Canada Book Signing

Mich

Just you wait Lodey ;) I've got a shot glass with your name on it.

So...for curiosity's sake. I know its still a little over 2 weeks but who all is interested for drinks and any Torontonians have suggestions for a place? or do we all add a bwb sticker to our foreheads for the signing? :rofl:

Just you wait Lodey ;) I've got a shot glass with your name on it.

So...for curiosity's sake. I know its still a little over 2 weeks but who all is interested for drinks and any Torontonians have suggestions for a place? or do we all add a bwb sticker to our foreheads for the signing? :rofl:

Yeah how exactly DO you BWBers recognize each other for the first time at signings and the like? Tell each other what you'll be wearing? Go up and randomly talk to people and have weird confrontations? :P hmmm I might be up for a little drinkie drinkie after. Nothing like monday night pubbing.

Ok this is my first post, don't know if I'm doing it right so bear with me. Lots of long-time lurkers coming out of the closet lately, maybe because of the release of the book?

Anyway I'm not a BWB member, but am DYING to meet some other fans at the signing. I was starting to think I was the only SoIaF fan in Toronto!!!

I'm about 95% commited to drinks afterwards. Pretty much just need to find some cheap lodgings for the night in the Megacity, as my drive is not a short one. Hotel/motel recommendations are welcome. Picking a pub ahead of time is smart as well. Good to see plenty are interested in representing the Ontario BWB and having a good time. Even you lurkers who haven't posted yet, come on out!

"Yeah how exactly DO you BWBers recognize each other for the first time at signings and the like? Tell each other what you'll be wearing? Go up and randomly talk to people and have weird confrontations?"

:lol: I met up with the BWBers at TorCon when I recognized a few of them from pictures posted online. It helped that they were standing right in front of the room GRRM was supposed to have just left, but I'm pretty sure a few of them were freaked a little. I'll try and remember to wear my BWB shirt for the signing, to lessen the confusion a little. (I'm also seven feet tall and have a pink mohawk) ;)

What time does this thing start anyways? I don't want to be too far back in line.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Supposed to start at 7 I think, but what is a good time to get there? Anybody have any ideas how big/long we could expect the line to be? I'm totally new at this kind of thing.

As for pubs, I'll go along with whatever. There's a few restaurants nearby, the Pickle Barrel if it's still there.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Supposed to start at 7 I think, but what is a good time to get there? Anybody have any ideas how big/long we could expect the line to be? I'm totally new at this kind of thing.

I'm pretty new to this kind of thing too. I finish class at U of T around 5ish and yes I believe it starts at 7. I guess I might head right down there straight after class, depends on my mood after my test :/ I'm up for some weird conversations trying to find out who people are! That's part of the fun :P

If you don't mind a 45 minute train or car ride Kelso, you can crash at our place for the night. Its much cheaper than a hotel room in Toronto, except of course its either a floppy chair (kinda like a single matress) in a spare room or the couch :)

I work til 5:30 downtown. I'll be heading to the signing after work. I would assume the line is going to be pretty big. I would suggest wandering there around 6 at least. As for bars...still no clue :D

That's really kind of you Mich, but I wouldn't want to intrude in your castle. I'll continue my quest for a cheap hotel room in Tdot for now. Can I day-before you on this one or do you want some notice? Again, your generosity is appreciated.

I'm interested to see what kind of turn out we get. Maybe Icarus or whatever his name was will show-up again.

Day beforing is fine. I kinda figured it might be that way. I already told the other half I might be bringing a boy home :cool:

:rofl: the Zanzibar

As for the weird lurker guy...I doubt it. He was from boston or something like that iirc.

Head count is minus one. My cousin is coming into town to look at houses with his fiancee for a couple days that overlap with the signing. A much more subdued event then the party in the MegaCity, but you have to put the family first. Have a good one without me kids. I'll be thinking of the good times had on the 9th.

no one else is suggesting...there is a Hard Rock Cafe on the corner if that will do. Should we get a head count and a table or just agree to meet up there? :)

I think that Hard Rock Cafe was closed recently, or at least according to the CBC it was, and now there is only one still operating in niagra falls to serve all of Canada.

