BWB at Denver Worldcon

Stego

Hey all!

As we all know, in Westeros seven is a holy number. The seven kingdoms. The seven pointed star. The seven faces of the gods of those Southern wusses. (Tree power!)

Denver 2008 marks the seventh Worldcon for the Brotherhood Without Banners, and we hope it to mark a return to greatness for our fellowship. (The distance and cost involved with Japan certainly put a damper on our con activities last year.)

Despite signifigant concern and stress by myself and quite a few BWB stalwarts 'in-the-know,' the incomparable X-Ray the Enforcer was able to procure a suite in an overbooked hotel for both Friday and Saturday nights of Worldcon. This may sound like nothing to the vast majority of you, yet to those of us who have known since World Fantasy convention that in all likliehood we would have no suite for ANY days of Worldcon, this is a staggering accomplishment.

And so, we continue our tradition of partying it up.

As we all have noticed, inflation has been asinine as of late in the States. As could be expected, it also has hit our party budget. As such, [b]I am asking each attending BWB member to donate at least 30 dollars to the party fund[/b]. In the past, this number has always been 20 dollars. I apologize for the cost increase, but that is what it will take to avoid repeating past budgetary issues.

Two nights of booze and partying until dawn for 30 dollars is still a massive bargain you will not find elsewhere. I thank you for your understanding.

See you all in a few weeks!

(edited by Xray to correct the dates of the parties :) )

[quote name='Mandy' post='1442970' date='Jul 16 2008, 13.14']Also, should we bring a bottle or two or party supplies of any kind?[/quote]

Also, we will be providing booze, but it'll be of the Party Punch variety, plus some beer. For those with more refined tastes (or those who are feeling especially generous), I encourage them to bring a bottle of their favorite (vodka is always welcome) and I'm sure Mr. X would be happy to incorporate that into a drink for you (or if you're a beer snob, bring your favorite 6-pack and we can guard it for you). If you want to share, awesome. (for example, Mr. X and I be donating a bottle or three of decent gin to the cause, because I don't want to drink the cheap stuff).

As for party supplies -- only thing we need are things like cups and garbage bags and Febreze, the things that make throwing a Con party possible and tolerable. ;)

[quote name='Stego' post='1442967' date='Jul 16 2008, 10.11']As we all have noticed, inflation has been asinine as of late in the States. As could be expected, it also has hit our party budget. As such, [b]I am asking each attending BWB member to donate at least 30 dollars to the party fund[/b]. In the past, this number has always been 20 dollars. I apologize for the cost increase, but that is what it will take to avoid repeating past budgetary issues.[/quote]

Is there a place/process for non-attendee donors? Or should I just pass my $30 to one of the NorCal attendees?

[quote](The distance and cost involved with Japan certainly put a damper on our con activities last year.)[/quote]

Maybe on yours, I had a blast. And Denver is the 8th worldcon :P

Good work, guys!:)

[quote name='Bronn Stone' post='1443178' date='Jul 16 2008, 20.14']Depends on which matters more - GRRM's attendance or Pod's. I can't decide.[/quote]
Heh. Well after this con, it´ll be all balanced again. So no more confusion. :P

I donated also anyhow. :)

Awesome work Xray, I know that we had some major doubts as to whether we would be able to get a suite this year, so props to your good self.

I'll sort out the donation with you in Denver (and a bottle or two) but do you need any volunteers for the parties?

I can always make one of my green concoctions from LA, should anyone be bored with consciousness. ;)

Finally thanks to Stego, Xray, Mr X and any others who have worked hard to organise this for us. :cheers:

Thanks Bronn and Padraig! :)

Sean - are we going to see the return of the 5th finger of Daj? :wideeyed:

as for volunteering -- yes. We'll definitely need some people to help manage the party: we'll need people to keep an eye on things and make sure no one gets out of hand, we'll need door greeters and, depending on the ice situation, we might need some able-bodied men making ice runs to fill up the tub beforehand. And an occasional pass through the room with a garbage bag is always welcome (Bronn and Lugalirra were my heroes at WFC for doing this -- it made clean-up so much easier at the end of the night). At World Fantasy, we rotated duties throughout the night so nobody got stuck with a crappy job the whole time, and it gave everyone a chance to visit the other parties, as well as having a lot of time to socialize with each other.

Bill -- we will be in one of the suites in the Party Hotel. :)

[quote name='Xray the Enforcer' post='1443326' date='Jul 16 2008, 16.38']Bill -- we will be in one of the suites in the Party Hotel. :)[/quote]

Hopefully they put you in one of the big suites.

I can wander down the hall at some point Friday and/or Saturday. I am in an excutive suite on the 22nd floor wednesday through Sunday. Feel free to stop by any night.

bill

[quote name='Xray the Enforcer' post='1443326' date='Jul 16 2008, 15.38']as for volunteering -- yes. We'll definitely need some people to help manage the party: we'll need people to keep an eye on things and make sure no one gets out of hand,[/quote]

A cagefighter, perhaps?

[quote name='Xray the Enforcer' post='1443326' date='Jul 16 2008, 13.38'](Bronn and Lugalirra were my heroes at WFC for doing this -- it made clean-up so much easier at the end of the night).[/quote]

The all-time hero in that role has to be OsRavan at Noreascon. He approached the job with a fervor and single-mindedness that had to be seen to be believed (one of which he was/is uniquely capable). Cleanup pretty much involved moving the furniture back afterward.

Wish I could be going. Sounds like you guys are headed for a great party!

I'll see if I can bribe the friends I see before coming into providing me with a bottle or 2 of home-made mead. Though the main restriction will probably be whether I can carry bottles to Denver, I'm not sure my suitcase is safe enough to handle the harsh treatment of plane transportation and keep the bottles intact.

Archived