Canada Book Signing

Mich

Just a quick tip for those not familiar with the area. Unless you get there before 4 trying to drive around Yonge and Dundas is going to be a nightmare. Getting across the top of the city is horrendous, getting south into the heart of downtown is heinous, and getting around that specific area once you finally make it there will be just plain god awful. I'm talking you could miss the whole thing if you try this in rush hour bad.

I'm heading to Yorkdale in about 20 minutes, and taking the subway to dundas from there. It's a straight runm with no transfers, and about a 1 minute walk to the WBB from the station at dundas.

Good luck all

Dutch

p.s. I'll be the guy in the black trench coat, buzzed hair, carrying his books in yellow no frills shopping bag should anyone feel any desire to find me.

p.p.s. I know it sounds silly, but I assure you that trench coat and no frills bag is the height of style, look for it on FT next week.

Hm, question: both my brother and best friend have ditched me for the evening, but out of the goodness of my heart I was hoping to have GRRM sign a book for each (I already have GoT signed, good enough for me). Does he have a maximum or limitations of any sort?

Its usually a 3 book limit Aludra so you're good :D

I think if you have more than 3 that you just get 3 done and then re-line up to get the rest.

*makes note to point and laugh at peoples in trench coats with yellow shopping bags :cool: *

Thanks, mich, and for the earlier response, too!

I'll be flying solo, likely rocking the anti-social listening-to-music-while-reading-with

-a-cup-of-timmy's-in-hand-because-i-got-an-hour

-and-a-half-of-sleep-last-night look, but feel free to approach me at your own risk. (If that's not description enough, shoulder-length brown hair, distinctive teal-embroidered jacket and a step away from passing out in exhaustion).

Description synopsis:

Mich - black track pants w. red stripe, Night's Watch Shirt, long dark hair

Aludra - brown hair, embroidered teal jacket

Dutch - black trench coat, yellow no frills bag

Mordin - 6'2", plump (he said it), full beard, grey coat

Space Kelso - 7' tall, pink mohawk (was he kidding?)

hope I didn't miss anybody

Arwen - nondescript. (no really - mid length blond/brown hair, navy jacket, glasses. Will be the only one carrying Tuf Voyaging hardcover. (haven't even read Feast yet, waiting for library and/or paperback).

OK everybody stop drinking tea/coffee now so no bathroom breaks needed. And get back to work.

I'll be with Mich...

Sporting a fancy shmancy black hoodie... and black jacket.... and er... black shoes...

really short brown (not black!) hair... glasses... uh... bluejeans. :P

Looking forward to tonight!

Woot.

Cheers.

Well, I shall be leaving any minute from my place in Mississauga and should be there around 6:30pm.

I dont know anyone but would really like to get to know some ppl.

I am about 6'1 and will be wearing a long light brown wool coat. And if you hear a guy coughing every two seconds, that would be me :)

I also be carrying my affc book in a green MKVII bag ( same one used by Indiana Jones).

C u all there.

Estel_MM

Well, I didn't make it. Came home and passed out, just woke up. So not only did I miss GRRM, I missed meeting up with you all! I'll just wait until someone reports what happened and then I can pretend I was there. Sigh.

Well! I just got back! I didn't meet up with any fellow BWBers though :cry: oh well. there's always next time.

There were a LOT of people there. I arrived at around 6:40, so I was stuck standing in the line toward the middle to end. But that's ok, I dragged my sister along for the ride (who hasn't read the books btw haha don't worry I'm working on that) so I had someone to bug and poke during the wait.

Anyway, to the important stuff. GRRM started off saying how Toronto is like some sort of time portal, because the last time he was here in 2000, he was watching the U.S. elections and turned off the t.v. just after Gore won Florida thinking it was safe to go to bed. He said he hopes that somehow his being in Toronto will reopen the portal and he'll find himself in the second term of Gore's presidency :rofl:

After that, he discussed the 5 year gap, why it had to be scrapped etc. everything we already pretty much know.

Then some people asked some questions, such as who is the most underrated character. GRRM didn't REALLY answer that question, just saying he knows who readers don't really like (he mentioned Sansa and Catelyn, but I like them both :P ) and that Arya, Jon Snow and Tyrion are most people's favourites.

Someone asked about Tywin and whoring but he said he couldn't answer those kinds of questions from a platform and they will be better resolved in future books. (ooh cryptic)

Someone else asked about turning ASOIAF into an HBO series and GRRM said maybe in the future if HBO comes to him etc.

Ummm that's all I can remember right now from the questioning...

I waited in line for about an hour and a half, got my book signed, GRRM was really nice etc. anyway, off to read some Shakespeare and hit the sack! Hope all you BWBers who met up had fun and had a few (and more) drinks to make up for my absence.

Been home for about an hour now. It was fun :) Not much to add to Warg's post other than me being the someone asking about Tywin and being very upset with George's answer :lol: There was more than 500 people that showed up for the signing. They actually had people lining up around the bookshelves through one side of the store. It was great! :D

lets see...who actually met up from around here :)

Arwen said hi right away when we first sat down she's a really sweet lady, Prophet was with me, ran into Banditski, met Dutch (who pulled a houdini on us and disappeared), Skryer met up with us at the pub later on and so did Moot :) Had a couple drinks, talked everyone's ears off, and then wandered home.

It was great meeting you guys :D we'll have to try it sometime on a night other than Monday ;)

met Dutch (who pulled a houdini on us and disappeared)

Sorry about that, I called my wife and discovered that my two year old was refusing to go to bed without "see daddy" :D so I had to book it.

Mich what was the guy in front of me in lines name? Ser guy or something? Bugger mentioned the Giants game which left George scowling through my turn, even after I told him that life wasn't all bad, some of us are Browns fans. :P

Anyway, had a good time, George was entertaining, though I expected him to be a bit more lively. Not sure why, just what I expected. Had a nice chat with Ser Guy (Again, I think) after he proved he was smarter than the average bear and sat down in the empty seat beside me in the front row rather than line up somewhere around spot 350. Couldn't figure out why no one else did that, I'm guessing people were afraid to look shabby next to the stylish no frills bag.

Anyway, nice to meet you Mich, and also Ser who for lack of anything defninite is henceforth dubbed ser guy.

Cheers

Dutch

Yeah Pod it was kinda related... we wanted to get George to actually say "Yes he paid whores for sex regularly!" then it would be even more safe assuming and asking if Twin built the secret entrance to Chataya's

I *really* don't know if he remembered me at all to tell you the truth. He looked like he recognized me when I put my hand up for the Q&A but other than that, no familiarities other commenting on my Nights Watch shirt :cool:

Sorry to hear Dutch :( at least it was a good reason though. 'Ser Guy' :lol: was banditski from around here. He's actually already been dubbed by George at Torcon as Ser Morgan the Tall iirc...more of a lurker than anything really.

As for the empty seat...well you never know what people carry around in yellow shopping bags these days :/

Hiya West Coasters,

According to the CBC website, the GRRM book club will be at 4:30 on Friday. doors open at 4:00, first come first serve. I plan on being there, and it would be could to have a BWB to verify that yes, I am a chick! :kiss:

Anyone else coming?

I will definitely be there. I don't know how many other West Coasters are reading this thread, though. I promised Sheryl McKay that I would try to fill the place, but it was such short notice, and Vancouver doesn't have any cool book stores anymore. It should be in the Straight this Thursday--but that's not much time. Oh well, WB, maybe we'll both get to ask a LOT of questions each...

Archived