definetely going up ;) If Altidore is 18, IMO the real important thing is for him to play. At Villareal, 18 years old and straight from the USA he would have to compete with guys like Nihat and Rossi (Assuming neither is sold). I dunno how much playing time he would be likely to get. BTW Rossi is sort of american, but plays for italy and was trained in Italy, he is very good IMO.

[quote name='Morba the Greek' post='1384806' date='Jun 5 2008, 09.32']Seriously, I think it's because the English fans were looking for a team similar to their own: i.e., one that will get kicked out in the quarter finals after a dismal performance and bitch about it for months.[/quote]
Ouch. :lol:

It is interesting though. Obviously history plays a part in England's dismissal of France and Germany. While Portugal would suffer because of their ties with England in recent tournaments. And England presumably wouldn't get too enthused with the Latin culture of teams like Italy and Spain (i.e. the "diving" claims for example). You'd have thought Poland would get a bigger vote, considering immigration though. :P

[quote]BTW has anyone seen that the Portuegse have taken the tournament by storm?[/quote]
Its not also because Ronaldo is probably the most famous player in the world right now?

Archived