NYC meetup

Thought I'd start a thread to see if we can organise a meetup in New York city.

Dunhallym and I are visiting NYC from Friday 1st - Tuesday 5th, Mountain Goat is visiting from 2nd-6th (I think), Lany is coming for the weekend...

Lasy year I visited New York and a load of us met up one evening in... um... something to do with a Tiger (Blind Tiger?). X-Ray and Mr X, Naz and his wife, Quoth, TC, Plunja of Braavos and his cousin etc.... and I'd really like to do the same thing again.

So, which New York denizens would be up for this and which evening would be best? Saturday 2nd August[s]? Sunday 3rd August? Monday 4th August?[/s]

Sophie

My flight gets into Newark at about 2 pm on Saturday 2nd August so I am hoping there is a Saturday evening get together someplace - just let me know where and hopefully I will find it :/

Then I am flying from La Guardia to Denver on Wednesday 6th August at about 8 am to arrive there at 10.30 am.

Not sure what I will be doing Sun, Mon and Tues. A bit of sight seeing, bit of shopping, some museums maybe...... if there is anything else interesting going on then let me know please.

[quote name='Turinqui Calima' post='1455301' date='Jul 24 2008, 18.23']So is it decided that we're meet on the 2nd? Anyone have any suggestions where?[/quote]

I think that the only real condition that must be met is that Sophelia (and Lany?) don't drink beer, so as long as there is wine available, we are good.

Mr. X is a much better source (also, he's on summer vacation and I'm a mental wreck), but I wonder if we could meet in the East Village? A large profusion of bars in that 'hood.

i am a big fan of this place [url="http://www.obriensnyc.com/home.html"]o'brien's[/url] and if that does not work there is a more tucked away irish bar down the street a little.

(sometimes bands play upstairs at o'brien's and its the suck)

i am not married to anywhere. just throwing places out for now.

[quote name='Xray the Enforcer' post='1455316' date='Jul 24 2008, 18.43']I think that the only real condition that must be met is that Sophelia (and Lany?) don't drink beer, so as long as there is wine available, we are good.

Mr. X is a much better source (also, he's on summer vacation and I'm a mental wreck), but I wonder if we could meet in the East Village? A large profusion of bars in that 'hood.[/quote]

First of all: :grouphug: for the mental wreck.

About East Village, I used to go to St. Marks Ale House quite often and it's good for semi-big groups if one get a table, but it's pretty sucky if it's too crowded. Sometimes it's real loud too. We don't want it to be too loud right...

I'd still prefer East Village to Midtown (even if Midtown is easier for me to get to). It's a nice neighborhood to go out in. (and the Japanese restaurants on St. Marks are awesome).

Since I've never been to NY (I don't count the day I spent there between a train and a plane) I don't have much opinion on the place, as long as it's reachable by subway as Lany says. Our hotel is in Midtown I think (south east corner of Central Park).
Lany, depending on what time you get to NYC, maybe we can meet you earlier, I don't know NY, but I'm quite good with a map :P
I'm leaving this Sunday for Raleigh (going to meet a friend there before going back to NYC), but I should still be able to read my e-mails. I'll have my mobile phone too (just need to ask for the international extension) and can give it by PM if someone wants it.

I'm free that weekend. I live in Queens.

I'm busy on Monday night watching a Hitchcock film ("Lifeboat") in Bryant Park (for free). We picnic from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. when the film starts and then carouse for hours after the film. You can come anytime, but the earlier the better, since I cannot guarantee you a spot on my blanket(s).

Send me a PM with your cell phone and a physical description of yourself, if you can stop by on Monday night, please. (Chairs and alcohol are not allowed on the lawn, but people sneak in alcohol and pot all the time, so I don't mind if you bring it as long as you are discrete.)

- Kim

edit: there is also free wi-fi in the park

Archived