GRRM Signing in Columbia SC?

Okay, I've had a burr up my butt to get this arranged for some time. I spoke to GRRM about the possiblity at Technicon in March. He told me to get in contact with a local independent bookseller about hosting him and then get in contact with his publicist. I've contacted the owner of "The Happy Bookseller" here in Columbia and they would be delighted to host Mr. Martin.

With the kind assistance of the wonderful Mud Clerk Parris I have been able to get in contact with Mr. Martin's publicist and put irons in the fire to try to get a signing here in the balmy city of Columbia when ADWD is published.

Now, why am I starting a thread for a signing that is not finalized and has no date? Quite simply because I'd like to see how many boarders are in South Carolina or the Southeast (or further for the very brave) who would be willing to travel to a booksigning located here in Columbia. Obviously, the better the turn out I can predict the more likely the signing is to happen. Please let me know if you would be willing to travel to Columbia South Carolina for such a signing.

Thanks in adavance.

Ser Scot.

If you do it in late September, I'll be in the Columbia area for my grandmother's 100 year birthday party. I should be able to steal an hour or so to meet up with some boarders. :)

ETA: I didn't read your post close enough... Of course since DwD won't be published in September, the timing will be off....

Angalin,

[quote name='Angalin' post='1415046' date='Jun 25 2008, 17.21']Scot, did his publicist or the bookseller say how many people they would want to have turn out in order to make GRRM's stop worthwhile?[/quote]

They didn't. I do know the bookseller seemed very exicted by the prospect of a signing. He had a Robert Jordan siging before Mr. Rigney passed away and it went very well. I mentioned GRRM and he knew exactly who I was talking about and said he'd love to host him. If we could get 100 people for an hour long signing I'd imagine it would be worth his while.

Anyone know what a good turn out at a book signing for GRRM has been in the past?

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1415106' date='Jun 25 2008, 16.54']They didn't. I do know the bookseller seemed very exicted by the prospect of a signing. He had a Robert Jordan siging before Mr. Rigney passed away and it went very well. I mentioned GRRM and he knew exactly who I was talking about and said he'd love to host him. If we could get 100 people for an hour long signing I'd imagine it would be worth his while.[/quote]
If you get a chance to ask, Scot, would you please? I know Neil Gaiman gets in the hundreds at his signings, but I don't think GRRM has achieved quite that rock-star-like status yet. (Maybe he needs to wear more black. ;))

Angalin,

[quote name='Angalin' post='1415645' date='Jun 26 2008, 00.59']If you get a chance to ask, Scot, would you please? I know Neil Gaiman gets in the hundreds at his signings, but I don't think GRRM has achieved quite that rock-star-like status yet. (Maybe he needs to wear more black. ;))[/quote]

Will do. It may be more efficent to simply PM Parris again. I told my wife last night that I was suprised by how quickly she responded given the fact she and GRRM are on vacation. Laura looked at me as if I'd grown a third head. She said, "You sound like a groupy for a rock band, it's a little frightening."

Is trying to get a signing in your home town, I dare say, geekier than normal?

Trackrunner,

Glad to hear you're interested. That's at least three (including me and my wife's friend who I hooked on ASOIAF) who will be there.

Ran,

[quote name='Ran' post='1416066' date='Jun 26 2008, 09.26']GRRM has gotten hundreds at signings, it must be said, but in places like New York City. Not sure about how many fans he has in South Carolina. :)[/quote]

I usually bring a book with me to court in case there's a long wait before my case is called. I get more positive comments on my books re ASOIAF than any other books. Apparently (as should be evedent due to the plethora of board lawyers) attorney's really like ASOIAF.

Is it unusually geeky to try to get a signing in my home town?

[quote name='Ran' post='1416066' date='Jun 26 2008, 08.26']GRRM has gotten hundreds at signings, it must be said, but in places like New York City. Not sure about how many fans he has in South Carolina. :)[/quote]
Not dissing GRRM, Ran, because it's clear he has at least his fair share of fans, but I'm pretty sure I stole my comment about Gaiman's "rock-star" status from you. ;) (In a recent blog entry, NG was pondering how to make thousands of fans happy in Brazil. Maybe GRRM's translators just need to work faster.)

I'd love to get GRRM up here, but suspect it depends on sales in the area and the likely turnout to make it worth the publisher's and GRRM's while.

*side note: Thing 1 wants to know why that green face goes behind that yellow face then turns red. Um....*

My parents are in the process of moving to the Charlotte, NC area. Theres a chance I'll show if I can arrange a weekend to both visit the parents and swing on down to Columbia for a signing. It's tentative at very best, but possible.

Okay, I just got off the phone with a representative of the sales department at Bantam. They said this is, at best, pre-pre-planning for a book tour. They are talking about an "off-site" signing with the possiblity of a short talk by Mr. Martin before the signing commences. I've never heard of that around here, but, I'm going to work with the local bookseller to do everything I can to make this happen.

I'll update this thread periodically as new information is received.

Archived