Anyone who didn't like The Dark Knight is a tool.

EHK for Darwin

[quote name='Ericxihn' post='1452856' date='Jul 23 2008, 14.00']That kind of makes sense, but why would joker assume that Batman would rescue his person but Gordon and police couldn't theirs? Is the bat-motorcycles that much faster than a squad car?[/quote]

You know, this flashed across my mind for the briefest of moments during this scene but quickly disappeared because the tension kept me so focused.

I also completely forgot about the fingerprint scene. It’s as if in order to show that Batman was a good detective they had to show he had high tech CSI skills instead of things like how Chigurh tracks Moss or something out of the Wire. Normally this would have bugged the crap out of me, but I completely forgot about this scene. It felt like it happened ages ago in a different Batman movie.

All of my quibbles feel so minor because of the Joker’s character and performance, the tension and plot as well as the moral uncertainties explored.

Just for fun, I present Batman & Robin (in 10 minutes):

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJWpmPGCR1c"]TA-DA![/url]

Seriously, the ass-crotch-ass-crotch-ass-crotch-titties shots in the first minute are the funniest thing ever. They shouldn't have bothered with the rest of that piece of shit movie.

[quote name='Simon of Steele' post='1453112' date='Jul 23 2008, 16.04']I liked it, but Transformers was way better.[/quote]

Oh dear god, you're kidding right?

ETA: Let me expand and say that as far as Hollywood blockbusters go, Dark Knight and Transformers are complete opposites. Shiaf Lebeau (however you spell it) vs. Bale? MG vs. Megan Fox? Nolan vs. Bay? Compare the plots, acting, tension.. did you actually feel anyone was in mortal danger in Transformers? Did Megatron excite you as a villain and did he scare you with his evil plot?

There's absolutely no comparison here in my mind.

Excellent movie. Lived up to the hype and deserves the accolades it has received. I'm still rather surprised that so dark and serious a vision made it past the mediocrity police.

Only nit I have is the jumpy editing, and only one instance that truly bugged me: I would have liked to see the Joker overpower that cop he taunted into coming at him in the interrogation room. The quick cut between those scenes was a stretch for me.

Ledger was sublime. What astonishing character immersion. Strange to think that's the same guy who starred in A Knight's Tale.

I wonder how many Jokers we're going to see this Halloween?

[quote name='Mandiric' post='1453247' date='Jul 23 2008, 17.04']I wonder how many Jokers we're going to see this Halloween?[/quote]

Too many under the age of 10 I'd say... honestly, I wonder how many pre-teen nightmares were endured across the country this weekend?

I was annoyed twice during the movie. One had to do with the theater and how loud the music was during Gordon's little speech at the end. I only made out about half of what he was saying. The other had to do with two moronic sets of parents who brought their young children (between 4-6 years old) and then decided to sit right in front of me and right behind me. What the hell were those guys thinking? The little girl ended up with her head buried in her father's chest for the last half of the movie, and only because the theater had the sound up so loud did I mostly not hear her sobs.

Otherwise, this was hands down one of the best movies I've ever seen. Forget the comic book moniker and just add this to the all-time list of great movies.

[quote name='rhombencephalon' post='1453267' date='Jul 23 2008, 16.10']Too many under the age of 10 I'd say... honestly, I wonder how many pre-teen nightmares were endured across the country this weekend?[/quote]

One guy on another board said there was a mom at his theatre with her like 6 and 8 year old sons. Apparently after the "magic trick", the 6 year old turns to his mom and says "Joker is naughty".

[quote name='awesome possum' post='1453270' date='Jul 23 2008, 17.12']I was annoyed twice during the movie. One had to do with the theater and how loud the music was during Gordon's little speech at the end. I only made out about half of what he was saying. The other had to do with two moronic sets of parents who brought their young children (between 4-6 years old) and then decided to sit right in front of me and right behind me. What the hell were those guys thinking? The little girl ended up with her head buried in her father's chest for the last half of the movie, and only because the theater had the sound up so loud did I mostly not hear her sobs.[/quote]

I'd have thought they would have been able to take it in Detroit. :P

Some parents are just oblivious. I've read so many reviews that says it's not appropriate for young children. When I went to see the first Scary Movie (admittedly in a ghetto theater in Brooklyn), parents were bringing children younger than 10 to that. Unbelievable.

[quote name='awesome possum' post='1453270' date='Jul 23 2008, 17.12']The other had to do with two moronic sets of parents who brought their young children (between 4-6 years old) and then decided to sit right in front of me and right behind me. What the hell were those guys thinking? The little girl ended up with her head buried in her father's chest for the last half of the movie, and only because the theater had the sound up so loud did I mostly not hear her sobs.[/quote]
I went to a 10 PM show on Monday and some morons brought their baby in a stroller into the theater. Baby was gurgling, babbling, and crying intermittently throughout the movie. A bunch of us were yelling at them to take their kid out. Really fucking irritating.

