Goodkind XXXIX: Legend of the Yeard

Myshkin

[quote name='Chriskele' post='1459786' date='Jul 28 2008, 16.59']The fact that I am within reasonable driving distance makes this so tempting. I would love to be at a party of great revelry and mockery. I would be way in over my head though, as I could only stomach about 180 pages.

I don't think I even made it to my first almost-rape scene. I don't think the original quad counts.[/quote]
I see from your profile that you hail from the Inland Empire, which makes me pity you. But you being within driving distance also makes me happy, as it would be easy for you to make it to my SoT parties, which would guarantee at least 2 people at each party.

[quote name='RWHamel' post='1459868' date='Jul 28 2008, 21.02']What I'm hoping for is that Disney will publish there own sanitized version of SoT in the merchandising market.[/quote]

In other words, Mickey Mouse brandishing a Sword of Truth and Minnie Mouse decked out in red leather and anal prod?

Oh how the furries will cheer.

[quote name='Il Chiarimento' post='1460086' date='Jul 28 2008, 19.33']Hey, anyone got that link that summarizes all the silly shit that happens through the series with actual quotes and such? Thanks.[/quote]
[url="http://sandstormreviews.blogspot.com/2006/08/goodkind-parodies.html"]Here you go.[/url]

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1459762' date='Jul 28 2008, 16.46']I'm not badmouthing the series. In fact I'll be hosting SoT parties for every episode. So If you find yourself in Long Beach come November be sure to look me up.[/quote]

Hmmm

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1458445' date='Jul 27 2008, 15.44']We gather here today to say goodbye to that most awesome of ponytail/facial hair combinations: the yeard. The yeard (as opposed to "Yeard", which describes the wearer, and not the hair combo itself) stood stong through 14 years of crap writing, but sadly could not bring itself to face the new age of crap TV.[/quote]

Contradictions can not exist in reality. This it is proven, you are Mystar.

It is so.

[quote]As for me being Mystar; well I know how to spell genre (not genera), so I couldn't possibly be him.[/quote]

Clever ploy Ron. Clever ploy. That however would be too much truth and glory for me. I will be pleased to bask in your shadow. :leaving:

[quote name='Gigei' post='1460458' date='Jul 29 2008, 09.05']How are they going to film the scene with the dirty monster sex with nambles? ;)[/quote]
As it's doubtful that the show will make it to a second season (assuming that each book = 1 season), they don't really have to worry about that.

Much more immediate, they'll have to work out a way to make the testicle eating, 80 pages of torture and the kick work. I predict all three of those will get cut.

[quote name='Muttering Bill' post='1460491' date='Jul 29 2008, 08.26']As it's doubtful that the show will make it to a second season (assuming that each book = 1 season), they don't really have to worry about that.

Much more immediate, they'll have to work out a way to make the testicle eating, 80 pages of torture and the kick work. I predict all three of those will get cut.[/quote]

All irrelevant. The "Richardites" (you gotta see the quote in the Seeker thread in Ent) have already begun basckpedaling. Going out and talking about "more layers of story" and "more story to tell other than simply what's in the books". It's all ploy for eliminating the less savory items within the story to defuse the complaints when the show comes out and resembles about only 5% of what was written in the books.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1460513' date='Jul 29 2008, 09.45']All irrelevant. The "Richardites" (you gotta see the quote in the Seeker thread in Ent) have already begun basckpedaling. Going out and talking about "more layers of story" and "more story to tell other than simply what's in the books". It's all ploy for eliminating the less savory items within the story to defuse the complaints when the show comes out and resembles about only 5% of what was written in the books.[/quote]

Actually, I was starting to assume it meant worldbuilding and that made it all the funnier to read. MyRon talking about how integral and important it will be to the story and all.

[quote name='Ilya Popov' post='1460600' date='Jul 29 2008, 10.35']I'm still trying to work out how Disney is at all involved in this property, given that the first novel features that infamous Con Dar scene.[/quote]

Touchstone and Miramax are part of the Disney Corporation and they distribute films with nude scenes in them...

