Mafia 54: Return of the Cannibal

Shadowbaby

[quote name='House Egen' post='1424116' date='Jul 2 2008, 02.33']Right now it's hard to find some players to trust since most are suspicious. I still have Myatt, Costayne and Overton on my trust-list for now.[/quote]Interesting approach. Do you think it's good tactics to look for trustable people instead of suspiciopus ones?
[quote name='House Overton']Oh yeh I forgot I'll remove vote because Grandsion did explain that probability thing which is helpful.[/quote]And being helpful definitely [i]is[/i] suspicious.

[quote name='House Overton' post='1424123' date='Jul 2 2008, 09.40']'or some evil guys tried to kill me' - what does this mean? It makes it sound like you are the BP but you can't be because why would you reveal this? So...I'm confused. Maybe you're evil. You know if you are, it would help us out a lot if you would just tell us. Saves all this tedious business with 'cases' and 'evidence'[/quote]

I already said that I am not the BP. I will be sort of BP though because the healer is going to protect me.

[quote name='House Overton' post='1424123' date='Jul 2 2008, 09.40']Incidentally, are your minimalist posts due to lack of time, personal style or just giving the game a level of participation appropriate to the level of seriousness? Or is there some other explanation...? :) Ok I take this back due to your above post :)[/quote]

Lack of time and not much to comment here.

Oh, Overton, and what about Grandison's 'probability thing' will help us in the future? :unsure:

[quote name='House Templeton' post='1424152' date='Jul 2 2008, 10.16']Interesting approach. Do you think it's good tactics to look for trustable people instead of suspiciopus ones?[/quote]
If you want to get the car, it certainly helps to know where it is not.

My re-read was, as I suspected, pretty fruitless.

I'd say Myatt and Grandison are suspicious of post-padding, as is Brax.

Quite a few players only make very inane comments, but I think it's too early for that to be suspicious.

I like Egen's post nº 98, but not his post nº 78.

I'm liking Overton and Costayne more on a re-read, despite the ugly avatars. I liked Overton's post 54 accusing Jordayne of defending Grandison. Grandison's 'probability thing' must refer to his explanation of the goat problem (which I certainly appreciate on a personal level, but indeed bears no weight on his game allegiance).

I'm going to vote for [b]Jordayne[/b] for the time being.

[quote name='House Egen' post='1424157' date='Jul 2 2008, 10.22']I already said that I am not the BP. I will be sort of BP though because the healer is going to protect me.[/quote]

Ok. I just got confused is all. And anyway I wasn't sure how serious you were being. Maybe the healer might have a mind of its own?

[quote name='House Egen' post='1424157' date='Jul 2 2008, 10.22']Oh, Overton, and what about Grandison's 'probability thing' will help us in the future? :unsure:[/quote]

Nothing, like Tyrell, I appreciate it merely on a personal level, and I actually removed my vote just because at this stage I don't find Grandison, or indeed anyone, very suspicious.

Although, thinking about it, a profiency with statistics may actually have its value in the game, provided he is not a bad guy, in which case it would only value his cronies and that would not be a good thing.

OK, wassup?

[b]Myatt[/b] gets my vote.

His first post, on setting. As Brax said, he's trying to please everyone:
[quote name='House Myatt' post='1423409' date='Jul 1 2008, 12.11']How about a combination. We are the vampiric ninja pirates from Heaven, and love to watch Sailor Moon.[/quote]
This on it's own doesn't say a lot but let's look at his other posts...

[quote name='House Myatt' post='1423426' date='Jul 1 2008, 12.22']My intuition tells me that Targaryen is guilty. With their vote counts every so often. What is the deal with that?

Oh wait, the mod can not be mafia, right??[/quote]
Is he so nervous with his joking around he doesn't even want to tease somebody who will vote for him?

He clearly watches the exchange between Whitehill and Tyrell:
Whitehill: The enter key is your friend [u]Tyrell[/u].
Tyrell: At least I have friends [u]Whitehill[/u].

[quote name='House Myatt' post='1423459' date='Jul 1 2008, 12.35']When will the sanity die! [b]Whitehill[/b], wait no [b]unvote[/b]. So Tyrell, tell me a little about yourself.

Do you like to eat gargoyles? You know, the stone kind.[/quote]
This is his first actual vote, in which he seems to want to join in the 'play'. Except he unvotes on the spot. He seems unsure which side to take. Harte's already asked for an explanation of the gargoyle comment. Take my vote as an extra incentive to answer.

OK, next thing Grandison puts a third vote on Overton. Myatt wrings his hands:

[quote name='House Myatt' post='1423496' date='Jul 1 2008, 13.02'][b]Grandison[/b] three votes this early in the game?[/quote]
This alone makes me happy to have a vote on Myatt. It seems the kind of thing a bad guy might say to sound compassionate, but actually it's working against the innocents. Setting up an atmosphere where people are hesitant to lynch is what the bad guys want, and it allows Myatt to cast a shadow of suspicion on Grandison, that someone else might pick up and run with. Yeah, I don't like that post at all, Myatt.

Myatt seems to be getting bolder here, joining in the nitpicking of other players: this is Myatt nitpicking Brax:
[quote name='House Myatt' post='1423831' date='Jul 1 2008, 17.19']Let me get this straight, you know you are not know Whitehill? This must mean you are mafia or SK, its the only possible way of knowing you are not on the same team. :P[/quote]
Notice he adds a tongue smiley... so he is careful to make sure nobody takes him too seriously. He then adds:
[quote name='House Myatt' post='1423836' date='Jul 1 2008, 17.31'][quote name='House Brax' post='1423833' date='Jul 1 2008, 17.23']
Or he is? That is the part I don't know. I have no idea who the [u]other member[/u] of my team (the innocents) are. :smoking:[/quote]

That could be a simple typo, what do you think?

Edit because I have to leave.

Brax I am just pulling your leg :D
[/quote]
Look how once again he is placating Brax, but he is also pointing out something that maybe other people would run with.

In summary, Myatt is extremely nervous and cautious, and tries to subtly undermine people while giving the impression he is completely unthreatening and kind. String him up, guys!

Interesting. Its not a completely meritworthy banana, but I do have Myatt as among the more suspicious people so far. I think your analysis of Myatt's character and posting style is correct - it's as if he wants to look for things to say so he's not eliminated for being a low poster, while at the same time he clearly is not really wanting to push the discussion on, so hence the smileys. Which adds up to something resembling a case.

But I am not convinced. Maybe Myatt is a relatively new player, unwilling to commit himself. or maybe his cautious style is just that - his style. We don't really have enough to go on I guess but thanks for getting the ball rolling Fell.

So I'm not going to vote for Myatt. I'd like to hear more from Whitehill and Harte. Currently I have them about the same suspicion-level as Myatt.

Edit: can't spell or write sentences

[quote name='House Overton' post='1424203' date='Jul 2 2008, 02.24']So I'm not going to vote for Myatt. I'd like to hear more from Whitehill and Harte. Currently I have them about the same suspicion-level as Myatt.[/quote]

I have Whitehill up there on my list too.

Overton - can you do a banana on Whitehill or Harte?

[quote name='House Fell' post='1424211' date='Jul 2 2008, 11.40']I have Whitehill up there on my list too.

Overton - can you do a banana on Whitehill or Harte?[/quote]

I'll see what I can do. Give me a minute.

[quote name='House Overton' post='1424203' date='Jul 2 2008, 11.24']Interesting. Its not a completely meritworthy banana, but I do have Myatt as among the more suspicious people so far. I think your analysis of Myatt's character and posting style is correct - it's as if he wants to look for things to say so he's not eliminated for being a low poster, while at the same time he clearly is not really wanting to push the discussion on, so hence the smileys. Which adds up to something resembling a case.

But I am not convinced. Maybe Myatt is a relatively new player, unwilling to commit himself. or maybe his cautious style is just that - his style. We don't really have enough to go on I guess but thanks for getting the ball rolling Fell.

So I'm not going to vote for Myatt. I'd like to hear more from Whitehill and Harte. Currently I have them about the same suspicion-level as Myatt.

Edit: can't spell or write sentences[/quote]

If I read your post correctly, you are most suspicious of Myatt, Whitehill and Harte. Fell has just presented a case against Myatt that you don't completely reject. Still, you don't vote for Myatt, because you are not sure if his behaviour is based on evil reasoning or n00biness.

You just dropped from my 'people I might trust' list.

