Models

Mezeh

I got a kind of Berghof-feeling from the Eyrie, what with the big panorama window /"Moon Gate" and being a "Summer residence" for the Lord/Führer...

Kings Landing, I think of more of as yet another Ankh~Morpork/Lankhmar/generic pseudo-medieval city-in-a-fantasy-setting, than as based off a real-world model.

The lands beyond the Wall are quite obviously based on Canada.

I think of King's Landing as being medieval Paris/London.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that it is more likely that the lands beyond The Wall are based on (an extreme version of) Scotland.

The Wall is clearly an extreme version of Hadrian's Wall, which was once the England-Scotland border, and I noticed that Osha (a wilding from beyond the Wall) often says "Aye", which is a common Scots term.

Alright so I just came by an allusion in the books. Mad King Aerys is most definitely King George III. King George is known for being called "the mad king" and is known for losing the colonies.

Aerys lost the kingdom for the Targaryens and threw the whole realm into Civil War. I know other people must have come by this, but when I'm reading I'm more interested in absorbing information rather then deciphering it.

:rofl: :bowdown: :rofl: I've read this post sometime ago, but I still laugh everytime I see it.

If we go by your statement, it would mean the wildlings populate the 10 canadian provinces, and then the Others are in the 3 canadian territories. I'll buy that! :stunned:

• 1 year later...

Some region we haven't yet seen is inspired by Rotorura in New Zealand -- I'm guessing ruined Valyria, or perhaps something around Asshai.

I feel like this might have been the inspiration for God's Eyes Lake by Harrenhal because of the island in the middle. Just a thought!

:rofl: :bowdown: :rofl: I've read this post sometime ago, but I still laugh everytime I see it.

If we go by your statement, it would mean the wildlings populate the 10 canadian provinces, and then the Others are in the 3 canadian territories. I'll buy that! :stunned:

9 provinces and 3 territories

• 3 weeks later...

The Three Hills of King's Landing seem very similar to the Seven Hills of Lisbon. The great Blackwater Rush seems to be a second river Tagus.

Yep, Lisbon is definitely one of the cities of our world that SHOULD be compared to Kings Landing. The three proeminent hills by the river could easily be Aegon's, Rhaenys' and Vysenia's, it's actually pretty cool now that i think of it. There's the Castle on one hill, on the opposite hill there's a ruined church that could be seen as the Sept of Baelor, however there's no dragon pit on the other hill (it's a shame i know). You even got Flea Bottom in the middle :eek: Thanks for opening my mind to this :bowdown:. I'll see my city as a Westerosi location from now on.

• 5 months later...

If we're talking about historic figures:

Sansa - Elizabeth I

Cersei - Elizabeth Woodville

Bran and Rickon - The Princes in the Tower

Melisandre - Rasputin

Robert - Henry VIII

Lysa - Joana the mad

Littlefinger - Thomas Seymour

Tywin - Rodrigo Borgia

Daenerys - Alexander the Great

• 1 month later...

All things considered London certainly is the place, but i think that Lisbon's topography resembles Kings Landing a little better than London's

GRRM always says that he doesn't do 1 to 1 matches between our world and his, so it's most likely true that both cities are actually inspirations for KL.

Stirling Castle and Moat Cailin as they are both 'the key to the north'. I always thought that the North resembled Scotland and Dorne as Wales (despite the landscape) as they were both independent countries before conquered and have the strongest identities of the 7K and are most likely to rebel and crown their own king.

If we're talking about historic figures:

Daenerys - Alexander the Great

On a personal level I think Daenerys couldn't be more different from Alexander. He was described as arrogant and was known to be rash and have a quick temper.

Archived