But the problem is that Disney has already put there name a reputation on the line about SoT...it will be a very watered down version with some spooky night scenes and lots of that magic that Mr. Goodkind dislikes...Objectivism and Mord Sith be damned...no kicking the little priness's jaw in either...

[quote name='HammerOfGod' post='1460736' date='Jul 29 2008, 11.34']Touchstone and Miramax are part of the Disney Corporation and they distribute films with nude scenes in them...

But the problem is that Disney has already put there name a reputation on the line about SoT...it will be a very watered down version with some spooky night scenes and lots of that magic that Mr. Goodkind dislikes...Objectivism and Mord Sith be damned...no kicking the little priness's jaw in either...[/quote]

The show could be comedy gold if all the objectionable material happened just outside of the camera.

[i]Camera shot of Denna looking to something off camera[/i]

"OMFG, you kicked the princess in the chin!"

[i]Richard, calling back from out of frame[/i]

"I told that ([i]cut away to image of dogs eating table scraps in the main banquet hall[/i]) bitch ([i]cut back to Denna listening intently to someone off-screen[/i]) not to stick her tongue out!"

[i]Close up of denna, grinning with a smile that was maliciouser than most malicious smiles[/i]

"Tonight you are going to suffer for that little outburst."

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1460513' date='Jul 29 2008, 09.45']All irrelevant. The "Richardites" (you gotta see the quote in the Seeker thread in Ent) have already begun basckpedaling. Going out and talking about "more layers of story" and "more story to tell other than simply what's in the books". It's all ploy for eliminating the less savory items within the story to defuse the complaints when the show comes out and resembles about only 5% of what was written in the books.[/quote]
I have not ventured into that thread yet.

But really, they're making excused for why the Kick can't be in the show? Not long ago they were all crying in outrage at even the possibility that it wouldn't make the cut. Well, what could could they do, I suppose.

But "layers of story" (if it's not world-building as Foreverlad suggests) would imply that there was more going on in the background, that was not sloppily written up by Tairy. From what I remember, the story was pretty thin, and because it was so thin, there wasn't a single event that he didn't write up in detail.

I haven't read the quote yet, and I already know that they fail. Off to check this out. :leaving:

I think I'll rise up, live my life, and write fanfiction where Terry Goodkind finds himself leaping through time, and has to change events so that people choose Life and rise up and live their lives. I'll probably put it together and pitch it to Hollywood.

I've never watched an episode of Quantum Leap, thank you, and my proposed Truth Leap is totally different. It will revolutionize the genre of sci-fi television programming.

[quote name='Gigei' post='1460458' date='Jul 29 2008, 06.05']How are they going to film the scene with the dirty monster sex with nambles? ;)[/quote]

Hire the guys who made the Xenomorphs for [i]Alien[/i], or go CGI.

[quote name='Gigei' post='1460458' date='Jul 29 2008, 09.05']How are they going to film the scene with the dirty monster sex with nambles? ;)[/quote]

They won't. So long as they have 'heroes' and 'villains' i.e 2-dimensional characters they will claim to be faithful to the 'theme' of the books.

Which si a great pity as a faithfully adapted version with child-kicking, testicle eating and naked Kahlan leading armies would be the best TV series ever. Instead we'll get some watered down disney crap.

So, I was slogging through an older Goodkind thread and I got to the conundrum of whether abortion was choosing life or death.

Then it hit me.

What about undeath? Or unlife?

Like, say, if I become a vampire of my own free will. Where do I stand, viz a viz Truth?

[quote name='Derfel Cadarn' post='1461291' date='Jul 29 2008, 14.58']They won't. So long as they have 'heroes' and 'villains' i.e 2-dimensional characters they will claim to be faithful to the 'theme' of the books.[/quote]

It might just be that I'm on the sauce right now, but are you trying to imply that having two dimensional characters is somehow unfaithful to the sword of truth books?

The fans will obviously love the Sword of Truth series because it has the same beloved characters that our beloved friends and family can belove while being beloved by us. And if they don't belove them, then they are not old enough to watch the series.

Archived