[quote name='House Fell' post='1424193' date='Jul 2 2008, 11.08']In summary, Myatt is extremely nervous and cautious, and tries to subtly undermine people while giving the impression he is completely unthreatening and kind. String him up, guys![/quote]

Not sure if I agree with your conclusion, Fell. My impression has been that Myatt at least tried to throw some accusations around, while others have been trying to avoid attacks on other players.

I will keep your points against Myatt in mind, but he is not my favourite lynch for today.

Sorry about the delay: some internet trouble.

Ok first Whitehill. It is interesting that with him, Egen Fell and myself seem to have found him slightly suspicious, at least relative to everyone else, despite him only making 4 posts none of which have much merit. Let's look at them in more detail.

Whitehill post #1 (thread post #19):

[quote](QUOTE (House Tyrell @ Jul 1 2008, 22.21)
[lots of talking])

The enter key is your friend Tyrell.[/quote]

Ok ok I hear you say, post number 19 in the thread, how can that be of any significance? Well that's a good point, but this still strikes me as odd. Tyrell, by posting one continuous paragraph has shown that the enter key is not his friend. Maybe Whitehill is suggesting that Tyrell should become friends with the enter key, but this is hardly expressed very clearly. That said, this is clearly a joke post, so we won't infer too much from it.

Whitehill post #2 (thread no. 40):

[quote](QUOTE = House Costayne @ Jul 1 2008, 16.28)
But I don't see any real reason to leave my vote where it is. Let's see what's behind door #2. Jordayne. END QUOTE

Since you're so good at imagining conversations.

[you fill this part in]

Costayne[/quote]

Now Costayne has sensibly moved his vote away from me to Jordayne (not that I actually find Jordayne too suspicious yet, just a bit odd) but it is Whitehill who retaliates. Again, we're in joke stage here, so that might not mean much, but to me this post comes across as unnecessary and a little snarky and it's niggling at me somehow. Costayne responds to this post in good humour, but also gives the impression of wondering why exactly he had been voted for, without even a joke explanation.

So, Whitehill post #3 (thread post no. 85)

[quote]QUOTE (House Brax @ Jul 1 2008, 18.58)
Since I an not on a team with Whitehill, I cannot answer for him. END QUOTE

Of course you can't answer for me, I hired Costayne to write all my posts, not you.[/quote]

I can't really read anything into this. Clearly just a joke, referring to the exchange noted above I guess, but nothing I can find suspicious about this post.

Finally, Whitehill post #4 (thread post 86):

[quote]QUOTE (House Overton @ Jul 1 2008, 17.01)
Yeh I thought about it - he makes seven statements yet says nothing. Impressive, but a bit...pointless. And that would be a skill that serves you well as a mafiaperson, Grandison END QUOTE

Overton, is this vote serious or a joke?[/quote]

Not an unreasonable question, but this seems to be the sum total of Whitehill's actual contribution (it was a joke, in case you missed my answer :)). And Whitehill still hasn't followed this up with any other questions or comments.

So, in conclusion, Whitehill seems only to post when he finds somthing easy to respond to. All his posts start by quoting someone else, and are usually one liners. This in itself doesn't make Whitehill a baddie, but it means we have to watch him I think.

Phew, I managed to get through the whole post without using the word 'whitey' to refer to Whitehill...oh crap.

Also, where are Reyne and Strong? We need everyone to be here.

[quote name='House Templeton' post='1424152' date='Jul 2 2008, 04.16']Interesting approach. Do you think it's good tactics to look for trustable people instead of suspiciopus ones?[/quote]

Don't you find that either way, the results are generally the same?

I'm back and catching up...doesn't look like too much happened overnight.

[quote name='House Egen' post='1424245' date='Jul 2 2008, 12.54']If I read your post correctly, you are most suspicious of Myatt, Whitehill and Harte. Fell has just presented a case against Myatt that you don't completely reject. Still, you don't vote for Myatt, because you are not sure if his behaviour is based on evil reasoning or n00biness.

You just dropped from my 'people I might trust' list.[/quote]

I think that's a fair summary, except it's not just that Myatt may be new, I don't find Myatt's posts, although they are vaguely suspicious, to be outside the normal range of styles to be expected within the innocent group. I considered that Myatt had enough to respond to in Fell's post - a vote from me would not help matters.

