I have a crush on Gregor Clegane

RustPromoter

Am I alone in absolutely loving Gregor “The Mountain” Clegane? I just think the extreme monstrousness of the character is somewhat awe-inspiring. The fact that Martin has crafted such a brutal, terrifying character, whose sole purpose in life seems to be absolute destruction and murder, just seems very modern to me. The way other characters refer to him in awed, almost mythical tones reminds me of The Judge from Cormac McCarthy’s Blood Meridian novel, or even Anton Shigurh from No Country for Old Men. We hear about the atrocities he commits like he is some kind of unstoppable force of violence, almost as though his actions are like a cataclysmic natural disaster. What do you guys think, any fans of The Mountain out there besides me? Let’s show this big teddy bear the love he deserves. I mean, come on, he raped a woman with baby-brains still on his hands.

I think he is a unique character of any novel I have read since he could only exist in that the westrosi society. Even in medeval europe he would of been put down as an animal since thats what he really is, an animal made human which allows for that fascinating aspect of his character.

I love to hate him... and I do so loathe him. No death is too horrible for this bastard. I want him to be resurrected just so that he can be killed again.

I'm not so sure that he would have been put down in a real Medieval setting, given his usefulness to whoever's holding his reins. Speaking of which, what I find personally fascinating about Gregor is that he can be controlled at all. Varys riddle about the sellsword comes to mind; how and why did Gregor swear allegiance to the Lannisters? Given his appalling track with honour, why does he 'honour' the concepts of duty and loyalty inherited from his father?

I am curious also about what a man liked Gregor gets up to in peacetime. It's been a long time since Greyjoy's rebellion, so what's he been doing with himself in that time?

[quote name='redxavier' post='1433300' date='Jul 9 2008, 11.29']I am curious also about what a man liked Gregor gets up to in peacetime. It's been a long time since Greyjoy's rebellion, so what's he been doing with himself in that time?[/quote]

He's having fun with his wives and servants.

[quote name='anguy' post='1433436' date='Jul 9 2008, 13.42']He's having fun with his wives and servants.[/quote]

More specifically, having fun torturing/killing them. That goes for the dogs too. Plus there's been some tourneys and whatnot. But, agreed, what does he do with his time? Go out and kill random smallfolk? Personally, I think he does a little sellsword work for the Free Cities on the side.

[quote name='Drogo' post='1433164' date='Jul 9 2008, 08.06']Even in medeval europe he would of been put down as an animal[/quote]

you don't need me to drag out all the times in history when this very sort of person has been lauded and rewarded, do you? It's not "normal," but it is also not unheard of. Rape and murder and general brutatlity are human hallmarks. Clegane is just the biggest brute on the block.

[quote name='Burr' post='1433604' date='Jul 9 2008, 15.12']you don't need me to drag out all the times in history when this very sort of person has been lauded and rewarded, do you? It's not "normal," but it is also not unheard of. Rape and murder and general brutatlity are human hallmarks. Clegane is just the biggest brute on the block.[/quote]

Yeah, just look at some of the Roman Emperors. At least Gregor doesn't eat fetuses.

I tell my male friends, of the ultra-masculine type (which most of my close friends are), of Gregor Clegane when I'm trying to convince them this is hard, gritty, alt history type story-telling, not ridiculous fantasy bullshit. Particularly the story of the inn. I don't find the character especially hard to believe, even when he's such a straw-man consisting of not straw but pure evil, whom we are meant to hate. But he is not unstoppable. Jaime believes he could have beaten him, and Sandor at least thinks he could give him a fair fight. Oberyn nearly killed him. In fact, I'd like to see him tortured before he was killed. He deserves it. A great character. Though your crush will have to remain your own. I ain't turning prison gay for big old G C. I'd rather sell myself to Sandor for a pack of ciggies and have him protect me.

Edit: the eating foetuses thing might have been a dramatisation. Robert Graves was not always entirely accurate... Though it made for the second best TV series I've ever seen (behind Carnivale).

Good thread. Gregor is a funny guy, and deserves some props. That innkeeper story was great...that guy really should have picked up on the whole "Don't Bug Gregor" vibe.

The Lannisters are so much fun. I have no idea why anyone would cheer on the boring Starks.

[quote name='Burr' post='1433604' date='Jul 9 2008, 14.12']you don't need me to drag out all the times in history when this very sort of person has been lauded and rewarded, do you? It's not "normal," but it is also not unheard of. Rape and murder and general brutatlity are human hallmarks. Clegane is just the biggest brute on the block.[/quote]
:agree:

Even Martin hasn't topped some things that we [i]have some evidence[/i] happened in our own sordid history. Just off the top of my head here are a couple of quick examples from the Vikings. Is everyone familiar with the "Blood Eagle" that some Vikings were so fond of performing? Does everyone know where the Scandanavian toast "Skoal" comes from (hint: it's not from spit tobacco ;) )? Oh, the list goes on and on... :sick:

[quote name='Prince of the North' post='1435470' date='Jul 10 2008, 14.52']:agree:

Even Martin hasn't topped some things that we [i]have some evidence[/i] happened in our own sordid history. Just off the top of my head here are a couple of quick examples from the Vikings. Is everyone familiar with the "Blood Eagle" that some Vikings were so fond of performing? Does everyone know where the Scandanavian toast "Skoal" comes from (hint: it's not from spit tobacco ;) )? Oh, the list goes on and on... :sick:[/quote]

ok what is the blood eagle and the toast skoal ? I would like a detailed description please...

Archived