"Twilight" by Stephanie Meyer - A YA vampire novel

potsherds

I was just sort of curious if anyone else has read this book, and what they thought of it.

It's three years old, and there are other books in the series now, that I'm not sure I'll read.
It was a very [i]easy[/i] read, read it all in one evening, and my interest in it kept me up and awake long enough to finish it, so I definitely enjoyed it in a way. I'm regretting reading the bio on the author, as I evaluated the entire book based on knowing she graduated from BYU and therefore was a LDS.

I found it [i]extremely[/i] childish and unrealistic though.

SPOILER: criticisms of plot points

The main character is a girl named Bella, Edward is the vampire bf.

The entire 'love' relationship is extremely co-dependent, and Edwards attraction to her relies primarily on the fact that he can't read her mind like other humans, and she's smells like the most appealing piece of food he's ever encountered. :rolleyes: Meanwhile, her attraction to him is mostly based on vampiric bedazzlement, as far as I could tell.

There's no sex, which I thought unusual, not even mentioned in passing, considering most of the characters were 17. It seems like Forks, WA was full of extremely chaste, 'no sex before marriage' sorts of kids, which unless similar to Colorado City, makes no sense.

The story really didn't stress the 'a vampire is a monster' angle well enough, honestly, for me. It was quickly glossed over after a few chapters. I don't know that I've ever been completely satisfied with an author's way of addressing this aspect of their inhumaness (the author that does, will likely have the main protagonist being sucked dry by his/here vampire paramour/friend), though Meyer's way was one of the least satisfactory I've encountered (but it's a YA novel, so that's not surprising).

Anywho, other than bashing the book while admitting I did enjoy it once I was finished rolling my eyes at things, I wanted some more 'guilty pleasure' vampire recommends. I'm wondering if I've actually missed any good vampire books. I'm rather skeptical that I have, but recommend away.

Already read as much LKH as I could stomach. :sick:
Working on the one about the redheaded witch, now.
Uh. :unsure: Been through Rice, McKinley (GOOD BOOK!), Tanith Lee, and some other, really shoddy authors, like Stoker. :P Gods, I hated that book.

I won't be the only one to recommend this, but I am probably its biggest pimp on the board:

[u]Already Dead[/u] by Charlie Huston

It's a fucking fantastic fast paced hardcore ride. The only problem I've seen that people have with it is there's a [i]little[/i] bit of cursing and it is quite violent. Here's some links to bloggers on the board that have reviewed it:

[url="http://nethspace.blogspot.com/2008/06/already-dead-by-charlie-huston-charlie.html"]kcf[/url]
[url="http://thedecklededge.blogspot.com/2008/01/already-dead.html"]beniowa[/url]
[url="http://natsecorma.net/theredundantblog/2007/12/30/already-dead-by-charlie-huston/"]amras[/url]
[url="http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/2007/12/already-dead-no-dominion-half-blood-of.html"]FantasyBookCritic[/url]

Other damn good vampire books are:

[u]Fevre Dream[/u] by GRRM
[u]Anno Dracula[/u] by Kim Newman

[quote]I'm regretting reading the bio on the author, as I evaluated the entire book based on knowing she graduated from BYU and therefore was a LDS.[/quote]

First of all, graduating from BYU doesn't necessarily make one LDS. Second of all, if she is Mormon I find it kind of pathetic that you would judge her based solely upon her religion.

[quote name='Morcant' post='1418703' date='Jun 27 2008, 19.56']First of all, graduating from BYU doesn't necessarily make one LDS. Second of all, if she is Mormon I find it kind of pathetic that you would judge her based solely upon her religion.[/quote]
She is, and there were certainly tells of the level of her religiosity in the book. Everyone has dislikes in what authors bring to their writing. Mine happens to be Puritan thinking and religiosity. :) You're surely welcome to your opinion, though.

Have you tried Jim Butcher's [i]Dresden Files[/i]? The vampires can be monsters, and some of the vampire characters fight really hard against their monster nature (the vampire Thomas comes up with a very original idea - an especially cool one if you are familiar with LKH's books. :) )

[quote name='potsherds' post='1418607' date='Jun 27 2008, 14.47']I'm wondering if I've actually missed any good vampire books. I'm rather skeptical that I have, but recommend away.[/quote]

[i]Agyar[/i], by Steven Brust?

Technically, it's a spoiler to call it a vampire novel, but I'm not sure there's a good way around that.

It definitely has the "inhumaness" down.

