"Twilight" by Stephanie Meyer - A YA vampire novel

potsherds

[quote name='Wyatt' post='1467016' date='Aug 3 2008, 13.16']My sister loves these books. Personally I hate nearly every modern vampire series and won't go within a meter of them.

But after seeing...whatever the hell that was up there in those links, I am almost intrigued.[/quote]

DEATH BABY COMMANDS YOU TO READ TWILIGHT!

...all that really makes me think that this might be another one of those books that I'll try to get used only to be able to throw my grain of mockery in afterwards...

:rolleyes:

Isn't it weird how you're compelling to read those bad books, knowing they're bad books only to be able to point your finger and laugh later? Yeah, let's hear it for alternative forms of personal satisfaction ;)

[quote name='Nymeria87' post='1467141' date='Aug 3 2008, 17.34']Isn't it weird how you're compelling to read those bad books, knowing they're bad books only to be able to point your finger and laugh later? Yeah, let's hear it for alternative forms of personal satisfaction ;)[/quote]
There are worse things in the world... ;)

[quote name='Nymeria87' post='1467141' date='Aug 4 2008, 01.34']...all that really makes me think that this might be another one of those books that I'll try to get used only to be able to throw my grain of mockery in afterwards...

:rolleyes:

Isn't it weird how you're compelling to read those bad books, knowing they're bad books only to be able to point your finger and laugh later? Yeah, let's hear it for alternative forms of personal satisfaction ;)[/quote]
:unsure:
I really don't think the books are even entertaining enough to slog through. The first was short, so it was easy to get through, but the thought of going through another book by the same author is not pleasant. I'd rather someone just make a website of parodies and summarize the books so that it's takes 5 mins to explain a story of such little depth.

I could not quite believe the spoilerish name, so googled it, and already made its way to the wikipedia. I got to say, in wikipedia formal language, it makes it all looking even more giggle inducing. oh yay! It´s evil to be so amused, but I have found this Twilight fandom phenom completely fascinating before already...

Mary-Sue-ism, a dangerous force - it´s what made the series so popular, but I get the feeling it got out of control and completely derailed by it on this book.

[quote name='Leibuna' post='1467513' date='Aug 4 2008, 08.31']And here I sit, eagerly awaiting my copy... :uhoh:[/quote]

I have not read any of these books (though I am now tempted for the simple train wreck factor) but I did check out the reviews for the fourth one, and there is a shitstorm over it at Amazon right now, between the fans who loved it and the fans who hated it.

If you are really looking forward to it, hopefully you will find things in it to enjoy! Some people have!

[quote name='Gormenghast' post='1467493' date='Aug 4 2008, 11.56']There's a good, hilarious summary [url="http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=46134"]over here[/url].

Spoilers, I guess.[/quote]
Ah, thanks for that. The comic a few posts down in that thread is hilarious.

My girlfriend is madly in love with these books, but then she's been on an escapist crap fiction kick for about a year now. It's like I'm dating a 15-year-old in the body of a 25-year-old.

She even freaking "squee'd" when the trailer for the movie played in front of The Dark Knight. I don't understand it, but I can't really make fun of her too much. I am a member of a message board dedicated to a fantasy series, as she likes to point out. To which I have to reply, at least it's well-written.

[quote name='Joanna Nox' post='1467191' date='Aug 3 2008, 21.52']There are worse things in the world... ;)[/quote]

There are indeed.

And man, I just spent a few hours totally wasted reading this and getting much too entertained about how bad this was. Some thoughts (with spoilers) [url="http://nymeria87.wordpress.com/2008/08/04/just-because-i-had-to-see-if-it-really-is-that-bad/"]here[/url].

This was actually worse than I thought :stunned:

[quote name='duchess of malfi' post='1467684' date='Aug 4 2008, 17.36']I have not read any of these books (though I am now tempted for the simple train wreck factor) but I did check out the reviews for the fourth one, and there is a shitstorm over it at Amazon right now, between the fans who loved it and the fans who hated it.

If you are really looking forward to it, hopefully you will find things in it to enjoy! Some people have![/quote]

I like them [i]because[/i] they're a train wreck - they're so bad, they're good :D.

There is so bad it's good, then there is so bad its horrible, for most it seems these books are so bad they're horrible. I could only read the first three paragraphs before wanting to throw up. To be honest I don't care much one way or the other in regards to Twilight mostly because I'm not a big Vampire fiction fan. But I can sympathize, as a fantasy fan I had to suffer Eragon, and Twilight seems to do for vampires what Eragon did for fantasy.

LMAO I read the spoiler. I can hardly believe the summaries are for real!

[quote]For those unfamiliar with the Twilight books: A clumsy, naive, plain teenage girl (Bella) moves to Forks, Washington where everyone falls in love with her instantly, and she falls in love with a 107 year old vampire boy (Edward) who has never had a boner, never had a personality, and who sparkles in the sunlight.[/quote]

This is completely, absolutely true. Add in the fact that the vampires are in High School *forever*.

[quote name='Draco the Lizard' post='1466787' date='Aug 3 2008, 09.50']The vampires SPARKLE in this series. I think that kind of says it all. The fact that it's supposed to be the Ultimate Female Romantic Fantasy worries me as well, because Edward acts like a creepy stalker half the time, and Bella wants to become a vampire just so she can be with him forever and ever and ever. She has no ambition in her life apart from being with Edward. If that's supposed to be the Ultimate Female Romantic Fantasy, I'll pass, thanks.[/quote]

This sums it up so well. Between what I've read of it (my younger sister likes it /sigh), and the summaries in this thread, I think we can safely declare this:

Creepy Mormon Romantic Fantasy ... with Vampires THAT SPARKLE!!!

Archived