Question for UK Boarders

Stubby

What sort of stuff?

I cant think of any specific events that take place in may though I could be wrong.

Will you be travelling around?

What sort of stuff are you interested in cos you could just do the normal tourist stuff but a month is quite a long time.

There is the chelsea flower show but thats probably not what your after. There is the brighton festival for most of may which celebrates dance, art, books, music etc its ok depending on whats on, some crazies there though.

There is mayday so look out for morris dancers. These are usually hairy middle aged men in crazy outfits covered in bells, they do a jig and wave hankies they probably just wiped their noses on.

If youve seen the movie the wycca man some people go a bit wycca man on mayday, maypoles, morris dancers etc.

In london if you look about there is always exhibitions and stuff it depends what you are after.

If you like history there are castles and cathedrals to visit.

Like I say I cant think of much specific but I'm sure you will find your way around. Hope you have a good stay!

GP,

I meant stuff that might be attended by other boarders, but there are some ideas in your post that may be useful.

We have to be in west Scotland for the last week of May for a wedding, but for the rest of the time we will be doing the whole touristy thing.

Well, a few people are of to Barcelona for a general Eurocommie meet up/piss up on the first weekend of May. You could pop over for that as flights will be pretty reasonable. I can guarantee that will be a great laugh.

Failing that, the Scotland chapter are ok for a bunch of Scots and they will probably use any excuse to get out on the booze. So if you post some more details about where you will be and when in Scotland you will probably hear from them. Only not this morning because they will all be hanging from their Christmas party last night :sick:

Or, failing that, just give us an idea where you might be and we could even arrange a BWB London meet up :blush: That would of course require some people from near London to be willing to come to a pub and meet other people in real life, a scary prospect.

Failing that, the Scotland chapter are ok for a bunch of Scots and they will probably use any excuse to get out on the booze. So if you post some more details about where you will be and when in Scotland you will probably hear from them. Only not this morning because they will all be hanging from their Christmas party last night

hey, we resemble that remark!

Ser Stubby, just let us all know when and where you are and I'm sure at least some of us will take you out for a drink or five.... :cheers:

Or, failing that, just give us an idea where you might be and we could even arrange a BWB London meet up :blush: That would of course require some people from near London to be willing to come to a pub and meet other people in real life, a scary prospect.

A scary prospect? Going to a pub?

Oh, a pub in London, yes that's terrifying. The prices alone will have you running screaming for the hills :)

Shouldn't be too hard to sort out a London meet.

I think Dark clad stranger and Isis are from London and there is myself and Barry. We might be able to persuade Silanah, Chal, Nat and Mr Chal to come down from Birmingham and I'm sure there are others in or around London.

I'm in the vicinity: Colchester is only a 45 minute train ride away from Liverpool Street. Thundersummoner and Contra are in London as well (muses across the boards, notes Contra's recent absence, assumes he got another temp ban).

I'm in the vicinity: Colchester is only a 45 minute train ride away from Liverpool Street. Thundersummoner and Contra are in London as well (muses across the boards, notes Contra's recent absence, assumes he got another temp ban).

I'm actually closer to you than you realise. Be afraid. :lol: I live in the same county as you. Although you are definitely in the best bit. If I were ever to move to another place in Essex (and why would I want to do that?) it'd have to be Colchester.

I work in central London five days a week though and my outrageously expensive season ticket means that I can travel up on weekends without paying EVEN more money for the pleasure.

Hopefully my evil finals might be over by then, but I doubt it.

We might be able to persuade Silanah, Chal, Nat and Mr Chal to come down from

I can drink, Sean, but I don't think I can drink three times as much as anyone else ;)

N

edit: I'm a numbskull and can't count

I'm actually closer to you than you realise. Be afraid. :lol: I live in the same county as you. Although you are definitely in the best bit. If I were ever to move to another place in Essex (and why would I want to do that?) it'd have to be Colchester.

I work in central London five days a week though and my outrageously expensive season ticket means that I can travel up on weekends without paying EVEN more money for the pleasure.

Hopefully my evil finals might be over by then, but I doubt it.

(feels scared) :)

It's a sign of how off-puttingly expensive London is that I'm only 60 miles away and have only gone there twice in the last eighteen months (once to see the Manic Street Preachers at Wembley, the other to see REM at Hyde Park). I haven't been out on the lash in London for about five years and that was scary enough, expense-wise.

Colchester rules. As a University town we have tons of really cheap bars and for the size of the town, the sheer number of drinking establishments in the town borders on the ridiculous. Plus we have been blessed by a George R.R. Martin visit last year (wahey!) and get regular signings by the likes of David Gemmell and Terry Pratchett. Pretty cool.

I ensure that I only ever drink in the scummiest, dingiest pubs in London, none of these poncey expensive bars for me!

What makes going out in London rather expensive for me is going to sleep on the train home, waking up in Southend and then having to get a cab back home because there are no more trains. That adds about £35 onto the cost of the evening. Extra loser points are available for falling alseep in the cab as well and going past your house so as it costs you EVEN MORE. :rolleyes:

Ser S, as the others said what's your rough plan of action? Do you want advice of places to go? Are you coming up here to Scotland? If you are i'm sure we'll all be happy to give you a good scottish welcome :)

Ser S, as the others said what's your rough plan of action? Do you want advice of places to go? Are you coming up here to Scotland? If you are i'm sure we'll all be happy to give you a good scottish welcome :)

Thanks Zak, but I dont have a plan of action yet. I still hope to get up on the 28th though.

Its nice to know i'll have a welcome waiting if I do make it. :)

Archived