[quote name='duchess of malfi' post='1418792' date='Jun 27 2008, 21.14']Have you tried Jim Butcher's [i]Dresden Files[/i]? The vampires can be monsters, and some of the vampire characters fight really hard against their monster nature (the vampire Thomas comes up with a very original idea - an especially cool one if you are familiar with LKH's books. :) )[/quote]
I've actually considered trying the series but reading summaries and such, it failed to interest me. I may give it a shot from a library one day, but I'm currently living in the middle of nowhere, so there's no telling whether the library here would have the books.

Ambyr, thanks. :)

I've heard appalling things about this book. Now that I'm finished with Fatal Revenant, my "fun and well written" books quota for the next few months has been fulfilled. I guess it's time to start reading some really awful books again. "Twilight" is near the top of the list, along with the next Goodkind book, or whatever garbage Newcomb has left out on the side of the curb. I'm still kind of reluctant about Twilight: teenage vampire romance novels sound even deadlier than the usual junk that I subject myself too.

I would second both Joe Pitt series and the Dresden Files, though knowning you Pots you might like Joe Pitt better. Huston does an extremely good job making the vampires realistic and the main character is himself a vampire.

[quote name='ambyr' post='1418802' date='Jun 27 2008, 14.23'][i]Agyar[/i], by Steven Brust?

Technically, it's a spoiler to call it a vampire novel, but I'm not sure there's a good way around that.

It definitely has the "inhumaness" down.[/quote]
Hmm. I hope it wasn't a big spoiler, because I was planning on reading that soon.

[quote name='Zap Rowsdower' post='1418876' date='Jun 27 2008, 22.28']I've heard appalling things about this book. Now that I'm finished with Fatal Revenant, my "fun and well written" books quota for the next few months has been fulfilled. I guess it's time to start reading some really awful books again. "Twilight" is near the top of the list, along with the next Goodkind book, or whatever garbage Newcomb has left out on the side of the curb. I'm still kind of reluctant about Twilight: teenage vampire romance novels sound even deadlier than the usual junk that I subject myself too.[/quote]
Eh. Well, it's honestly rather short, at least. 400-some pages and largish print. Like I said, it was interesting enough that I stayed up hours past my usual bedtime to finish it, so [i]something[/i] about it was entertaining. I really am rather disappointed on how...disconnected from any sort of Earth-like, American youth reality it was, though. Eye-rollingly old fashioned and such. It's easily for the younger end of the YA age bracket.

Now, I have not read the book, but have heard something that I thought was a bit disturbing, and would like to know if it is true.

I will try to spoil it...

SPOILER: Twilight
Is it true that the only ambition and goal the teenaged female lead character has in her life is to die so she can be with her vampire boyfriend forever?

[quote name='duchess of malfi' post='1418911' date='Jun 27 2008, 23.02']Now, I have not read the book, but have heard something that I thought was a bit disturbing, and would like to know if it is true.

I will try to spoil it...

SPOILER: Twilight
Is it true that the only ambition and goal the teenaged female lead character has in her life is to die so she can be with her vampire boyfriend forever?
[/quote]

SPOILER: Response
Uh. Well, it might actually be spelled out that way in later books. By the end of this book, she wants to be a vampire, to stay with Edward forever and ever *obligatory roll of the eyes*, and since Edward is adamant he'll never willingly change her, I imagine she later decides she's got to be on her deathbed for Edward to allow anyone to change her. She actually practically was near the end of the book, and it a bit disappointed he didn't do it then. It's not so much her desire to become a vamp that bothers me, upon reflection, but the [i]reason[/i]. The relationship, as depicted in the series is extremely unhealthy, so the girl's desire is for very bad reasons.

[quote name='potsherds' post='1418889' date='Jun 27 2008, 15.37']Eh. Well, it's honestly rather short, at least. 400-some pages and largish print. Like I said, it was interesting enough that I stayed up hours past my usual bedtime to finish it, so [i]something[/i] about it was entertaining. I really am rather disappointed on how...disconnected from any sort of Earth-like, American youth reality it was, though. Eye-rollingly old fashioned and such. It's easily for the younger end of the YA age bracket.[/quote]

You seem to think it was "meh" rather than 'Arghgh!" Fair enough. If its only mediocre and not agonizing, then I might bump it much further down the list. I'm really on interested in Grade A Tripe: I accept no imitations!

However... I've read reviews like [url="http://buttfacemakani.livejournal.com/281619.html#cutid1"]this[/url] and [url="http://otahyoni.livejournal.com/130432.html"]this[/url] that seem to indicate it should have the place of honor at the top of the "Bad Books I'm Going to Read" list.

I'll have to sleep on it and decide whether I'll go for Twilight or Terry Goodkind's Faith of the Fallen. While I decide, maybe I'll have to finally finish up Killer in Drag.

[quote name='Zap Rowsdower' post='1418935' date='Jun 27 2008, 23.51']You seem to think it was "meh" rather than 'Arghgh!" Fair enough. If its only mediocre and not agonizing, then I might bump it much further down the list. I'm really on interested in Grade A Tripe: I accept no imitations!

However... I've read reviews like [url="http://buttfacemakani.livejournal.com/281619.html#cutid1"]this[/url] and [url="http://otahyoni.livejournal.com/130432.html"]this[/url] that seem to indicate it should have the place of honor at the top of the "Bad Books I'm Going to Read" list.[/quote]
:rofl: Oh wow. Nono, those are both rather accurate. I especially like the second link as it sums up the complete lack of explanation or thought into [i]why[/i] the two main characters 'love' each other, and stress how obsessive they both are over each other for uh...one being tasty food, and the other being vampiricly bedazzled.

I should add that I'm NOT someone to sniff out bad prose until subjected to it repeatedly. It took me many books before I got annoyed at TG, for instance. I DID notice weaknesses in her writing though they didn't bother me much. Someone with a better sense of good v. bad prose might find the book quite intolerable. If you can get over how unrealistic the entire story is, it's [i]entertaining[/i]...perhaps. I don't honestly see any other redeeming features other than that though.

Upon reading further down the second link, I'd highly recommend it for a browse before deciding if the book's worth your time, for amusement's sake or whatever. :P

Hey's he's a *good* vampire who only drinks from animals, you forgot that part. :P

The worst thing is how hyped this book is. I read it because everyone was recommending it so I thought it *had* to be good. It wasn't excruciatingly bad but the other two books are.

Fans even claim that when the Amazon rating went below 4 stars, hundreds of 1 sentence 5 star reviews were suddenly posted, which they think was done by Meyer's publisher.

When I first realized it was set in high school and the vampires were also students, I immediately though "OMG eternity in High School? That is truly hell." Unbelievable, can you imagine being in High School forever? And this is the life Bella wants! Why the heck would anyone enroll in High School again and again instead of trying to pass himself off as an adult?

P.S. In Eclipse Bella breaks her hand when she hits Jacob (because he forced a kiss on her). When she gets home her father Charlie laughs at her and congratulates Jacob. I kid you not, this is actually in the book, I am not even exagerating. That's how bad the last two books are.

[quote]“What’s wrong with her?” Charlie wondered.

“She thinks she broke her hand,” I heard Jacob tell him. I went to the freezer and pulled out a tray of ice cubes.

“How did she do that?” As my father, I thought Charlie ought to sound a bit less amused and a bit more concerned.

Jacob laughed. “She hit me.”

Charlie laughed, too, and I scowled while I beat the tray against the edge of the sink. The ice scattered inside the basin, and I grabbed a handful with my good hand and wrapped the cubes in the dishcloth on the counter.

“Why did she hit you?”

“Because I kissed her,” Jacob said, unashamed.

“Good for you, kid,” Charlie congratulated him.[/quote]

• 2 weeks later...
So, I don't know a whole lot about urban fantasy romance vampire novels, but I did read Anita Blake. While I thought the series started out with a real bang (and really cool ideas), like others, i was rather horrified by what it spiraled into.

So then I moved onto Sookie Stackhouse. Again, we have the same plot elements: hot human chick with plucky personality and some paranormal power that makes her different then other normal chicks; hot 'smoldering' vamp boyfriend who loves human chick, which means their love/sexual attraction is doomed; love triangle involving human woman, vamp and were; terrible violence and emotional trauma ensues. And so on. But I liked Sookie, although as the series progresses, I am having a harder time caring.

Then I tried Patricia Brigg's 'Moon Called.' Enh. Never got passed the first one. Although [url="http://dailycoyote.blogspot.com/"]coyotes are cool[/url].

