Footyball!

DJDonegal

I'd forgotten Crouch existed. :unsure:

It sounds like Ade is being a complete ass. I didn't like our chances with him as our lead guy when Henry left, but he did well. We have van Persie, but we can't really afford to let Ade go this summer unless we get somebody else with a bit of established quality in over the summer. Particularly with Eduardo sidelined, and I don't care what they say about his chances for being back early in the season.

[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/7482359.stm"]Deco signs for Chelski.[/url] Bye bye Lampard?

Heh. I asked that question [i]then[/i] read the article. Some Legard dude thinks the same.

DJDonegal:

Apparently Arsenal are lining up Obafemi Martins as a replacement if Adebayor goes. He's a good player, got lots of pace but his finishing does leave a lot to be desired. Sounds like the perfect Arsenal player. :P

In other news, Ronaldo (the Brazilian one) is apparently without a club, as Milan declined to prolong his contract. If even the Milan Lab has doubts of him ever getting fit again, things don't look good for his future. Though it might have more to do with Milan's massive squad overhaul.

[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/7484196.stm"]Robinho for Chelski?[/url]

[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/7483317.stm"]Keane for Liverpool??[/url]

[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/7482773.stm"]Lampard for Inter?[/url]

The last one is the only one I wouldn't be terribly surprised about - also the only one being "played down".

[quote name='Paddy' post='1424154' date='Jul 2 2008, 04.16']I think Tottenham fans would be pissed off with the Spurs board if they sold Keane.
Especially if it was in exchange for Crouch.[/quote]
My quick poll of Spurs fans (sample size = 1) confirms this.

[quote name='SirRots' post='1424307' date='Jul 2 2008, 13.22']Now imagine the lynchings if they trades Berbatrov for Crouch (Like thats ever going to happen :P)[/quote]
Hmmm, I dunno. The Spurs fans I know like Robbie Keane more than Berbatov.

The question of which player would they prefer to have in the team might be different, but I'm not so sure.
They LOVE Keane.

Did anyone here say that?
I dont think anyone here said that.

If the board sell Keane and he doesn't mind staying, then the board should bear the brunt of the responsibility.

i believe that most fans would see it as a distinct lack of ambition if they dont do a lot to try to convince him that staying is the right option.
Also, I think that the Spurs board should only accept a cash-only offer and purchase quality to replace Keane. I think that Peter Crouch exchange thing would be a certain marker of a lack of ambition in the eyes of most Spurs fans (and me).

[quote name='Jon AS' post='1424434' date='Jul 2 2008, 14.42']And maybe it would be considered a lack of ambition on his part if he didn't go to Liverpool? ;)[/quote]

Usually it's only a 'lack of ambition' if the club you turn down actually win things. :P

[quote name='Jon AS' post='1424434' date='Jul 2 2008, 14.42']And maybe it would be considered a lack of ambition on his part if he didn't go to Liverpool?;)[/quote]
If we consider Liverpool as a step up from Spurs, for the sake of argument, it's not necessarily a lack of ambition on his part to not go.
Tottenham hiring of Juande Ramos as manager is a sign that they are a team who wants to improve on their current position in the Premiership and are making decisions and investing to achieve that.
As such, Robbie Keane could well be an important part in making Tottenham a better team than Liverpool or some other top 4 team in the next few years.
I don't think that can be described as a lack of ambition.

Tottenham underachieved big time last season, especially once it became clear they were safe in mid-table mediocrity and won the League Cup, but I think the above is a possible scenario.

Oh, I agree that Liverpool's only real advantage over Spurs next season is probably the Champions League. I am not really arguing for or against anything, I think I'm just suffering from football withdrawal. For almost three days the most interesting news is that Klinsmann has now officially taken charge of Bayern.

When are the first UEFA Cup games going to be played

ETA: The UEFA Cup starts on the 17th, though looking forward to a Hertha game feels truly pathetic...

Archived