No throwing tomatoes please....but I am from .Net

addicted

Greetings to one and all-

I am Amy (a.k.a. Addicted from TG.Net) and have met some of you folks prior. I have recently fallen victim to one of Myshkin's sabotage efforts; so, yes, he was successful in netting a "fish."

He and I have struck up a few private conversations which in essence is what lead me here (I wasn't finished speaking.... but he had been banned by that point). We have been able to maintain respect, integrity, and I believe honesty. The few folks I have encountered before have also been fairly respectful, when spoken to in the same manner, and I'm hoping on your home turf you can continue to do so.

I placed this in the "Entertainment" forums because I have no delusions that this will be nothing [i]but[/i] entertainment to you so, "when in Rome...." :P I however am trying to remain unbiased. I have not read any of Martin's or Jordan's works, so comparison there will be to no advantage. I am new to the genre of fantasy novels and have a small pool of works to refer to but I am willing to try.

I have popped in some other threads, and from what I can tell, besides when conversing about Terry, there are some definite similarities in opinions. So in the spirit of trying to form my own opinions, further my knowledge, and to not judge the many by the few...or even judge the few on limited exposure ...I offer an olive branch.

I offer my resume' of "crazy" :

I am a fan of TG's works.
I respect and consider the man a friend. (Both Mystar and Terry)((spoken personally with them both...beyond signings))
I have done extended research for the site and some even for the upcoming series (freely offered and [i]volunteered![/i] )
I was one of the winners of his recent "essay" contest
I do *not* drink the kool-aid...or the... urine :P and am my own person with my own opinions.
I am honest and enjoy reading/learning other's opinions to expand my own knowledge.
I have not spoken my intentions here, to anyone there (the only way they will find out is if they lurk here) I am not hiding it, but not making a game out of it either.
I try to maintain a healthy sense of humor (some of your parodies are not entirely lost on me)
I have interest in Objectivism, but am not what I would consider an O'ist.
I came here, pathetically outnumbered, out-gunned, and maybe way out of my league....to offer debate, conversations, or just new fodder for the masses. :P

Wert, Moose and Myshkin all have read my posts and I am sure could vouch/banish me as they see fit.

~hears knuckles cracking...Moose scrambling to get a cocktail made....Myshkin grabbing a brew and smoke....all with evil smiles upon their faces and anticipation in their hearts~ :P :P

So..... :D as a community service to both sites I bring the entertainment to you. I will provide the lemmings exactly what you were longing for. I will offer my opinions to any query that I can answer. I have placed myself on your firing line...

[i]"I do however have on full body armor...I am not a moron"-[/i]Serenity :D

What, we have people on this board that purposely go to the Goodkind site just to mock his fans and instigate shit? That's kinda pathetic on our part, if that's true, and I could easily see the inevitable backlash of Goodkind fans coming over here to troll in retribution.

Anyways, I don't like his books and having read some of his interviews, think he's a little delusional, but if you're a fan of Goodkind, no problem. Different strokes and all that.

You really should start reading Martin's ASOIAF series, though.

I guess I don't really have any questions to ask you. How's the weather?

Talk about stepping into the lion's den...

I think it's admirable that you are willing to try to give rational explanations/defences of Goodkind's...work. I'm not sure you'll convince anyone, but, nevertheless admirable.

*grabs some popcorn and sits down to watch*

Most of the Goodkind love/hate takes place in the literature forums, so you might want to try there.

My question (as someone sympathetic to Objectivist philosophy) would be, what aspects of SoT reflect that philosophy in any meaningful way?

[quote name='Angalin' post='1399424' date='Jun 15 2008, 22.49']Oh! I know. What has Goodkind got against chickens? I've never read any of his books, but I keep on hearing about the evil chicken.[/quote]

I'll answer that!!! I've read all of his books but for the last one.

It's a chicken that's NOT really a chicken.!!!

really, you have to read it to appreciate it. :(

welcome to the board :cheers: i offer only this well known proverb...each to their own. i have never or will ever subscribe to any notion that vilifies a person just because they like terry's rambling...i'll put forth that i like fiction that takes me somewhere besides the inner machinations of an authors personal beliefs; so, terry's work isn't for me. IMO, the man has stuck his foot in his mouth on almost every opportunity he was given to open it.

it doesn't apply to you, though. so, stick around...share some opinions and, for the love of god, broaden your science fiction/fantasy horizons. after all, the man says that what he writes is NOT fantasy, IIRC.

again...welcome :)

LOL "Lion's den" :P

I hope you won't view this as backlash or retribution, the intentions on my part are as I stated. I am not trolling, nor have I ever trolled :P I don't have it in me.

My curiosity was peaked, and pardon the pun but, I am seeking my own answers.

I will do my best to present my honest opinion; I am *not* trying to sway yours. I know the futility in that cause. While I am open to debate and such, don't seek changing mine either.

I promise to not utilize "You just don't get it" if you all can refrain from referring to TG as Fairy :P I know it is almost instinctual, but try for prosperity sake.

[quote name='Angalin' post='1399424' date='Jun 15 2008, 13.49']Oh! I know. What has Goodkind got against chickens? I've never read any of his books, but I keep on hearing about the evil chicken.[/quote]

The real question is if you fry the chicken that's not a chicken, will it taste like chicken?

[quote name='RWHamel' post='1399434' date='Jun 15 2008, 14.52']The real question is if you fry the chicken that's not a chicken, will it taste like chicken?[/quote]

of course...everything tastes of chicken.

i have a question for you, A...i don't frequent any terry boards. is there a rebuttal on your boards for all of us martin fans? you know, an opposite "church", as it were.

[quote name='mashiara' post='1399428' date='Jun 15 2008, 14.51']I'll answer that!!! I've read all of his books but for the last one.

It's a chicken that's NOT really a chicken.!!!

really, you have to read it to appreciate it. :([/quote]
:lol: Mashiara, much as I love you, I don't know if I can do that. It's the personification - chickenification - of evil, or something like that, isn't it?

[quote name='RWHamel' post='1399434' date='Jun 15 2008, 14.52']The real question is if you fry the chicken that's not a chicken, will it taste like chicken?[/quote]
Everything tastes like chicken, unless it tastes like pork. ;)

[quote name='Angalin' post='1399443' date='Jun 15 2008, 22.58']:lol: Mashiara, much as I love you, I don't know if I can do that. It's the personification - chickenification - of evil, or something like that, isn't it?[/quote]

Hey, we've all made mistakes in our lives. No? Continuing to read those books was one of mine. :(

And yes, something like that. And I'm sure it would still taste like chicken.

Archived