Next I tried Lilith Saintcrow's Dante Valentine series. Technically it's not a vamp novel, but it has a lot of the same woman of badassery elements and scary dangerous paranormal love interests, mixed with lots of violence. But as far as I am concerned, the Dante Valentine series really blows the rest out of the water (although I have not read a lot of paranormal romance urban fantasy, so don't jump down my virtual throat). Her world is way more original than anything I'd seen in a while, and I decided I have a major girl-crush on Dante - I totally love her character. I also really like the physicality that Saintcrow brought to her, so that not only are you in Dante's head, but you are in her body as well. I felt like I needed to be clenching my fists and reaching for sword hilts after i read the series. I went straight through the series in a matter of days, i enjoyed it so much.

so then yesterday i got Entertainment Weekly. And there was some crap about a famous vampire novel on the front, and Cedric Diggory was wearing lipstick.

I was miffed for two reasons. First, everyone in the article kept comparing the bruhahah over this series to Harry Potter and JKR. All i have to say to that is: Redonk, people. Second, I had never heard of this 'Twilight' business, and here EW was talking about it as if it was the total shit. I was actually really offended by this turn of affairs, and ranted animatedly to my roommate about it for while. Then I decided that Cedric Diggory looks hot as a brooding vamp, so I went out and got the book.

Spoilers Below:
I read it straight through. I think I have the same probs that everyone else here seems to have. The plot was totally puerile and worse, it ripped off like every vamp novel out there: human girl with strange power attracts amazingly gorgeous but dangerous vamp; the beginnings of human, vamp, were love triangle; violence ensues. Worse, there was all that bit about some of the vamps not wanting to feed off humans, and instead developing other ways of co-existing with them, despite the horrible thirst struggle. Although this is a feature of many vamp novels/Buffyverses, the story of Carlisle Cullen reminded me just a bit too much of Fevre Dream for my liking.

That said, I'm a sucker for romance. I get all swoony whenever I think of the great love stories in the fantasy of Juliet Marillier and Cecilia Dart-Thorton's Bitterbynde Trilogy. What can I say. So for this reason the cheesy love story in Twilight appealed straight to the ex-teenage girl lurking inside me, even though it was indeed a creepy love obession thing. But still, I'll admit it - Edward Cullen is dreamy. Moving on.

I can say that I enjoyed the first half of the novel the best, when it was just a teenage girl dealing with highschool life and her budding romance with an inhuman being, before it turned into the typical violent some-monster-is-trying-to-murder-or-torture-or-rape-the-protaganist-and-then-the-love-interest-swoops-in-to-save-her-either-physically-or-emotionally-thing. In fact, I was sad to see in EW that in the movie there seems to be a focus on the Vamps/Paranormals rather than on the humans. Of all the characters they named, only the main girl was human, with no mention of her father or her friends at school, who really take up the most part of the book - the part I liked best.

I guess the reason Twilight is such a success even though it is almost wholly unoriginal is the fact that it is YA. I am assuming that most of its fans have never read Anita Blake, Sookie, or Dante Valentine (much less Fevre Dream et al), because these books lurk in the 'grown-up fantasy' section. YA really has gotten the short end of the stick - sure, most of it is not great literature (unless we're talking someone like Peter Beagle!), but it really plays an important role in the reading development of a lot of future SF/F readers. So it's nice when occasionally people have to pay attention to it - I do think it is important that people at large are really starting to see the power of YA.

That said, I am also rather grossed out that the entire fan base seems to be screaming females. But again, the industry really needs to be cognizant of and attentive to the resounding presence of interested female readers. No one in the fantasy industry acknowledged my existence when I started reading SF/F in third grade - they claimed women (and especially girls) 'did not read that kind of thing' - I literally was a mythical being. But now a whole lot of screaming-black-clad-alternative-universe-versions-of-me are indicating to the industry something most of us have known for awhile: we really do exist.

So my feelings on Twilight are VERY mixed. I go from annoyed scoffing to swoony to pleased with all the teenage empowerment. Go figure.

I have to work really hard to end this.
Bella is such an uninteresting character, and the interaction between her character and the rest of the world is so weird: I mean she is not funny, not amiable, but everyone is so good to her nevertheless, in a sane universe she would have make a lot of people not enemies but at least uninterested about her, but no.
And the vamps, I LOVE vamps, so I am really surprise that the bunch of this book ended up being so boring to me.
LugaJetBoyGirl: Haven´t you tried Anne Rice; she gets a lot of hate on this board, but I love her, her vamps are crazy and hot, but some a little to emo: Luie and Armand, but if you don´t read interview and Armand you will be spared.

Can anyone give me some recomendations of something AnneRiceske, I mean some hot males, some romance and some phylosophy. Please don´t point me at Laure K. Hamilton, I tried but ended triyng to take out my eyes whit a spoon...

Archived