I have a crush on Gregor Clegane

RustPromoter

[quote name='Drogo' post='1433164' date='Jul 9 2008, 10.06']I think he is a unique character of any novel I have read since he could only exist in that the westrosi society. Even in medeval europe he would of been put down as an animal since thats what he really is, an animal made human which allows for that fascinating aspect of his character.[/quote]
I don't know any animals who murder babies in front of their mothers, then rape and kill the mother. Animal definition aside, I agree with you there.

I think Gregor Clegane doesn't get much love for 2 reasons:

1. He doesn't want it.
2. He's mean to everyone and doesn't value life of any kind, except maybe his own.

[quote name='Neurosis' post='1433675' date='Jul 9 2008, 14.55']In fact, I'd like to see him tortured before he was killed.[/quote]
He was tortured. He was screaming in pain all throughout AFFC.

Gregor is definitely not unstoppable. I could make a pretty long list of people who can beat him. And Sandor could definitely beat him; he fought him during the tourney, making no aggressive attacks, and he held his own just fine. I think he is close to as strong as Gregor (on the same order of magnitude anyway), but he got that from practice, not genetics.

[quote name='Neurosis' post='1433675' date='Jul 9 2008, 14.55']I tell my male friends, of the ultra-masculine type (which most of my close friends are), of Gregor Clegane when I'm trying to convince them this is hard, gritty, alt history type story-telling, not ridiculous fantasy bullshit. Particularly the story of the inn. I don't find the character especially hard to believe, even when he's such a straw-man consisting of not straw but pure evil, whom we are meant to hate. But he is not unstoppable. Jaime believes he could have beaten him, and Sandor at least thinks he could give him a fair fight. Oberyn nearly killed him. In fact, I'd like to see him tortured before he was killed. He deserves it. A great character. Though your crush will have to remain your own. I ain't turning prison gay for big old G C. I'd rather sell myself to Sandor for a pack of ciggies and have him protect me.

Edit: the eating foetuses thing might have been a dramatisation. Robert Graves was not always entirely accurate... Though it made for the second best TV series I've ever seen (behind Carnivale).[/quote]

Umm dunno if you read ASOS and AFFC or not but the red Viper DID kill Gregor, and Gregor WAS tortured and in the most hideous pain imaginable. The Viper got his revenge; he killed Gregor and started a chain of events which led to Tywin biting it as well. :)

As for baby fetuses, they are sold in China on the open market and many people there eat them. (they aer dead though, not live)

[quote name='ogbebaba' post='1435874' date='Jul 10 2008, 19.56']ok what is the blood eagle and the toast skoal ? I would like a detailed description please...[/quote]
Well, there is [i]some[/i] disagreement that the "Blood Eagle" truly happened but it seems to be pretty well-established in old scandanavian skaldic verse. Anyway, it was the practice of splitting a foe's ribs away from their spine and pulling the lungs outside the body. The lungs would flutter with the victim's dying breaths - thus, looking like a pair of bloody wings. Nice, huh?!

Here's what wiki has to say of the etymology of the word "skoal":

Of Nordic extraction from the ancient custom of drinking from the skulls of defeated enemies and toasting friends. From skal which is related to the english word skull.

Once again, nice, huh?! Those Viking marauders really seemed to know how to have a good time :P

[quote name='Andhaira' post='1436109' date='Jul 11 2008, 16.25']Umm dunno if you read ASOS and AFFC or not but the red Viper DID kill Gregor, and Gregor WAS tortured and in the most hideous pain imaginable. The Viper got his revenge; he killed Gregor and started a chain of events which led to Tywin biting it as well. :)

As for baby fetuses, they are sold in China on the open market and many people there eat them. (they aer dead though, not live)[/quote]

I very, very, very much doubt Gregor is dead. I also like the idea that the skull Cersei sent was that of one of the dwarves from the Wedding.

[quote name='MTGAP' post='1435913' date='Jul 11 2008, 03.07']Gregor is definitely not unstoppable. I could make a pretty long list of people who can beat him.[/quote]

Really? I think the problem that everyone has against Gregor is that his sword has a long reach, he's surprisingly fast and his armour is very thick. You mention Sandor and I agree that he has a chance and obviously the Red Viper coped fine in a duel setting but I think that anyone meeting him on a battlefield wouldn't stand much of a chance. What others did you have in mind?

[quote name='Drogo' post='1433164' date='Jul 9 2008, 09.06']I think he is a unique character of any novel I have read since he could only exist in that the westrosi society. Even in medeval europe he would of been put down as an animal since thats what he really is, an animal made human which allows for that fascinating aspect of his character.[/quote]

This of course is the same Europe where Cardinal Robert of Geneva AKA "Butcher of Cesena" became Pope Clement VII. :lol: :stunned:

[quote name='Prince of the North' post='1436423' date='Jul 11 2008, 10.25']Well, there is [i]some[/i] disagreement that the "Blood Eagle" truly happened but it seems to be pretty well-established in old scandanavian skaldic verse. Anyway, it was the practice of splitting a foe's ribs away from their spine and pulling the lungs outside the body. The lungs would flutter with the victim's dying breaths - thus, looking like a pair of bloody wings. Nice, huh?!

