August 2008 Reads, Near-reads, and Aborted Reads

Larry.

Before someone starts a September (September!) thread, let me jot down my last couple of the month:

Only just got around to reading [b]Lord of the Flies[/b]. If I was an English teacher, I'd teach this. :thumbsup:

A little more conflicted on [b]Sunshine[/b] by Robin McKinley. I did find the story compelling, but I'm not certain I liked the way it was told. I thought there was a lot of info-dumping, and I didn't like that we learned random plot-important new stuff about the world every 30 pages, without foreshadowing, almost throughout. It felt like the author was fleshing it out as she went along. Also the story was fairly standard Buffyesque stuff, including romancing the vampire. Should I spoiler tag that? But in the end, I can't bring myself to knock it too much. I can see someone who likes urban fantasy liking this well enough.

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1501379' date='Sep 1 2008, 03.27'][i]Blindness[/i] is one of my favorite books, but if you want to recapture that [i]The Shadow of the Wind[/i] feel I would suggest Saramago's [i]All the Names[/i].[/quote]

I'll put that on my to-buy list, thanks. :)

Archived