NYC meetup

I arrived at Common Ground first, dead on 6.00 I might add, and waited outside for Soph and Dunny to turn up.

About 40 minutes later they arrived and we recognised each other straight away, waving at each other from across the street. So we went in got a drink and sat chatting for an hour or so. TC arrived at 8.00 and the X's were not long after. TC shocked us by announciing that Limecat had flown down specially to be there, but I think he got lost finding the place cos it was well after 9.20 when he found us. We were disappointed to discover he does not in fact wear a large lime on his head in real life, but he is a cool guy.

I was so sad to hear Lany could not make it :( Maybe next time Lany :grouphug:

X-Ray did make a great little comment when talking about her work. "Working in the media I am like a whore, exactly like a whore, but without the sex." :lol:

Some friends of Mr X turned up to wish him happy birthday and he got a gift of Spaced on DVD :thumbsup: but sadly Mr X's birthday celebration was totally upstaged by the group next to us who had a cake and everything. Oh well, we had a great time anyway with Mr X in his "oh John Ringo no" T-shirt.

Sadly us Eurocommies had to bail just as things were getting interesting at about 10.30 ish. Dunny is still not feeling 100% and I was starting to feel the jet lag. I did sleep for 11 hours straight once I got back to my hotel.

It sounds like everyone else had a great time after that and hopefully they can fill in some details of what transpired.

Here is a link to my photo gallery which I will update as the week goes on:

[url="http://www.philliplowles.co.uk/gallery/flashGallery.html"]BWB in New York & Worldcon Denver[/url]

[quote name='themountaingoat' post='1467115' date='Aug 3 2008, 19.48']About 40 minutes later they arrived and we recognised each other straight away, waving at each other from across the street. So we went in got a drink and sat chatting for an hour or so. TC arrived at 8.00 and the X's were not long after. TC shocked us by announciing that Limecat had flown down specially to be there, but I think he got lost finding the place cos it was well after 9.20 when he found us. [b]We were disappointed to discover he does not in fact wear a large lime on his head in real life, but he is a cool guy.[/b][/quote]

Well that's just plain disappointing! False advertising, I tell you.

[quote name='themountaingoat' post='1467115' date='Aug 3 2008, 16.48']Here is a link to my photo gallery which I will update as the week goes on:

[url="http://www.philliplowles.co.uk/gallery/flashGallery.html"]BWB in New York & Worldcon Denver[/url][/quote]

[s]Can't see any pictures in your gallery, MG, just a square[/s] It's working now.

So, lessee what happened, now that I'm somewhat recovered from the drunk.

Arrived at 8pm to find MG, Soph, Dunhallym and TC on the couches in the back. Walked right on by the Limecat, having no idea to look for him (and I even knew what he looked like!). Started with the drinking and carousing, and rediscovered that not only do MG and I share a birthday, we also inhabit a very similar space, professionally. Except, of course, he's not a whore. Or, if he is, there might be sex involved. ;)

Soph is lovely, as usual. And both Dunhallym and MG are lively, fun conversationalists. Fantastic to meet both, and I look forward to more good times in Denver with them.

Mr. X's friends R, G and E showed up. Those fuckers totally ganked the pressie I was going to buy Mr. X for his birthday (for the record, the DVD of [i]Spaced[/i]). Evil bastards. Then our friends Brandon and Melissa showed up (those at previous meets will remember them -- they brought the ginormous helm to Blind Tiger last time Soph was in town) and the nerdity got going.

The whole posse bailed at the same time -- NYC friends had to go to bed early, the Eurocommies were jetlagged. So it was up to TC, Limecat, Mr. X and me to carry the party on. We ambled down to Hop Devil, where I was totally denied mead. If you don't have it, don't put it on the fucking menu!! :mad:

We ended up staying out very late drinking more than was strictly necessary. But it was a seriously good time, and I'm glad TC is still in town. She knows how to keep the party rolling.

Extra props go to Limecat, of course, for being a got-damned TROOPER. It was great to meet you in person, man, and I hope to do so again very soon. :love:

[quote name='Lord of Oop North' post='1467132' date='Aug 3 2008, 20.23']Well, the day after was quite the adventure!

I wanna go up the ESB, but the lineup stretches like 2 frakkin' blocks. Fuck. Am I legally allowed to mow down tourists in NYC?[/quote]

Yes. Make sure you're in a cab when you do, though.

[quote name='Xray the Enforcer' post='1467134' date='Aug 3 2008, 20.25']Extra props go to Limecat, of course, for being a got-damned TROOPER. It was great to meet you in person, man, and I hope to do so again very soon. :love:[/quote]

Awww... thanks :love:

Next time, I'll make sure to bring the Lime Helmet.

[quote name='Xray the Enforcer' post='1467137' date='Aug 3 2008, 20.28']You got my cell number, right? I swear I gave it to you last night, but now I'm wondering if I hallucinated it.[/quote]
Yup, I have it. I thought I lost it this morning, and ended up finding it in the pocket that I checked already. Twice.

Drunken Awakening FTW!

I'm not sure if I gave out mine -- can't remember. TC has it, though. Not that it does any good. The phone is still dead and apparently no one in New York Fuckin' City carries the proper cell phone charger. Like, for real?

Had a wonderful time yesterday and sorry we missed the last phase. :cry:
Many :grouphug: to X-ray, Mr X, TC, Limecat :)

[quote name='Lord of Oop North' post='1467132' date='Aug 4 2008, 01.23']Well, the day after was quite the adventure!

I wanna go up the ESB, but the lineup stretches like 2 frakkin' blocks. Fuck. Am I legally allowed to mow down tourists in NYC?[/quote]

MG and Dunny are in the queue as I write. They were swallowed up into the phallic-shaped building however so you can mow down any remaining tourists still on the pavement (if you can get through the scaffolding poles, rickshaws and people trying to sell tickets, souvenirs and/or redemption).

I am reclining back in the hotel room because [s]I am scared of heights[/s] I already went up the ESB when I was [s]5 years old[/s] younger so I don't need to do it again.:uhoh:

Tomorrow the three of us are planning to explore Greenwich Village, Little Italy, Chinatown and somewhere else in that middle bit, and taking the Staten Island ferry. Today we spent hours in the Met Museum and still only got to see a few paintings ;)

Too tired to write more today.
Sophie

And another fine day here in NYC. The queue for the ESB last night was more than ! hour, and it wasn't visible outside of the building. Just plain crazy, but the view at night was worth it.
Today, after a nice walk through Greenwich Village, Soho and Chinatown, we met MrX who led us to a very nice chinese restaurant where I started to find some appetite back.
Then we went down to take the Staten Island Ferry, which is a very nice sight and promenade. Finallly got back to the hotel exhausted (i still sleep quite badly because of the cough) so a short nap was in order before going out tonight again. And tomorrow is the greatt departure to Denver.
MG will sure have some pics to complete this short account.

Archived