Models

Mezeh

GRRM recently mentioned in his “not a blog” that the Rock of Gibraltar is his model for Casterly Rock that is most interesting since we have to see Castlery Rock in the book yet.
Before that he mentioned that his Wall was inspired by Hadrian’s wall in Britain.
The city of Braavos most probably inspired by Venice.

Do somebody have any idea of information what other models from real world were used in the world of Westeros?

[quote name='Mezeh' post='1391658' date='Jun 10 2008, 09.01']GRRM recently mentioned in his “not a blog” that the Rock of Gibraltar is his model for Casterly Rock that is most interesting since we have to see Castlery Rock in the book yet.
Before that he mentioned that his Wall was inspired by Adrian’s wall in Britain.
The city of Braavos most probably inspired by Venice.

Do somebody have any idea of information what other models from real world were used in the world of Westeros?[/quote]

Hadrian's Wall. There's a castle in Germany that is the model for the Eyrie I believe.

[quote name='grinachu' post='1391668' date='Jun 10 2008, 03.16']Hadrian's Wall. There's a castle in Germany that is the model for the Eyrie I believe.[/quote]

Hadrian’s - corrected, thanks. Any idea about castle’s name and whereabouts?

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuschwanstein"]Neuschwanstein[/url].

The Tower of Glimmering, ruled by Hotho Harlaw, is almost certainly inspired by [url="http://www.georgerrmartin.com/knights/knights-keeps.html"]the Tower of Glim[/url].

The Hightower is inspired by [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lighthouse_of_Alexandria"]Pharos[/url], the great lighthouse of Alexandria.

The triple walls of Qarth are probably inspired by the triple walls of Constantinople.

The pyramids on Slaver's Bay seem to be inspired by ziggurats.

Some region we haven't yet seen is inspired by Rotorura in New Zealand -- I'm guessing ruined Valyria, or perhaps something around Asshai.

• 1 year later...

While I have no written evidence to this effect, I would think that the entire world of ASoIaF is greatly inspired by the English Wars of The Roses. Cierce is a great deal like Margeret of Anjou, and Robert is a little like Henry VI, but without the insanity part. Even Robb is like a young Edward. I would think that Ned is like some of the Neville family, and that the starks represent the Yorkists, and the Lannisters the Lancastrians. But that's just what I've come to believe.

Cheers!

The Rhoyne River is likely inspired by either the Rhine (in size/significance) in Germany or the Rhone in France (location/culture).

Ibben appears to be an amalgamation of Iceland and Scandanavia (it's apparently about the size of Iceland, but is located roughly where Finland would be if Westeros was Britain).

Sothoryos is very reminiscent of Africa.

I get a Black Forest (in Germany) vibe from the Forest of Qohor, but that might just be me ;)

The Rhoyne River is likely inspired by either the Rhine (in size/significance) in Germany or the Rhone in France (location/culture).

Ibben appears to be an amalgamation of Iceland and Scandanavia (it's apparently about the size of Iceland, but is located roughly where Finland would be if Westeros was Britain).

Sothoryos is very reminiscent of Africa.

I get a Black Forest (in Germany) vibe from the Forest of Qohor, but that might just be me ;)

That is just you. AFAIK, the Black Forest in Germany doesn't have monkeys and golden trees.

The Rhoyne River is obviously the Nile. A great river that's the cradle of an old civilization based around it. The Rhoynar even call the river "Mother Rhoyne". (I don't know where you got Rhine from, other than similar names)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I always thought that Rome might have served as some sort of inspiration for King's Landing. Rome was built on hills (7), so was KL (3), not to mention that I think the Valyrian culture might have had some Roman inspiration. And then there is all the decadence that builds up as the city grows, just like Rome.

The area and people of the Dornish Marches was probably influenced by the Welsh marches. The Dornish marches offer the best wood for longbows, just like in Wales.

So the Valyrians would be the Trojans (following Virgil's Aeneid)?

Could be, but King's Landing is a little new, only founded 300 years ago. Rome was 700 years old in Caesar's time.

Altogether I think KL is too medieval in style to be modelled on classical Rome.

:closedeyes: Well it's quite clear that the Dothraki were modelled on the Mongols (with possibly a little Native american influence, possibly Comanche), in that they're a nomadic peoples who live primarily on a large grass plain, depend greatly on horses and conquer other peoples as a way of living. Also, the Iron Islanders are obviously closely linked to the Vikings, in that they have a strong connection with the sea, and they come across sea in longboats to conquer, rape, pillage and generally cause mayhem.

As for other links, maybe Beric Dondarrion and Robin Hood? I know it's unlikely, but look at his outlaw band, Thoros, the priest with a liking for the drink (Friar Tuck), Lem the big, strong, simple minded type (Little John)...then again I guess these are stereotypes that you'll find in any self respecting outlaw band so maybe I'm reading too much into it :D

The Unsullied also seem like a cross between the Spartans and the Persian Immortals maybe?

Ned and Robb Stark and Edward III and the Black Prince?

I know these links are pretty obvious but I just felt they were worth mention :D

The Unsullied also seem like a cross between the Spartans and the Persian Immortals maybe?

I see them as more a mix of Mamluks (slave-soldiers) and the Black Eunuchs of the Ottoman Harem (palace guards, who were created through an incredibly horrific castration process).

The Hightower in Oldtown sounds like the Lighthouse of Alexandria to me. You could even stretch it and say there's a sort of parallel between Citadel and the Library of Alexandria (two cities with both physical beacons and beacons of knowledge).

• 2 weeks later...

I got a kind of Berghof-feeling from the Eyrie, what with the big panorama window /"Moon Gate" and being a "Summer residence" for the Lord/Führer...

Kings Landing, I think of more of as yet another Ankh~Morpork/Lankhmar/generic pseudo-medieval city-in-a-fantasy-setting, than as based off a real-world model.

The lands beyond the Wall are quite obviously based on Canada.

Archived