NFL offseason II

DanteGabriel

Previous topic's at 20 pages, so I figured I'd start a new one.

Latest step in the Favre-o-rama: Chris Mortensen at ESPN is reporting that Favre formally requested the Packers release him.

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3483521"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3483521[/url]

Wowsers. Didn't think it would come to this. Where will Favre end up? Minnesota and Chicago are no-brainers to pursue him. I saw a report that the Ravens were interested too.

[quote name='DanteGabriel' post='1436919' date='Jul 11 2008, 16.23']Previous topic's at 20 pages, so I figured I'd start a new one.

Latest step in the Favre-o-rama: Chris Mortensen at ESPN is reporting that Favre formally requested the Packers release him.

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3483521"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3483521[/url]

Wowsers. Didn't think it would come to this. Where will Favre end up? Minnesota and Chicago are no-brainers to pursue him. I saw a report that the Ravens were interested too.[/quote]

I've heard Tampa is interested too.

I'm happy Favre is leaving TB. I hope he ends up in Minnesota.

[b][size=5]FUCK THE PATS!!![/size] [/b]

Ok, now that that's out of the way...Im stoked. Al Davis is actually considering stepping down from the GM type role of the Raiders and allowing someone to come in and make player personnel decisions.

Though with our luck...he'll pick Art Shell and we'd be fucked all over again.

YW

[quote name='Mexal' post='1436926' date='Jul 11 2008, 16.28']I've heard Tampa is interested too.[/quote]
Ahhh, hearing Tampa come up in this conversation makes me nostalgic for those pre-Favre "Bay of Pigs" games between GB and TB...

[quote name='Young Wolf' post='1436928' date='Jul 11 2008, 16.28'][b][size=5]FUCK THE PATS!!![/size] [/b]

Ok, now that that's out of the way...Im stoked. Al Davis is actually considering stepping down from the GM type role of the Raiders and allowing someone to come in and make player personnel decisions.

Though with our luck...he'll pick Art Shell and we'd be fucked all over again.

YW[/quote]

I wish Mike Brown would do this :(

[quote name='DanteGabriel' post='1436919' date='Jul 11 2008, 15.23']Previous topic's at 20 pages, so I figured I'd start a new one.

Wowsers. Didn't think it would come to this. Where will Favre end up? Minnesota and [b]Chicago[/b] are no-brainers to pursue him. I saw a report that the Ravens were interested too.[/quote]
Ahahahaha. That would be awesome. Even better than Jimmy Ballgame turning his coat to play with the Cubs. I agree with Mexal, though, that he should go to Minnesota. They would be scary good with a real quarterback.

[quote name='Bormon' post='1436933' date='Jul 11 2008, 16.31']considering Favre's traditionally poor play in Minnesota, you would think he would stay away from there.[/quote]

Might be hard to do with a team that talented. Give them Favre and that team becomes a serious Super Bowl contender.

They still wouldn't have any receivers for him to throw to. Same with Chicago.

And as a Bears fan, I would hate, loathe, and utterly despise it if somehow Chicago got Favre. HATE. Minnesota I could deal with though. At least we'd get to make him look stupid twice a year.

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1436944' date='Jul 11 2008, 16.34']They still wouldn't have any receivers for him to throw to. Same with Chicago.

And as a Bears fan, I would hate, loathe, and utterly despise it if somehow Chicago got Favre. HATE. Minnesota I could deal with though. At least we'd get to make him look stupid twice a year.[/quote]

Minnesota has Berrian and Rice. That would be enough given their great offensive line and great running game.

[quote name='Mexal' post='1436950' date='Jul 11 2008, 16.37']Minnesota has Berrian and Rice. That would be enough given their great offensive line and great running game.[/quote]

They would still be a step behind Dallas.

(Did I just say that? ...... I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth :sick:)

[quote name='Bormon' post='1436952' date='Jul 11 2008, 16.40']They would still be a step behind Dallas.

(Did I just say that? ...... I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth :sick:)[/quote]

I could agree with that. Dallas does have a solid team all around.

However, with the addition of Jared Allen and possibly Favre, it'll be very hard to ignore Minnesota. Even without Favre, if Jackson doesn't make too many mistakes, they're still a playoff team.

Berrian isn't a threat without someone decent, and Rice hasn't shown to be decent at all. Berrian would go happily with that whole 'slingin and slangin' mentality, but that's it. He completely disappears when not being thrown a long route.

I'm just saying that putting Favre in Minnesota is only half the piece for them; they still won't have much of a passing threat because their receivers aren't that good. Not that Minnesota wouldn't compete anyway - they've got a good running game and a stellar defense.

[quote name='Mexal' post='1436956' date='Jul 11 2008, 16.42']I could agree with that. Dallas does have a solid team all around.

However, with the addition of Jared Allen and possibly Favre, it'll be very hard to ignore Minnesota. Even without Favre, if Jackson doesn't make too many mistakes, they're still a playoff team.[/quote]

If a productive Favre was in Minn. they would instantly become one of the upper tier teams. #2 or #3 in the NFC.

Does no one remember how many crucial passes Berrian dropped last year? Trust me, he ain't that good. Personally, I was glad to see his ass go. Now if only the Bears are smart enough to not try to use Hester as their "go deep" guy. There's nothing wrong with it, but when its one of your only plays, and you run it every possesion, well... just not gonna work.

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1436963' date='Jul 11 2008, 16.47']Berrian isn't a threat without someone decent, and Rice hasn't shown to be decent at all. Berrian would go happily with that whole 'slingin and slangin' mentality, but that's it. He completely disappears when not being thrown a long route.[/quote]

He does disappear sometimes but he also had Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton throwing to them. There was no threat of a running game from Ced Benson or Adrian Peterson. He didn't have anyone on the other side either while he was in Chicago so...

I don't know what Rice will do. It's not like he had a good QB throwing to him, nor did he have anyone that is as good as Berrian on the opposite sides. The biggest problem with Berrian is he can have stone hands.

There are a lot of unknowns there, but I do think Favre makes that team much much stronger. Or better yet, they'd be much more consistent.

[quote name='Mexal' post='1436974' date='Jul 11 2008, 15.52']He does disappear sometimes but he also had Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton throwing to them. There was no threat of a running game from Ced Benson or Adrian Peterson. He didn't have anyone on the other side either while he was in Chicago so...

I don't know what Rice will do. It's not like he had a good QB throwing to him, nor did he have anyone that is as good as Berrian on the opposite sides. The biggest problem with Berrian is he can have stone hands.

There are a lot of unknowns there, but I do think Favre makes that team much much stronger. Or better yet, they'd be much more consistent.[/quote]

I just can't agree with this. The receiving corps is too questionable. They'd have to rely on Favre reverting to the full-on gunslinging mode that led to all those turnovers the last couple of years(obviously, last year not included). Defenses could stack the box like they did near the end of last season, when their running production went way down. Just don't see it.

Also, I hate the Vikings.

[quote name='Quijote Light' post='1436985' date='Jul 11 2008, 16.57']I just can't agree with this. The receiving corps is too questionable. They'd have to rely on Favre reverting to the full-on gunslinging mode that led to all those turnovers the last couple of years(obviously, last year not included). Defenses could stack the box like they did near the end of last season, when their running production went way down. Just don't see it.

Also, I hate the Vikings.[/quote]

I never said they weren't questionable.

But questionable WRs with a Hall of Fame QB is better than questionable WRs with a 2nd or 3rd year unproven QB.

Archived