Tomatoes 2

Jaxom 1974

[quote name='Foreverlad' post='1458042' date='Jul 27 2008, 10.54']If I remember my Goodkind history well enough, TG had the same editor up through FotF and, disgusted with being forced to add a scene to the book, finally managed to get the editor replaced. TG got the scene removed for the paperback version, so if it could be chalked up to an editorial mistake, I'm fairly certain it would have been altered upon reprint.[/quote]

Besides, who needs editors for clarity of reading, when you have reader interpretation?

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1458046' date='Jul 27 2008, 11.58']Besides, who needs editors for clarity of reading, when you have reader interpretation?[/quote]

Reader interpretation only works if you're interpreting things EXACTLY the same as the author wants you to. Otherwise you're a naughty little lemming of discord too young to appreciate the work for what it is.

[url="http://tv.ign.com/dor/objects/14260956/legend-of-the-seeker/videos/leg_seeker_sdcc08_int.html"]Goodkind in the flesh[/url]. A video interview about the TV series.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1458023' date='Jul 27 2008, 23.28']We hashed that out a bit before. Could it have been an editorial mistake? Sure. If it is something that's slipped through editorially, wouldn't it be something that would be fixed in subsequent printings?

And since TG doesn't do re-writes, what's the point of an editor? :P[/quote]

Well, it seems like it wasn't fixed or altered in the subsequent editions, so we are forced, or at least we could safely assume, that the scene does not have/is not an editorial mistake and Richard really ripped off his half-brother's spine and its not some sort of mistaken reader's interpretation because jeez, TG was pretty explicit on what happened on that scene. To claim 'editorial mistake' on the inconsistency of what happened there is just 'whut'.

He was, however, very vague on how Drefan managed to use the damn sword.

(also, let me just express my frustration: there is NO WAY Drefan would have been able to swing that sword, leaning or not with his spine ripped out. Christ, people who had spinal column injuries couldn't move or are completely paralyzed--how much more someone whose spine was yanked out? Your motor functions/coordinations would have gone fucking haywire)

[quote name='The Wolf Maid' post='1458823' date='Jul 28 2008, 11.51'](also, let me just express my frustration: there is NO WAY Drefan would have been able to swing that sword, leaning or not with his spine ripped out. Christ, people who had spinal column injuries couldn't move or are completely paralyzed--how much more someone whose spine was yanked out? Your motor functions/coordinations would have gone fucking haywire)[/quote]
:agree: Someone claimed earlier that it would have been possible because he could still move his arms - but I think that that poster didn't realise that in order to stab someone with a sword, you need to use muscles high up the arm that are impossible to use without full control of the muscles in your [i]back[/i]. Specifically, if the spine was damaged in the stomach area, use of that specific muscle would be impeded.

That said... I don't honestly have a problem with the stabbity stabbing. It's a final-strike straight out of a cheesy thriller. I have a far greater problem with the necessity of the argument over the "it". Cheese is one thing, crap English is another.

[quote name='The Wolf Maid' post='1458823' date='Jul 28 2008, 06.51'](also, let me just express my frustration: there is NO WAY Drefan would have been able to swing that sword, leaning or not with his spine ripped out. Christ, people who had spinal column injuries couldn't move or are completely paralyzed--how much more someone whose spine was yanked out? Your motor functions/coordinations would have gone fucking haywire)[/quote]

Suuuuuuure Wolf Maid. Until you have your spine ripped out, don't tell us what is or isn't possible.

Everyone thinks they're an expert. :P

Don't know if this has been picked up, and I'm too lazy to read the whole thread. . .

One of my contacts sent me this link to another nugget of wisdom by board favorite Mystar: [url="http://www.terrygoodkind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11279"]http://www.terrygoodkind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11279[/url]

Enjoy!

Patrick

[quote name='pat5150' post='1459135' date='Jul 28 2008, 12.17']Don't know if this has been picked up, and I'm too lazy to read the whole thread. . .

One of my contacts sent me this link to another nugget of wisdom by board favorite Mystar: [url="http://www.terrygoodkind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11279"]http://www.terrygoodkind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11279[/url]

Enjoy!

Patrick[/quote]

Where's Moose when we need him for a great quote of the day breakdown? There's just too much for a mere mortal to criticize.

[quote name='Foreverlad' post='1459172' date='Jul 28 2008, 18.51']Where's Moose when we need him for a great quote of the day breakdown? There's just too much for a mere mortal to criticize.[/quote]

Hmm, I really feel like putting all the Richard quotes and Terry Goodkind quotes together and write a concerned letter to Disney.....
That I didn't know they supported face kicking, slaughtering peace protesters, that Canada isn't a free country etc;P

[quote name='pat5150' post='1459135' date='Jul 28 2008, 11.17']Don't know if this has been picked up, and I'm too lazy to read the whole thread. . .

Enjoy!

Patrick[/quote]

:lol:

That, my friends, was a textbook example of what people in the know call "spin control". The simple fact that it came out before the series hit the air, and so many "salient" points [u][b]NEEDED TO BE HIGHLIGHTED[/b][/u] simply makes it even more laughable.

Who posted the link to the story from NZ that indicated the name was changed to avoid conflict with religious groups in the US? Raise your hands now, who thinks that much more plausible an explanation rather than it being something TG wanted?

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1459709' date='Jul 28 2008, 19.02']Raise your hands now, who thinks that much more plausible an explanation rather than it being something TG wanted?[/quote]

In all *ahem* fairness, The WFR series is supposed to be very lightly rated, like G or PG at the worst. Goodkind had Zedd clean up his forums to make it more friendly and inviting, pretty much following the rules of the bar: no politics, religion or...I don't know, communism?

If GK is being that protective of his investment (don't matter who you sell to, just so long as you sell), I could see him trying to prevent another 'Harry Potter is the devil' sort of ordeal.

I'll try to find a link to the forum cleanup. I think it was explained in the Reason's Light forum.

Archived