EURO 2008

Hereward

Yes, it looks like Romania were exposed tonight. If they can't even beat Holland's 2nd team, there is no way they deserve to qualify. I've been unimpressed by them from their earlier games. Horribly defensive against France and not much better against Italy. The sad thing is that neither team are that great (too many old players), so Romania could have done well if they had played a high tempo game against them. But no, they played conservatively and were suitably punished tonight.

Looking at the draw now, we are left with no super defensively minded teams (like Romania or Greece), which is great. :) You could argue about Sweden but I think that was more because Ibramhimovic got injured. Even Italy have been quite attacking in this tournament.

I do think Italy were a bit unlucky up to this game. That Dutch opening goal against Italy will always be controversial and they did have a goal disallowed against Romania. So they probably deserved to qualify just about. At the same time, France had no luck this time. The deflected 2nd goal sums up their campaign. Pirlo will be a big loss in the next game. I think Gattuso is no loss though. They have plenty replacements for him.

That's it for Thuram, Makelele and Vieira. also And maybe one or 2 others. They have plenty players to replace those with though.

Spain really should be able to beat Italy. Italy have glaring weaknesses all over the pitch, even in their lauded defence, although its not as bad as it was against the Dutch. Spain have a vastly more superior midfield. But at the same time, they have to produce the goods. Should be a great game. :)

Archived