I enjoyed the movie, but I can't help but wonder how much I could have gotten into it if not for those stupid selfish fucks who brought a baby into a 10 PM movie.

First time I saw it, I had teenage girls ooohing and ahhing over Heath Ledger, despite the fact he was beating on someone or blowing something up. Second time, despite another sellout, the entire theater was dead silent. I was able to get into it more and it made for a much more enjoyable experience.

[quote name='rhombencephalon' post='1453352' date='Jul 23 2008, 17.59']There are times that it irks me that we require licenses to drive and carry a handgun... but any idiot can have a kid.[/quote]

Just imagine if those idiots had a handgun and a kid.

[quote name='Mexal' post='1453411' date='Jul 23 2008, 18.46']Just imagine if those idiots had a handgun and a kid.[/quote]

Many of them do... :stunned:

[quote name='Space Bandito' post='1453337' date='Jul 23 2008, 16.45']First time I saw it, I had teenage girls ooohing and ahhing over Heath Ledger, despite the fact he was beating on someone or blowing something up. Second time, despite another sellout, the entire theater was dead silent. I was able to get into it more and it made for a much more enjoyable experience.[/quote]

At my showing, despite a few younger kids, there wasn't a single sound other then a few screams at:

a) the magic trick
B) the body dressed in a bat suit hitting the window

Well, I'm from Houston, where everybody is a gun-toting sadist, and it was the midnight showing. The amount of audience enthusiasm was actually enjoyable.

- Howls of "BADASS!" when Fitchner's character (the bank teller) stormed out with a shotgun.
- Applause at "What doesn't kill you just makes you stranger."
- Laughter and "OH FUCK!" at the Magic Trick, mixed with a few squeals of surprise.
- A big round of "OH SHIT!" when the gangster fell 3 stories.
- Someone yelled "That's how a man saves his woman!" when Batman plunged out the window after Rachel.
- Tons of snickers at Freeman's "You're wanting to blackmail this guy?" moment.
- A huge round of laughter the moment that everyone saw the Joker's Harvey Dent sticker.
- A lot of "awwwwws" and laughter when Bruce told Alfred "I'll tell them it was all your idea."
- The audience promptly went wild when the Joker left the hospital.
- The audience promptly exploded when the credits rolled.

Though, I hope my next viewing is quieter. I love a fun, enthused audience, but I also like to just watch the movie.

[quote name='WarGalley' post='1453039' date='Jul 24 2008, 05.16']I also completely forgot about the fingerprint scene. It’s as if in order to show that Batman was a good detective they had to show he had high tech CSI skills instead of things like how Chigurh tracks Moss or something out of the Wire. Normally this would have bugged the crap out of me, but I completely forgot about this scene. It felt like it happened ages ago in a different Batman movie.[/quote]

Thats probably because that scene was more of a dialogue scene and teh whole CSI bit was just a bit of eye candy to keep the punters little eyes and ADD brains happy.

[quote name='WarGalley' post='1453115' date='Jul 23 2008, 14.07']Oh dear god, you're kidding right?

ETA: Let me expand and say that as far as Hollywood blockbusters go, Dark Knight and Transformers are complete opposites. Shiaf Lebeau (however you spell it) vs. Bale? MG vs. Megan Fox? Nolan vs. Bay? Compare the plots, acting, tension.. did you actually feel anyone was in mortal danger in Transformers? Did Megatron excite you as a villain and did he scare you with his evil plot?

There's absolutely no comparison here in my mind.[/quote]

First off--if Megatron got the cube--we'd be fucked. I know you couldn't see the last battle between Optimus and Megatron because the director of the movie thought it'd be more interesting to watch the military guys fight a Decepticon, but I'm pretty sure Optimus got his ass handed to him. Had Megatron took the cube then Earth would be a new Cybertron and only producing Decepticons. That is scary. Did you see those girls in the car whose steering wheel came to life and turned into a Decepticon and clawed off their faces (presumably)? Those girls were kind of hot. And seriously--yes to Megan Fox--WAAAAAAY over MG. I wish Fox had been in Donnie Darko.

What's the Joker got? Laughter? Shit, Megatron has a whole other transformer (Starscream) who handles the maniacal laughter for him, because he's too busy kicking ass.

Edit: I haven't actually seen the new Batman, I'm just basing my judgment off the bits and piece of TV spots I've seen from the corner of my eye.

Archived