Question for UK Boarders

Stubby

OK - first opportunity to make a detailed post over the last week or so.

Firstly - thanks heaps to Mormont for the bed, the patient and informative guided tour of St Andrews and his indulgent visit to the Old Course to satisfy my pilgrimage :) .

Secondly - thanks to Ten for the company, wit and photographs (which we had no idea were being taken - sneaky!).

Thirdly - thanks to BtB for amusing Mrs Stubby with Dennis Leary quotes, ice cream making instructions and movie / beer recommendations. :drunk: and of course, the suggestion of heading to Whitby (nerp heaven and Mrs Stubby got to pat some horsies).

To the Edinburgh crew - we're really sorry we couldn't make it for a meet with you guys, everyone has said that we missed out on some real fun :( .

Otherwise, we've really enjoyed our trip so far. We are in fact in York at the moment and will be heading to Nottingham tomorrow. We have one night there and then it's off to London for our last night in the country :cry: :cry: :cry: . It is slightly possible that we may have some time for a quick pint on our last night, but we will not be able to travel into the city from our Heathrow hotel. If anyone's keen, shoot me a PM and we'll see what we can do.

Sweet mate, hope that York is good to you both :cheers: - a great wee city with LOADS of stunning history!

Safe travelling on your way home.

There was a couple of blokes at the Whitby show who said they knew you and were missing the opportunity to hit you with steel!

Can you remember their names or faces? :lol:

One guy was a portly chap with shoulder length sandy hair and a goatee (not as long as mine) His mail shirt had a chin guard, lined in an orangey fabric. Most of the time it was hanging down his chest. His scabbard was inside his mail shirt. Any help? Can't remember the other guy.

hmmm, think I know who that is... was he knocking seven shades of Sh#t out of everyone in sight?

Pretty much! He came about 4th in the "without honour" melee. The bloke that won that was fighting with a spear and beat everyone else. He also rode in the equine display (Mrs Stubby's favourite bit - she now wants to train some horses for battle recreations - you created a monster)

If you're in Nottingham, go for a drink or two at the Olde Trip to Jerusalem, just down the road from the castle. Oldest pub in the country, and it has foreign banknotes taped to the ceiling.

I have a vague memory of Ser Stubby asking where the name 'Perth' derived from... if I have made up this conversation in my head then I apologise and blame it on 'brain fog' :blush: My book on place names says that it derives from the Pictish for "Place by a thicket" - not very exciting but you could have been living in St Johnstoun which was also an early name for the town and that results from the dedication of the church to St John the Baptist. Just a bit of useless information to greet you on your return to the Aussie Perth. Hope you had a good trip home and that your moat is waiting for you :D

The big adventure is over and we are home safe and knackered. :cry:

Thanks to everyone who made us feel so welcome and indulged our inane requests. When we get around to it we will send some pics to those that we shot.

Otherwise we had a fantastic trip and enjoyed everything we saw and did. No doubt we will be back some time and in the meantime we hope that Melbourne gets the nod for 2010 and that you lot head this way for a visit. :)

Ten: I don't remember asking the origins of the name but it may have been Mrs Stubby. Thanks for the explanation though - I never knew that.

Good to hear you're home. Hope you got plenty of shower caps - they could even double up as swimming caps in case your moat looks tempting in those long hot summers of yours :D

Hey Stub,

Glad you had a good time.

Sorry we didn't get to meet you. Zak and I were actually lamenting this the other night over a beer. Well, when I saying lamenting, we contemplated the missed opportunity to meet another BwBer. Actually, when I say we contemplated, I think one of us mentioned it at some point... :P

Anyway, no doubt there will be future opportunities, particularly if Melbourne 2010 goes ahead or me and Ms V move to 'Straya in the future

Archived