Mafia 54: Return of the Cannibal

Shadowbaby

So after my read I am finding Overton a little to the fishy side.

[quote name='House Overton' post='1423632' date='Jul 1 2008, 16.18']A few hours into the game, and already 3 votes on me. Maybe you guys are good at sniffing out the baddy...or maybe not. Mwa ha ha ha! Anyway, to put the record straight, i'm not a mafioso or a cannibal, mmmkay?

Can someone (apart from myself) do something suspicious please? It's just messing around at the mo.[/quote]
I had earlier said something about the three votes but thought nothing serious. It seems to me like he feels he is in danger. This is not an automatic sign of being evil, but why worry about it so early in the game? If you are meat your early demise would not harm us (the good guys) much.

[quote name='House Overton' post='1424203' date='Jul 2 2008, 04.24']Interesting. Its not a completely meritworthy banana, but I do have Myatt as among the more suspicious people so far. I think your analysis of Myatt's character and posting style is correct - it's as if he wants to look for things to say so he's not eliminated for being a low poster, while at the same time he clearly is not really wanting to push the discussion on, so hence the smileys. Which adds up to something resembling a case.

But I am not convinced. Maybe Myatt is a relatively new player, unwilling to commit himself. or maybe his cautious style is just that - his style. We don't really have enough to go on I guess but thanks for getting the ball rolling Fell.

So I'm not going to vote for Myatt. I'd like to hear more from Whitehill and Harte. Currently I have them about the same suspicion-level as Myatt.

Edit: can't spell or write sentences[/quote]
This depends on how many games equals noob. A few or less, then yes I am new.

[quote name='House Overton' post='1424250' date='Jul 2 2008, 06.21']Sorry about the delay: some internet trouble.

Ok first Whitehill. It is interesting that with him, Egen Fell and myself seem to have found him slightly suspicious, at least relative to everyone else, despite him only making 4 posts none of which have much merit. Let's look at them in more detail.[/quote]
He goes into detail about his posts, but in reality at this point of the game Overton had no posts with merit IMO, anyway. I did not follow his case against Whitehill either.

[quote name='House Overton' post='1424676' date='Jul 2 2008, 11.03']Whitehill, did my response to your points make sense? And is your vote still on me? :([/quote]

He still seems worried about having a vote on him. This seems odd for me. Now I see as I was rereading and writing this he had some votes placed on him. I was going to vote for him and I will. [b]Overton[/b]

[quote name='House Reyne' post='1424807' date='Jul 2 2008, 12.12'][s]Are you in love with Fell's case? :P[/s]

Sorry. Do you think it was really that good a case?[/quote]It was decent day 1 case. Not very strong, but we still haven't anything better.

[quote name='House Whitehill' post='1424806' date='Jul 2 2008, 13.11']Looking over your Harte case. Can't agree with any of the points you made against him. Which is strange, because I do think there was a valid point to make against Harte.[/quote]
If you can tell me what point you think there is to make against me, I would love the opportunity to respond to it.

[quote name='House Whitehill' post='1424806' date='Jul 2 2008, 13.11']Somebody having 2 votes is [i]not[/i] a good reason to withhold your vote, if you find the person to be suspicious. Harte is being way too careful with his vote here.[/quote]
You know what, you're completely correct about this. I was being much to overly cautious there. My primary concern at the time was that it was much too early to put any sort of supportable vote on anyone, and Grandison had not yet said enough for my to feel confident about voting for him. I'll admit that I'm very cautious about putting votes down, yes. I believe I've always been this way, as throwing votes around has never set well with me.

[quote name='House Whitehill' post='1424816' date='Jul 2 2008, 12.16']How do you feel about a possible Grandison - Tyrell connection? Do you believe Grandison's explanation? Do you think it contradicts his actual post, where he refers to Tyrell as both a male and a female, rather than just a female?[/quote]
I think gender slips are way over-rated. I find Tyrell vaguely suspicious, and don't suspect Grandi yet.

Since Tyrell has suspected Grandi (quoted by Harte on this same page), I don't find this partnership very probable.

Mods, is Overton still alive? :P

Various notes...

Ok, read through the rest of the game and I feel pretty secure in my Overton vote now. Mainly I don't like his mini-cases. They're real stretches, especially the one on Harte after only 3 posts. If you're going to call someone out for fitting the CB profile, just say that. Quoting a bunch of lighthearted posts just isn't convincing and it's too, "Look, ma, I'm [i]contributing[/i]". I don't like how he started making mini-cases after being called out for a wishy-washy agreement with Fell's case.

I don't suspect Reyne, and I also think Templeton made a legitimate point when he pointed out Brax's voting pattern. I find it hard to suspect Templeton here despite his occasionally clumsy wording.

I like Whitehall.

[quote name='House Whitehill' post='1424816' date='Jul 2 2008, 18.16']How do you feel about a possible Grandison - Tyrell connection? Do you believe Grandison's explanation? Do you think it contradicts his actual post, where he refers to Tyrell as both a male and a female, rather than just a female?[/quote]

Can I say now that I don't think it means anything, yet still reserve the right to suspect Grandison and/or Tyrell later in the game? I don't buy it as a gender slip. (ETA: I like your other points but I'd try not to get too hung up on the Grandison-Tyrell thing.)

[quote name='House Whitehill' post='1424816' date='Jul 2 2008, 13.16']How do you feel about a possible Grandison - Tyrell connection? Do you believe Grandison's explanation? Do you think it contradicts his actual post, where he refers to Tyrell as both a male and a female, rather than just a female?[/quote]
Huh. I had actually thought that Grandison was referring to she-Tyrell at first, and then referring to someone else with the 'he'. I need to go back and reread it.

Either way though, I dislike cases built around pronoun usage. I've seen people throw pronouns around in just about every game, and I can't recall it ever being significant or necessary to a case on a suspicious player.

[quote name='House Templeton' post='1424837' date='Jul 2 2008, 13.25']Post #141, for example.[/quote]
[quote name='House Brax' post='1424364' date='Jul 2 2008, 09.09']This is correct. So two of my four voted for Myatt before making my suspect list. But then, they are voting an easy target based on a weak case.

And Reyne, I have no idea what he is thinking pointing it out. Maybe it was an attempt at being helpful :P[/quote]

Again, I do not say this is the reason for my suspicion, just my feelings on the case. I gave my reasons prior to this, and you know it. There has been a lot going on and I am missing it and will be back on limited time very shortly.

Is this summary correct:

You find the Myatt case acceptable for day one; I do not.

Liking or disliking the case is NOT a cause for suspicion that I have used.

Are we done now, so we can follow the other 13 players?

[quote name='House Brax' post='1424857' date='Jul 2 2008, 12.36']Are we done now, so we can follow the other 13 players?[/quote]Agreed, buddy. I am going to leave anyway. I might or might not return until the end of the day, can't say. Even if I'll return in time, I am unlikely to participate unless by putting a vote.
I still think that our best choices are Myatt, Brax or Overton. I won't vote Fell or myself. Everybody other are my tier 2.

[quote name='House Harte' post='1424871' date='Jul 2 2008, 12.43']I just went back and scanned since page 6's count by Targ, and I count 7 votes on Overton. Would someone mind checking me?[/quote]Seven?! I have no force to check you, but I am ready to support. [b]Overton[/b]. It's good lynch.

[quote name='House Harte' post='1424871' date='Jul 2 2008, 12.43']I just went back and scanned since page 6's count by Targ, and I count 7 votes on Overton. Would someone mind checking me?[/quote]
So did I. There are (with Templeton's now) only 6 votes on him. However, since I'm leaving now, and he's a good lynch and unlikely to be saved at this point, Overton.

Can people remove votes from Overton for the time being? I don't think we're in danger of timing out right now so why the rush for a lynch?

ETA: Ok, so we're a little pressed for time but there's still a bit of time left for discussion... more in a bit.

Ok, there are a few posts I wanted to respond to but first I want to play devil's advocate here - well not proper devil's advocate because I actually do think Overton may be innocent.

Yes I agree that he's acting flaky, wishy-washy and what have you, but he also seems bound and determined to respond to every comment that's sent his way even though it just seems to be casting more suspicion towards him.

Also, (other than myself) there seems to be a complete lack of support in the Overton camp right now. Where are FM Overton's partners in all this? I suppose one could believe that he's the SK, but personally I don't suspect him of having the role any more than I suspect anyone else here.

For all those who are looking for people who are picking on 'soft targets' I dare say Overton seems to be that target. I'm much more inclined to lynch someone in the Overton mob right now than I am Overton himself. I'll have to take a closer look at who those people are as the only name I recall seeing there right now is Whitehall's.

[quote name='House Jordayne' post='1424955' date='Jul 2 2008, 13.21']Can people remove votes from Overton for the time being? I don't think we're in danger of timing out right now so why the rush for a lynch?

ETA: Ok, so we're a little pressed for time but there's still a bit of time left for discussion... more in a bit.[/quote]
If there was a rush for the lynch it would of happened. All we need is one more vote, no one has stepped up to the plate yet. The only person I really feel that tried to rush a Overton lynch has been Templeton.

You sticking up for him right now could make a strong case of his FM partner that you mentioned in your last post. With a joke vote on him earlier I can see this being a partnership. The only person that will know for sure if he is mafia, will be the SK when he gets the CF results.

Ok well if I'm not dead then I just have to say...thanks guys I had a good game. I am just meat, but someone said that me dying now shouldn't be too bad for the team, so I suppose it's ok. Is it worth defending myself? I don't really understand the case against me in all honesty, I've just been playing as honestly and openly as I can, sharing with you guys everything I am thinking. If that's controdictory or suspicious, well, that's the human mind. I honestly have no idea who I'm suspicious of now but I hope you figure it out.

Byee!

Goddamn it! I lost all the posts I wanted to respond to :tantrum:

Alright, from off the top of my head:

- Overton - how is it that I went from being 3rd or 4th on your suspect list (depending on which 'Jordayne' entry was accurate) to being in your second-to-last tier?

I only made one post during that timespan and frankly I don't think that post was that earth shattering for your opinion to be swayed so much.

- It's almost irrelevant now that a definition of 'banana' has been given, but please keep in mind not all players play/follow every single game. Yes we have a lot of lingo here that wouldn't make a lot of sense to an outsider, but when it's something as simple as banana=case, er, can't we just use the proper name?

- Templeton bugs me. (There was more to it than that but I'm not going to look for the quote right now)

Archived