NFL offseason II

DanteGabriel

[quote]I'm in hell, this is agonizing. So Favre is being a totally arrogant prima donna dickhead, so what? He's still a better QB than Rodgers. The time for a Super Bowl run is now, not later. END OF STORY.[/quote]

Not really. The Packers are actually a very young team. They will have chances. If not this year, than maybe next, or even the year after. While I do agree that EVERY year a team should be trying to win, the packers are not exactly a ticking time bomb… unlike some AFC Champions with aging LB cores and a depleted secondary that I know.

[quote]Theres no way favre is willing to come back as anything but starting qb. The waffling continues. Can Packer management be this stupid? Will they actually trade him within the division?![/quote]

Favre basically is upping the ante. He wants to be released after he faught tooth and nail to get to camp. It seems that the more you give Brett, the more he changes his mind. He seems to be making a lot of bad decisions under pressure. Hell, you’d think he was the all-time leading INT leader or something…

… yeah, totally that was a cheap shot. Guilty. I really, really hope he would just go away.

[quote name='Rockroi' post='1469499' date='Aug 5 2008, 16.51']Not really. The Packers are actually a very young team. They will have chances. If not this year, than maybe next, or even the year after. While I do agree that EVERY year a team should be trying to win, the packers are not exactly a ticking time bomb… unlike some AFC Champions with aging LB cores and a depleted secondary that I know.

Favre basically is upping the ante. He wants to be released after he faught tooth and nail to get to camp. It seems that the more you give Brett, the more he changes his mind. He seems to be making a lot of bad decisions under pressure. Hell, you’d think he was the all-time leading INT leader or something…

… yeah, totally that was a cheap shot. Guilty. I really, really hope he would just go away.[/quote]

He didn't fight tooth and nail to get to camp. He applied for reinstatement and Goodell accepted. That means Favre has to go to camp or he gets fined. He went to camp, and McCarthy rightfully told him, "I don't care how much of an idiot Thompson is, please stay away until they trade you to the Vikings or you are cut." Brett said OK. He now gets paid 8 million dollars to sleep in a Wisconsin hotel with his wife until the Packers give in, which they will.

While he is a wishy washy hypocrite, he sure is playing the Packers Brass like a fiddle.

[quote name='Rockroi' post='1469499' date='Aug 5 2008, 16.51']Favre basically is upping the ante. He wants to be released after he faught tooth and nail to get to camp. It seems that the more you give Brett, the more he changes his mind.[/quote]

Because he's not being given a chance to compete.

Hate to say it, Rock, but your talking points are Rush Limbaughesque in their one sidedness. You're the only guy in America who thinks only side deserves blame in this.

[quote]Hate to say it, Rock, but your talking points are Rush Limbaughesque in their one sidedness. You're the only guy in America who thinks only side deserves blame in this.[/quote]

No. I have stated that I know what the Pack did wrong and why they look like idiots. I can appreciate that. I have only asked what the pack could have done differently. And the answers I get seem to be "Don't like Aaron Rodgers so much." Well, sorry they seem to like this idea called "the future of their team." I do know the Pack have fouled up, but that is mostly because their superstar QB only wants to be the starter for the Minn. Vikings. He will not accept trades to TB or the Jets. Why id that wrong of the Packers? I don't understand that.

Should the Pack make him their starter? I specifically remember stating that I thought they had to. So, I guess by definition, I think they are screwing up by not making Favre the starter (and by definition, at least let him "compete"). But I guess that still makes me Rush Limbaughesque (when do I get my own adjective?).

However, I keep thinking this: Favre wanted to be released for a while now, even though the Packers told him they would not do that (and its sensible why they are not). But he still wants to be released. No trade to another team; a trade, it appears, to a specific team. Thus, other than saying, "Sure, Brett, you ol son'of'a'gun come on back! We kept your room just the way you left it. And Aaron, go back to being #2! Sorry, but ol' Brett here can do whatever he wants, whenever he wants! That's the way we lioke it here in Green Bay!" I think the Pack had to make a tough call and, unlike Brett, they have to consider the whole team for the next several years. And they made a sound decision based on that.

