Faction Preview: House Tully

Gampie

i was wondering that myself. i think it has been stated before, but i cant remember where, or the answer?

i wouldn't mind 4 turns=1 year....spring, summer, fall, and winter.
longer the better in my opinion. i dont want to loose all the book characters 25 turns into the game.

that would suck.

[quote]I also think that Brynden should be older. He fought at the War of the Ninepenny Kings, which happened around 256-257. Making him 54 at the timo of AGOT would imply that he was 9 years old at that time.[/quote]
Wait, I'm not getting this. AGOT begins in 298 AL. If Brynden is 54, he's born in 244 (which is a bit older than the value given in the Wikipedia article of Brynden). If the War of the Ninepenny Kings happened around 256-257, he was 11-12 years.

[quote]I wasn't saying that robb and dany, jon and the rest WERE 20, im just saying...once you get to 20 years old, your really considered an adult.
Ned was just under 40 and it seemed he was older. same things with theon, and alot of others. in todays world you grow up slower it seems. back in the day, like in westeros, you were made to grow up alot faster[/quote]
That's my impression too. Remember Barristan Selmy who jousted well in a tourney at the age of 10. Unbelievable in our medieval world, a kid of ten jousting against adults.

[quote]How much time will pass per turn? Unless it's only a couple months, Brynden would be dead of old age pretty fast. Which would suck.[/quote]
That's also one of my gripes. We can set the mod to 2 turns per year or 4 turns per year. Anything slower would take too long for children to grow up (e.g. Rickon).
The default old age in vanilla is roughly 62 years. So, Tywin starts the mod at the age of 54. That means you have 16 turns before he dies of old age. A bit lame, and that's why I set the old age at 75 for our beta. Anything higher would be ridiculous. Not everyone is a Walder Frey or Maester Aemon.
Thus, Tywin now has 42 turns (if he doesn't die in battle) and he's one of the oldest characters on the map (others are Brynden Tully, Leyton Hightower, Balon Greyjoy, Cortnay Penrose, ...). Loras Tyrell on the other hand has 116 turns, ample time to pull off some glorious feats. Jaime Lannister and Gregor Clegane have 86 turns.
If we set the timescale to 4 turns per year these values would double. Maybe it would be too long, I don't know.

Like Gampie said, anything more than four turns a year will completely drag down character aging. Nobody will grow up, or die of old age, and we can forget about family trees and new borns.

If you really like this kind of campaign though, it is possible to simulate the effect via script(check out the TWC Westeros forum for details)

I believe the when this mod was started first, the turns were meant to be month or a few weeks. Recruting was meant to be almost non-existent, and population growth the same. In my opinion, that was the best way to go. The war in the books is fought in only a few years, and it would be very stupid if war in game would last 50 years (which is very often in normal Total war, which is also very unrealistic). We shouldnt worry about family trees, and Rickon should be too young for the entire game, as he is in books. If the turns are 1 year, in the end everything will be completley different than in books (for instance Dorne could build the biggest army in westeros). Stating armies sholud be everything we have for te entire campaign, like in Rome: Alexander.

P.S. I dont want to say that mod isnt great, it is fantastic, but for me it would be so much better and accurate this way.

[quote name='Hurin' post='1440792' date='Jul 15 2008, 14.40']I believe the when this mod was started first, the turns were meant to be month or a few weeks. Recruting was meant to be almost non-existent, and population growth the same. In my opinion, that was the best way to go. The war in the books is fought in only a few years, and it would be very stupid if war in game would last 50 years (which is very often in normal Total war, which is also very unrealistic). We shouldnt worry about family trees, and Rickon should be too young for the entire game, as he is in books. If the turns are 1 year, in the end everything will be completley different than in books (for instance Dorne could build the biggest army in westeros). Stating armies sholud be everything we have for te entire campaign, like in Rome: Alexander.

P.S. I dont want to say that mod isnt great, it is fantastic, but for me it would be so much better and accurate this way.[/quote]

I disagree. For me, one of the alluring aspects of the total war series is the ability to rewrite history. So what if England never conquered Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Hungary, Denmark and the Balkans. I can (and have).

Same with this mod. If I play as Dorne I might want to ride to Casterly Rock and lay some revenge on Tywin Lannister. Or even better exterminate the population of Kingslanding. If I want to I can. So long as there is a degree of accuracy at the beginning of the game, how it ends is irrelevant.

A problem with making starting armies almost all that there is is that units have a tendency to die. If starting armies are most of what can be raised, then what happens when they die? Just make recruitment so that it takes time for units to replenish. That way, if a factions starting armies die, then they might have to sue for peace for a few years to rebuild before going back to war.

One turn per year and one turn per week are both extremes, and the current mod is aiming for something in middle I think. We won't have all the book characters dying by turn 50, but no they won't live forever. Recruitment rates, buildings and population growth are also much tuned down from the original, so players can't recruit all-knight armies or blitz across Westeros. But we won't be giving each faction one stack and tell them that's it. Neither the player nor the AI will have an enjoyable campaign with that kind of restriction.

And like I said earlier, if some folks like it hardcore, it's fairly easy to mod by yourself. I might consider writing up a little customizing tutorial if there's enough demand after release.

[quote name='Gampie' post='1437426' date='Jul 12 2008, 13.11']Wait, I'm not getting this. AGOT begins in 298 AL. If Brynden is 54, he's born in 244 (which is a bit older than the value given in the Wikipedia article of Brynden). If the War of the Ninepenny Kings happened around 256-257, he was 11-12 years.[/quote]
You are right. However, at 12 he'd be an squire at best. Jaime states that "Hoster’s famous brother had won renown fighting the Ninepenny Kings upon the Stepstones". I would expect that in order to gain renown in a war you have to be a man grown, at least fourteen years old. And perhaps older.

[quote name='The hairy bear' post='1442690' date='Jul 16 2008, 10.36']You are right. However, at 12 he'd be an squire at best. Jaime states that "Hoster’s famous brother had won renown fighting the Ninepenny Kings upon the Stepstones". I would expect that in order to gain renown in a war you have to be a man grown, at least fourteen years old. And perhaps older.[/quote]

He is 5 years younger than Hoster. It is in AGoT. So I dont have my books, but Hoster was at least in his early to mid 60's. So when ever you find out how old Hoster is, the Blackfish is 5 years younger than that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived