July '08 Reading Thread

RedEyedGhost

You all know the drill, so I'll start it off:

I am absolutely loving the book I'm reading at the moment - [u]Sharp Teeth[/u] by Toby Barlow. The plot is great, the werewolves are unique, and the style is fantastic. It's written in verse, and I cannot remember the last time I read a book in verse. I was a little worried about this, but it flows so well, and provides great emphasis where the author wants it.

I've got the following books on deck:

[u]Infoquake[/u] by David Louis Edelman
[u]The Limits of Enchantment[/u] by Graham Joyce
[u]Water for Elephants[/u] by Sara Gruen
[u]Street: Empathy[/u] by Ryan A. Span (Korr on the board)

Here are my planned reads:

[b]To Finish Reading:[/b]

Brandon Sanderson, [i]The Hero of Ages[/i]

Adam Roberts, [i]Splinter[/i]

[b]To Read:[/b]

Paul Kearney, [i]The Ten Thousand[/i]

Salman Rushdie, [i]The Enchantress of Florence[/i]

Nick Harkaway, [i]The Gone-Away World[/i]

Cormac McCarthy, [i]No Country for Old Men[/i]

Toni Morrison, [i]Beloved[/i]

Thomas Pynchon, [i]V.[/i]

[quote name='Dylanfanatic' post='1422418' date='Jun 30 2008, 23.28']Here are my planned reads:

[b]To Finish Reading:[/b]

Brandon Sanderson, [i]The Hero of Ages[/i][/quote]

So jealous :tantrum:

[quote name='Dylanfanatic' post='1422440' date='Jun 30 2008, 23.52']Why am I not surprised? ;)

Let's not have your jealousy be the "ruin" of you ;)[/quote]

Let's not have my jealousy be the ruin of you :ninja:

:P

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1422457' date='Jul 1 2008, 01.15']Let's not have my jealousy be the ruin of you :ninja:

:P[/quote]

May I have Preservation on my side then! ;)

Of course, perhaps I should be putting this in spoiler tags :P

I'm still reading non-fiction. Just finished Ryszard Kapuściński's [i]Travels with Herodotus [/i]where he reminisces about his early career as a reporter for the Polish News Agency sent to places like India, China, and Africa, all the while reading passages from Herodotus. It's more homage to Herodotus than analysis, but an enjoyable read. Now I'm reading another book by Kapuściński', [i]The Shadow of the Sun[/i], about his coverage in Africa -- mostly during the turmoil of the 60s. Apparently, his style is unique. Some have called him the Magical Realist of Journalism. He was greatly admired by Rushdie and Garcia Marquez, but I also read a diatribe by Jack Shafer in Slate ranting about his embellishments and reporting methods. I dunno. I thought I'd try him and find out for myself.

Next, I'll probably start on the last two books of Carey's Imriel trilogy.

I'm doing a quick reread of ASoS, to give me some time to catch up on all my reviews from June (slacker!)... after that, there's plenty on the stack, but I think next up will be the 3-volume history of the Lord of the Rings (Return of the Shadow, the Fall of Isengard and the War of the Ring). After reading the History of the Hobbit I felt the need to follow up with the main event...

Katharine Kerr [i]The Shadow Isle[/i]

Finished actually, but her books are oh so much better the second time around. Highly recommended for those who have devoured all of her books to date. She writes a split narrative, hopping back and forth between time periods charting the same characters' past lives. This has worked for her in the past, but she is now well and truly in the present for this book with all the loose ends to tie up.

Raymond E Feist [i]Mad God's Wrath[/i]

REF keeps getting better after ten years of disappointing efforts. Can't wait for this one..

'Toll the Hounds' is my 'can't fit it on the train so have to read it at home' book, it's heavy going but it's also good to be back in Genabackis at long last :thumbsup:
Glen Cook's 'The Tower of Fear' is my 'commuter book' and a damn fine commuter book it is too! :)

About a quarter a way through [i]The Farfarers [/i]by Farley Mowat. It is a non-fiction book about the Albans who inhabited the British Isles prior to the Celtic invasions. The Albans then migrated to Scotland, and onto Iceland, Greenland and finally Newfoundland based on brief historical writings of the Romans, Celtic preists and Viking sagas and archeaology. It is a good read and Farley Mowat knows how to spin a tale.

Just finished Toll the Hounds a couple days ago, and now I'm reading 'The Religion' by Tom Willocks. It's really really good. EXTREMLY similar to alot of the elements of ASOIAF actually. I honestly belive that if you guys enjoy ASOIAF, you'll love ' The Religion.' It's not fantasy per se, but its a historical fiction about the seige of Malta. Great depiction of life, even 'Grittier' than George, and great action scenes. Obviously, since its a historical fiction there is less wonder and imagination in the world building, but if you're looking for something to read that's similar to ASOIAF this summer, give ' The Religion' a shot.

Fans of Bernard Cornwell ( A little more serious) and George Martin should enjoy this.

I finished yesterday after reading far too much during working hours and have put together [url="http://nethspace.blogspot.com/2008/07/toll-hounds-by-steven-erikson-toll-v.html"]my review of [i]Toll the Hounds[/i][/url]. For me, this is the best one since MT and easily ranks as one of the best in the series.

I haven't decided what will be next, but probably [i]Lord Tophet [/i]by Gregory Frost.

Archived