Brett didn't like it so he is doing everything he can to get what he wants. My 2 year old is much the same way.

Now, thank-you for compairing me to Rush. Just saying, that's not exactly productive. Then again, Rush is another well known individula addicted to pain killers, so its kind of apt.

[quote name='Rockroi' post='1469566' date='Aug 5 2008, 17.39']No. I have stated that I know what the Pack did wrong and why they look like idiots. I can appreciate that. I have only asked what the pack could have done differently. And the answers I get seem to be "Don't like Aaron Rodgers so much." Well, sorry they seem to like this idea called "the future of their team." I do know the Pack have fouled up, but that is mostly because their superstar QB only wants to be the starter for the Minn. Vikings. He will not accept trades to TB or the Jets. Why id that wrong of the Packers? I don't understand that.[/quote]

Fair enough. Could be I missed you saying that. Really this whole post, I agreed with everything you said, where I definitely didn't before.

Actually PFT is reporting that he might now be warming to the idea of going to [url="http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/"]Tampa[/url]. If this happens, I give him 'til November before he's staring at Packer team photos longing for the days of Donald Driver, Greg Jennings and that sexy offensive line.

[quote]Now, thank-you for compairing me to Rush. Just saying, that's not exactly productive. Then again, Rush is another well known individula addicted to pain killers, so its kind of apt.[/quote]

Only cause I knew that comparison would drive y'nuts. :P

Good comeback though.

What the Pack could've done differently is how they handled the media side. Every single day it appears we get a different message from the front office, and every day that message ends up being translated to "fuck you, fans". Regardless of what actions they've taken (and I agree - there's not a whole lot different they can do) the perceptions of their actions basically amount to bumbling idiots, while Favre is the one that almost appears reasonable.

That's epic fail, right there.

It's a horrible situation for the Pack. If they get Favre back and have him compete, they're screwing with team chemistry, showing everyone that they can be bossed around by a Special Player, and in general sacrificing long term gains for short term profits. If they don't bring him back the fans hate them. If they bring him back and bench him, fans hate them and they're getting nothing. If they trade him per his wishes he goes to their rivals who basically only need a QB to be one of the best teams in the NFL.

So the best option is to...what? Probably the best decision would've been to say 'sorry Rodgers, you're gonna suck pine one more year'. That would suck for him, but it likely would've been a better option than all the shit that's flown around. Now? They're hosed.

[quote name='Jacen' post='1469597' date='Aug 5 2008, 17.56']the situation: it's just a plain 'ol cluster-fuck.[/quote]

Basically.

Think Packer nation at this point just has to take solace in the silver lining that Favre coming out of retirement should net a nice draft pick they wouldn't have had had he stayed in Mississippi. But yeah, Favre in pewter or purple would look strange as fuck.

[quote name='Space Bandito' post='1466795' date='Aug 3 2008, 08.14']As a certain Harvey Dent says. . . You make your own luck. I feel bad he has had a shitty year, but so have a lot of people.

According to HBO [url="http://www.hbo.com/hardknocks/?ntrack_para1=insidehbo1_text"]Hard Knocks[/url] with the Cowboys starts this Wednesday. As I have canceled my HBO I will have to download that. I have a feeling it will be worth it.[/quote]

But can we really start relating the philosophy of the Dark Knight to every day life?

What's more important than Favre? Brandon Marshall has been suspended for the first two games of the season! This is an outrage.

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1469182' date='Aug 5 2008, 13.56']It's just because he doesn't want other teams to steal his signals.[/quote]

Well that is why they went to the headsets, but hey Belicheck already knows every possible way to steal (legally or illegally) steal hand signals and likely knows the ways to thwart them. So why switch? Seriously, it was a change to stop the Patriots, so why do 'they' need to use it?

Archived