Here's what wiki has to say of the etymology of the word "skoal":

Of Nordic extraction from the ancient custom of drinking from the skulls of defeated enemies and toasting friends. From skal which is related to the english word skull.

Once again, nice, huh?! Those Viking marauders really seemed to know how to have a good time :P[/quote]

yeah real nice i like it. thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

[quote name='RWHamel' post='1437742' date='Jul 12 2008, 17.13']This of course is the same Europe where Cardinal Robert of Geneva AKA "Butcher of Cesena" became Pope Clement VII. :lol: :stunned:[/quote]

you know i hear of interesting stories like that all the time, but i can't seem to find a history book thats written well enough for me to enjoy. could you recommend some to me please? something with some gory dark twisted stuff preferably :drool:

[quote name='MTGAP' post='1435913' date='Jul 10 2008, 22.07']He was tortured. He was screaming in pain all throughout AFFC.

Gregor is definitely not unstoppable. I could make a pretty long list of people who can beat him. And Sandor could definitely beat him; he fought him during the tourney, making no aggressive attacks, and he held his own just fine. I think he is close to as strong as Gregor (on the same order of magnitude anyway), but he got that from practice, not genetics.[/quote]

Not genetics?? lol Sandor is 6'6" tall AND GREGOR'S blood brother.

[quote]You mention Sandor and I agree that he has a chance and obviously the Red Viper coped fine in a duel setting but I think that anyone meeting him on a battlefield wouldn't stand much of a chance. What others did you have in mind?[/quote]

I think there are too many good fighters to name here. Like you say though, on a battlefield there was no stopping him. He was probably a scary site especially on some massive mount. Think of someone 7'7" in huge armor with a large two handed sword being wielding in one hand. Riding on top of the largest warhorse to be found to be able to bare his weight. Coming upon him in the midst of a fight would be suicide. Although they stopped him repeatedly outside of Riverrun I think. That was because he had to cross a river though.
Now in a one on one setting where the opponent can think over his combat tactics and strat as well as choose better suited equipment, most of our heroes would best him.
Selmy, Kingslayer, Hound, Sam the Slayer, Hodor.
lol
Can anyone else envision Strong Belwas defecating on a slain mountain?

[quote name='Vindor Clegane' post='1437882' date='Jul 12 2008, 23.10']Selmy, Kingslayer, Hound, Sam the Slayer, Hodor.
lol
Can anyone else envision Strong Belwas defecating on a slain mountain?[/quote]

I can't see Strong Belwas winning for the simple fact of his stupid ideals. Look at me I let ever opponent scratch me before killing him. Screw that the Viper made the mistake of getting to close to the Mountain. That scratch would turn into sword size bellybutton.

Belwas is good, but not that good. As for the Mountain, he isn't so much a man as he is a force. Personally I don't think Jaime could take him, or many of the Kingsguard. On the battlefield the Hound might be able to, and he certainly could in a one-on-one duel. Personally I think the character with the best chance of beating Gregor is Anguy.

[quote name='Ouroboros' post='1437890' date='Jul 13 2008, 12.14']Belwas is good, but not that good. As for the Mountain, he isn't so much a man as he is a force. Personally I don't think Jaime could take him, or many of the Kingsguard. On the battlefield the Hound might be able to, and he certainly could in a one-on-one duel. Personally I think the character with the best chance of beating Gregor is Anguy.[/quote]

Arrows don't penetrate armour as well as might be believed. It's got to be a perfect shot to punch through, i.e. the arrowhead cannot be at any angle to the armour. Not that this matters if you have a mass of arrows raining on advancing knights ala Agincourt/Crecy - which were also won by knights charging onto sharpened stakes, which is pretty hilarious.

I'd also have to say I believe the Hound or Jaime in his prime could beat Gregor, since never is it stated that Gregor is paritcularly skillful, and despite his massive size I still feel a more skillful, faster opponent could beat him... Though Jaime and Sandor are more traditional fighters than Oberyn was (WHY DID YOU HAVE TO KILL HIM GEORGE, WHY DO YOU HATE US SO?).

• 3 years later...

The Mountain is the typical comic book villain. Please correct me if I have missed something that qualifies him as a complex and/or unique character in literature, but I just don't see it. While Sandor possesses some redeeming qualities that make him seem realistic, Gregor is strictly one-dimensional. Martin didn't try so hard with that one.

For the record, skål also means 'bowl (i live in a scandinavian country and speak a scandinavian language)'...it may or may not have a connection to the english word skull (probably does, as the word skål also means shell or peel (in reference to an egg shell or the peel of an orange), but the vikings were not the first nor the last peoples to drink toasts from the skulls of their enemies. Many cultures have done this, worldwide. Brutality is a part of human nature.

Archived