Upcoming cover art

Larry.

A bit too in your face for me, that The Heroes cover.

I thought so too, at first, then I saw the subtle layer of faces in the blood splatter. It ranks somewhere between the UK cover of Best Served Cold :wideeyed: and the US cover :stunned:

Canticle by Ken Scholes (mass market paperback edition).

US cover art for Newton's Nights of Villjamur.

At least the Canticle cover, if it must feature a character prominently, did not resort to the photo-of-an-intern-in-a-cloak method. That being said, I would assume that this is Jin on the cover, which makes me wonder about the bloody knives. This would have worked well for Lamentation, but I can't remember if she fought even once in Canticle. In any case, I certainly feel a different character would be more apt for this cover if you are going to go for the badass with knives look.

I am liking the new Newton though. Certainly far better artwork than what we saw previously for the release. The color scheme, not only in the artwork, but the entire cover design, works well for the cover and goes a long way to raising it above the original UK cover art for the book (though it was good, too).

----

When I first saw the cover for Heroes I immediately saw the faces in the blood. Unfortunately, the first thing I thought was not, "hmm, that's clever", but rather, "Should have known Orbit couldn't restrain themselves from adding character portraits to the cover." Make the blood splatters vaguely resemble warriors instead of leaving a massive glob of blood and I might be swayed towards being impressed... or, you know, ease up on the blood and do away with the character portraits entirely leaving a blood splattered map instead of a map drowning in a pool of blood.

When I first saw the cover for Heroes I immediately saw the faces in the blood. Unfortunately, the first thing I thought was not, "hmm, that's clever", but rather, "Should have known Orbit couldn't restrain themselves from adding character portraits to the cover." Make the blood splatters vaguely resemble warriors instead of leaving a massive glob of blood and I might be swayed towards being impressed... or, you know, ease up on the blood and do away with the character portraits entirely leaving a blood splattered map instead of a map drowning in a pool of blood.

I agree.

Informing by demand, The Ninth Avatar is now available. Paperback has shown up first on Amazon, just waiting for purchase links to be updated elsewhere and the Hardcover to appear. :cheers:

(for whatever reason, Amazon is being lame and showing the "old" version with the "old" cover art ... direct link here: http://www.amazon.com/Ninth-Avatar-Todd-Newton/dp/098420704X)

I hope you copy/paste this one over to the new thread, Jussi, because that Bakker cover art...ugh! Might as well call it "Shit Blows Up" based on the explosion bit there :P

Archived