Question for UK Boarders

Stubby

I just wish you both like it this time Ser S! Hopefully you'll fit in some touristy stuff around meeting every branch of the BwB in these isles. ;) But if you are free one of the days you are here, we should be able to rustle up something.

And at least you have a team in the football WC...Ireland are in the doldrums in every sport! Can't even win the compromise rules games against you lot. :P

I would like to come to a London meet and give Ser Stubby and family a nice London welcome. Just not sure how many people would turn up and where we would actually meet. So, if a London meet up were to take place who would be in the general vicinity to take part? Not just Londoners like Sean and Barry. I'm in Surrey yet its not much trouble for me to get into London.

I'm still up for it, although I'll be in Spain to see my Mum in May but that's probably not until later in the month. I'm in Colchester, Essex, which is a 45 minute train ride from London Liverpool Street. If we're planning a meet-up during the day I can manage a Thursday or Sunday no problem. If I get a month or more's notice of the day, I can probably arrange any other day off as well. Evenings are more problematic as the last train home is about 11.30pm on Saturday and 12.30 during the week. Money may also limit any major excursions into Central London (still recovering from the shock of the bar bill the last time I went out in London and that was about 3.5 years ago!).

I live in London, and would definitely try to show up for any gathering (work permitting).

BTW, any other people on here doing an O. U. course? I'm about to embark on my 5th, "Exploring the Classical World", partly inspired by the "Rome" TV series (and yes I know they took some liberties with history...)

Cheers

I'm still up for it, although I'll be in Spain to see my Mum in May but that's probably not until later in the month. I'm in Colchester, Essex, which is a 45 minute train ride from London Liverpool Street. If we're planning a meet-up during the day I can manage a Thursday or Sunday no problem. If I get a month or more's notice of the day, I can probably arrange any other day off as well. Evenings are more problematic as the last train home is about 11.30pm on Saturday and 12.30 during the week. Money may also limit any major excursions into Central London (still recovering from the shock of the bar bill the last time I went out in London and that was about 3.5 years ago!).

I have never understood why the trains on Saturday stop earlier than trains on Sundays. :unsure: As far as money goes, so long as you avoid poncey bars the prices aren't so bad. Stick to the grungy pubs! If it was actually sunny it might be worth going somewhere like the Thameside Inn which is right on the south bank, close to the Globe. It has the advantage of being right next to the Golden Hind (not sure if it is the real thing - never bothered to find out), which I think was Drake's ship? Ooops, bit vague on England's naval history - don't blame me, they don't teach that in schools anymore. :rolleyes:

My calendar says that May 1st is a Monday. Erm, wait, that's a bank holiday isn't it? That will screw up trains a bit more than usual as well as making London busier than normal if the weather is good.

I'll have my finals at the end of May but I'm already past caring about that. Count me in.

I have never understood why the trains on Saturday stop earlier than trains on Sundays. :unsure: As far as money goes, so long as you avoid poncey bars the prices aren't so bad. Stick to the grungy pubs! If it was actually sunny it might be worth going somewhere like the Thameside Inn which is right on the south bank, close to the Globe. It has the advantage of being right next to the Golden Hind (not sure if it is the real thing - never bothered to find out), which I think was Drake's ship? Ooops, bit vague on England's naval history - don't blame me, they don't teach that in schools anymore. :rolleyes:

Yes, it was Drake's ship. The one in Southwark is a replica.

My calendar says that May 1st is a Monday. Erm, wait, that's a bank holiday isn't it? That will screw up trains a bit more than usual as well as making London busier than normal if the weather is good.

If it is a bank holiday then that would suit me as I wouldn't have to go to work that day. Of course, it will be busy in London on a bank holiday, but it isn't as if London is ever not busy.

(groan) If it is a Bank Holiday than train travel may just be next to impossible. Sunday service at best, unless they decide to rip up the track for repairs which is what happens a lot on our line on Bank Holidays. But yeah, if I can sort out travel, that's not a problem for me.

I love it when a plan comes together.

• 3 weeks later...
Stubby, are you going to be around for the big meet in London 5th - 8th May?

If not then we should still definitely meet on the 1st.

It might be an easier introduction for the BwB virgins than facing the full awe of Pod straight off.

Probably not Barry. We look like leaving London the day before at the latest.

When is the Ser Stubby Scotland meet planned for? If I can't make London then that could be a more manageable gathering for me...

tenalpia, that meet will be later in the month - 26 27 or 28 May

• 2 months later...

Hey all, it is your resident rotund Aussie with an itinerary report.

We are out of here this coming Saturday!

I will get on and post as soon as we arrive.

Cheers,

Stubby

Archived