I was thinking more along the lines of pub, with Guiness on tap, anyway, I'll have to ask some one who knows the area.

That's to bad that you can't come Kelso I was looking forward to meeting you in person.

I’m taking the afternoon off in case that the crowd gathers early. I’ve no sense of what to expect because the last time GRRM came, the crowd wasn’t that bad. But some reports of November signings have me worried.

I think that Hard Rock Cafe was closed recently, or at least according to the CBC it was, and now there is only one still operating in niagra falls to serve all of Canada.

I was thinking more along the lines of pub, with Guiness on tap, anyway, I'll have to ask some one who knows the area.

If the Hard Rock closed, that’s news to me, and I live down the street. Hmm. I’ll have to look tonight on my way home.

But, really, I’d rather not go there myself. I vote with Mordin on a pub: there’s one on Elm Street just behind the WBB. I think it’s a Firkin pub, but don’t quote me. Again, I can have a look tonight. There’s also an Elephant & Castle at Yonge and Gerrard. There’s also a great sitting lounge at The Library (called that so Ryerson students don’t have to lie to their parents about where they are; trust me, it’s a pub) at Dundas and Victoria.

Really…if you need any suggestions I live right there, so I can give you any atmosphere of place you want in the neighbourhood.

Oh thats great moot! :D I was hoping for a pub-y kind of place also just I have no clue whats around there.

:( sorry to hear kelso! I was so looking forward to bringing a boy home and getting away with it :cool: if you still want one signed though pm me :)

OK I am looking for photos of all you guys on the BWB website but the only one I can find is Bron Stone....

So if you get a table somewhere, how will I know you? Will you all be chanting, "Benjen lives" or "Bring on the others/dragons"?

Or will you just be the rowdiest/noisiest bunch in the place?

Somebody mentioned finding out whether GRRM had time to join us? Anybody in the upper echelons "in the know" about anything like that? (Him I could recognize!)

http://www.bwbfanclub.com/ga_gather_noreascon.php <-- I'm on the bottom right. If it helps any (I know bad pic) I'll wear that tracksuit :lol:

As for the rest. I was assuming that we would have a pub decided and meet up there or figure out something for the reading and Q&A

I emailed Parris awhile back before dates were set but didn't get a response. At the moment I'm planning on winging it and just asking George if he's got time and is interested in a drink afterwards when he signs my book.

edit:

okay. The event starts at 7pm. They are expecting *a lot* of people. The earlier you get there, the better supposedly. They are approximating the event to be over around 8:30 pm. George will be also doing a reading and a Q&A. They are asking that if you don't purchase the book at the signing to bring a receipt to prove that you didn't just pick it up off a shelf and call it yours ;)

http://www.bwbfanclub.com/ga_gather_noreascon.php <-- I'm on the bottom right. If it helps any (I know bad pic) I'll wear that tracksuit :lol:

As for the rest. I was assuming that we would have a pub decided and meet up there or figure out something for the reading and Q&A

I emailed Parris awhile back before dates were set but didn't get a response. At the moment I'm planning on winging it and just asking George if he's got time and is interested in a drink afterwards when he signs my book.

I can't tell which picture it is, that link brings up a page with a whole bunch of pics. Oh I guess I should check the labels. Duh.

You mean he does a reading and discussion, not just a book signing? I didn't realize, that makes it even more iced! (new word for cool, from a book I'm reading). It's quite apropos for the subject, I thought.

Does the discussion part usually happen first, then a line sort of forms for the signing, or the other way around?

I will keep watching for decision on the pub. any pub is Ok by me as I don't know the area.

OK I see the pic now, long dark hair, black suit with wide red stripe. Got it.

Archived