[quote name='House Egen' post='1424247' date='Jul 2 2008, 12.59']Not sure if I agree with your conclusion, Fell. My impression has been that Myatt at least tried to throw some accusations around, while others have been trying to avoid attacks on other players.

I will keep your points against Myatt in mind, but he is not my favourite lynch for today.[/quote]

Nor mine, but I want to consider or make the cases for each of the people I currently find suspicious before deciding on my vote.

It is day 1.

15 players remain: Brax, Costayne, Egen, Fell, Grandison, Harte, Jordayne, Myatt, Overton, Reyne, Strong, Tarth, Templeton, Tyrell, Whitehill.

8 votes are needed for a conviction or to go to night.

3 votes for Overton (Grandison, Jordayne, Reyne)
2 votes for Costayne (Whitehill, Costayne)
1 vote for Grandison (Myatt)
1 vote for Jordayne (Tyrell)
1 vote for Myatt (Fell)
1 vote for Tarth (Egen)

6 players have not voted: Brax, Harte, Overton, Strong, Tarth, Templeton.

You have approx 10hrs and 45 mins till end of day.

Edit - I wish players would not vote while I am doing a count

[quote name='House Brax' post='1424252' date='Jul 2 2008, 06.24']Don't you find that either way, the results are generally the same?[/quote]No.
If you look for trustable people, the result is little pool of trustable and large pool of not-so-trustable. If you look for suspicious ones, the result is little pool of suspicious and large pool of not-so-suspicious. The former is evidently more useful.

I think the case on [b]Myatt[/b] is very decent for day 1. I'll stay with it unless we'll find something better.

Let's look at Harte now, an interesting character:

[quote name='House Harte' post='1423736' date='Jul 2 2008, 00.32']:ack:
:lol:
I'm totally jealous. :P
Ok, here briefly. Sorry about the lack of day1 joking about on my part, but I don't have the best sense of humor in these sorts of situations... :uhoh: (And I'm leaving shortly.)[/quote]

This is only page two, and there are people who haven't yet signed in, so there's no real call for Harte to be sorry but he apologises anyway. To me this is as if Harte is trying to give the impression of being a nice person who nobody could possibly want to lynch - a good impression to give for anyone, but the mafia would be more keen on portraying it, since they can't expect it to come out naturally.

[quote name='House Harte' post='1423780' date='Jul 2 2008, 01.26']Sorry to get serious here so soon but:

Is this some reference to GRRM or something else that I'm totally missing, or is it a random and rather weird question or what?

Huh. :unsure: Grandison has two votes, by last count, so I'm not ready to put a vote down, but I'd like to. I'm probably the only one bothered by this statement, too. :dunce:

Well, I agree with Costayne seeming less sincere than Overton, not that that's saying much this early. But honestly, I find Overton too amusing to get rid of yet. I want this game to stay fun and pleasant as long as possible.[/quote]

Well clearly Harte has excellent judge of character, at least as regards me (:)), and I have no real problem with this post, except that it would be an easy one for a FM to make. And I am also curious about the stone gargoyle comment. Is it a code...?

[quote name='House Harte' post='1423982' date='Jul 2 2008, 05.35']:( You're mean.

Aha!
Y'know, one of the more memorable mafia games I recall, Brax was evil. I don't trust that purple prancing pony! :pirate:

I'll be here and there for the next 2 or 3 hours. Can't see as anything exciting is going to happen in that time. I'll be back before the day ends, of course.[/quote]

I don't know. But if I were a mafia, I would want to make a few innocuous posts so hopefully I am not the lowest poster and going to be lynched for that, I would not want to create a big fuss so the cannibal gets me, and I would want to return before the end of the day to join someone else's lynch train. After considering everyone I find suspicious, I think [b]Harte[/b] definitely smells the worst.

[quote name='House Reyne' post='1424255' date='Jul 2 2008, 13.25']Reyne has decided to check in. Reyne must leave now. Reyne apologizes.

Reyne dislikes [b]Overton[/b].[/quote]

Ok I've now become very suspicious of Reyne too :)

[size=5]Targ would like to know if there is anybody watching the game that can act as a replacement[/size].

Targ would really like to stress that your Mods and the other players would be very greatfull if Someone would volenteer.

Please PM Targ.

(Unfortuanly we can not let players control 2 alts - however tempting it may be)

Archived