Question for UK Boarders

Stubby

I ensure that I only ever drink in the scummiest, dingiest pubs in London, none of these poncey expensive bars for me!

What makes going out in London rather expensive for me is going to sleep on the train home, waking up in Southend and then having to get a cab back home because there are no more trains. That adds about £35 onto the cost of the evening. Extra loser points are available for falling alseep in the cab as well and going past your house so as it costs you EVEN MORE. :rolleyes:

He he he. Try going to a gig (three years ago now), somehow blagging your way into the VIP bar, downing special two-pint glasses of Smirnoff Ice (not very alcoholic on its own but in two-pint glasses and relatively cheap, the day after payday? :D ), drunkenly singing your way through the gig, missing the tube to Liverpool Street due to alcohol-fuelled ineptness, and ending up having to fork out £250 for a taxi from London to Colchester? :unsure: Great gig, but my bank balance suffered the rest of the month.

He he he. Try going to a gig (three years ago now), somehow blagging your way into the VIP bar, downing special two-pint glasses of Smirnoff Ice (not very alcoholic on its own but in two-pint glasses and relatively cheap, the day after payday? :D ), drunkenly singing your way through the gig, missing the tube to Liverpool Street due to alcohol-fuelled ineptness, and ending up having to fork out £250 for a taxi from London to Colchester? :unsure: Great gig, but my bank balance suffered the rest of the month.

£250!!!! Fuck that! I would have got a hotel room or just hung about until the first train in the morning.

Mormont - Only joking mate. Please don't tell Needle :uhoh:

£250!!!! Fuck that! I would have got a hotel room or just hung about until the first train in the morning.

Mormont - Only joking mate. Please don't tell Needle :uhoh:

That was the plan, but my mate was seriously under the old ball and chain from his missus (literally, it was the only night out he was allowed to have that year :o ) who was having panic attacks that if we stayed in London overnight we'd be mugged and possibly sold into white slavery. My personal preference was to take advantage of London's nightlife and put some of that £250 to better use getting (more) sloshed, but my friend was adamant we had to get home. Oh well. Next time we went to London we made sure we didn't get drunk :(

Hello all. I live quite close to London, its about 20 minutes on the train. Luckily for me I don't live anywhere near the horror that is hell spawn infested Essex. :P

*Affects very snooty accent* "I'm in Surrey don't you know?" :D

Well, I've never met any of you before and you sound like a scary bunch, so what's stopping me from meeting you all up sometime in May?

PS: Werthead, your sig has inspird me to head down to Forbeidden Planet and pick up Spaced series 1 and 2 on DVD at some point. I've never seen it but everyone tells me I'd love it.

ETA: Smileys to show I don't mean any harm to the wonderful Essex people!

Dunno. People from Surrey might not get the humour. It is very lowbrow :) Just kidding. Yeah, go knock yourself out. It's a truly great series. My sig on another board is another classic Spaced quote.

"Jar-Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like fcuk!ng Shaft!"

Never a truer word spoken.

Hello all. I live quite close to London, its about 20 minutes on the train. Luckily for me I don't live anywhere near the horror that is hell spawn infested Essex.

*Affects very snooty accent* "I'm in Surrey don't you know?"

Well, I've never met any of you before and you sound like a scary bunch, so what's stopping me from meeting you all up sometime in May?

PS: Werthead, your sig has inspird me to head down to Forbeidden Planet and pick up Spaced series 1 and 2 on DVD at some point. I've never seen it but everyone tells me I'd love it.

I'm relatively close to London in Cambridge (about 45 minutes away by train for the direct train during the day, sadly the last train at night takes more like an hour and a half), so I'd probably be willing to attend a meet in May or whenever else we might decide to hold one.

About Spaced, if you want to buy it (and you should, it was an excellent series) then you should probably try to get the three disc collector's edition which contains both series and a bonus disc.

In honour of the UK SF comedy discussion going on here, I have (temporarily) reset my avatar to an appropriate image. I expect any discerning UK SF comedy fans can tell me quite quickly where my new pic comes from...? :)

I'm in the vicinity: Colchester is only a 45 minute train ride away from Liverpool Street. Thundersummoner and Contra are in London as well (muses across the boards, notes Contra's recent absence, assumes he got another temp ban).

Haha :lol: I'm not THAT bad! I haven't been banned. I just went into self-imposed exile for a while. I got Ran to kindly remove all my Threads so I can start again. Too much of my junk was cluttering up the place so I get a fresh start. I'm making my first New Years resolution too: To always be nice to my fellow Boarders and be an all-round nice guy.

In honour of the UK SF comedy discussion going on here, I have (temporarily) reset my avatar to an appropriate image. I expect any discerning UK SF comedy fans can tell me quite quickly where my new pic comes from...? :)

I recognised it as being from Red Dwarf immediately, although I couldn't remember which episode - I suppose I haven't seen Gunmen of the Apocalypse for quite a long time since I think we stopped before season 6 last time we tried to watch Red Dwarf all the way through.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived