August 2008 Reads, Near-reads, and Aborted Reads

Larry.

I've read the Cesspit's essay (it really outgrew the likes of opinion or review :) ) and enjoyed it quite a bit; it was written with great affect and it's always nice to see we can still be moved by a simple book in such way.

Trin just finished both books in [b]Catherynne M. Valente[/b]'s "The Orphan's Tales" duology. You can read the review of "[color="#006400"][i]In the Night Garden[/i][/color]" and "[i][color="#006400"]In the Cities of Coin and Spice[/color][/i]" [url="http://sf-fantasy-books.blogspot.com/2008/08/catherynne-m-valente-orphanstales.html"][b]here[/b][/url].

Still waiting for my orders from Amazon to arrive, reading Modesitt's [b]The Spellsong Cycle [/b]in the meantime. If they still don't arrive I'll tackle Stover's [b]Heroes Die [/b]and [b]The Blade of Tyshalle[/b].

My latest reads or attempts to read are:

[b]Iron Angel[/b], by Alan Campbell. I really recommend this book, Scar Night could be confusing at times but many of the things that happened in the first book are explained and make sense in the second. Iron Angel is far better written and has a faster pace than Scar Night.

[b]Saturn Children[/b] by Charles Stross. Not the best Stross I've read, it's interesting and funny, but this is Stross and you can expect this to happen. An entertaining read.

[b]A Darkness Forget in Fire[/b], by Chris Evans. All right, I've had to give up and stop reading this book, I can't stand the main character (and some of the supporting cast, well if I have to tell the truth, most of the supporting cast). The book is not well written and the author seems to have expected that using the word [i]shako[/i] once each two pages it would give the novel a XVIII century feel. And the main character, oh, the main character, this guy is a complete "capullo", really. Come one, I can imagine Chris Evans designing him, thinking something like: "how clever and original I am, I'll create this character, an elf who doesn't like the forest and moves clumsily in it, which will allow me to write hilarious scenes, readers are going to love him". The problem is that for me it's very difficult to imagine someone that acts so stupidly in one page and in the next one is a respected and able regiment commander.

[b]Voices from Hades[/b] by Jeffrey Thomas. I needed something refreshing to forget about Chris "I wanabe Novik" Evans and I decided that a trip to Hell with Jeffrey Thomas would be just it. Great stories set in the same Hell of "Letters from Hades", I absolutely recommend.

[b]Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy[/b]. I'm reading it now, almost finished. Some very good stories, some ok and some that could have been better, but a solid collection that I'm enjoying very much. I haven't finished reading it because in the last story (the last if you don't count Joe Hill's "Thumbprint", a chapbook that you get if you order the book from Subterranean) I've meet a guy called Kvothe in "The Road to Levinshir", and he is so bright, charming and perfect as he was the time I met him before, which is sad because I really like the place where he lives and some of the people, less perfect and great than him, that he meets. So please, Patrick Rothfuss, should you read this (I doubt you will but the internet is a mysterious place and who knows), make something bad happen to our Kvothe. Not something bad in spite of how a fine fellow he is or something bad happening to him because he is a fine fellow, I ask for something bad because he makes a mistake that shows him that he is not this good and perfect. It doesn't need to be something tragic, just something that will help me to like him better because since I like the books I'm afraid that I will get struck with this insufferable guy for a long time.

[quote name='Agulla' post='1467445' date='Aug 4 2008, 02.56']My latest reads or attempts to read are:

[b]Iron Angel[/b], by Alan Campbell. I really recommend this book, Scar Night could be confusing at times but many of the things that happened in the first book are explained and make sense in the second. Iron Angel is far better written and has a faster pace than Scar Night.[/quote]
Totally agree. But I do wish Carnival had more face time.

[quote name='Agulla' post='1467445' date='Aug 4 2008, 02.56'][b]A Darkness Forget in Fire[/b], by Chris Evans. All right, I've had to give up and stop reading this book, I can't stand the main character (and some of the supporting cast, well if I have to tell the truth, most of the supporting cast). The book is not well written and the author seems to have expected that using the word [i]shako[/i] once each two pages it would give the novel a XVIII century feel. And the main character, oh, the main character, this guy is a complete "capullo", really. Come one, I can imagine Chris Evans designing him, thinking something like: "how clever and original I am, I'll create this character, an elf who doesn't like the forest and moves clumsily in it, which will allow me to write hilarious scenes, readers are going to love him". The problem is that for me it's very difficult to imagine someone that acts so stupidly in one page and in the next one is a respected and able regiment commander.[/quote]
Again I [url="http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=29695&st=0&p=1437726&#entry1437726"]completely agree with this[/url]. I still can't get over how the author (and several reviews) claims that Konowa is some kind of elvin antithesis when all the author did was make him dislike the forest, which is fairly superficial. Oh, and did I mention that every other elf in the book loves the forest and is the epitome of the cliched elf? And that the one dwarf is [i]exactly[/i] what you'd expect him to be, right down to the bushy beard?

Sitting on my shelf waiting for me to finish:
[i]
Robinson Crusoe[/i] by Daniel Defoe (this book is straight up boring, and way too full of religious ponderings when I was expecting a fun little shipwreck tale)
[i]Ten Great Works of Philosophy[/i] (not the lightest of readings, so it's been slow going)

Sitting on my shelf waiting for me to get to them:
[i]The Portrait of Dorian Grey[/i] by Oscar Wilde (I've been on a classics kick lately)
[i]John Quincy Adams[/i] by Bennett Champ Clark (the latest in my Presidential biography list)
[i]La Sombra del Viento [/i]by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (rec from a board member :))

I just started [i]Master of Verona[/i] by David Blixt. I'm not far enough into it to say whether I like it or not but I'm sure I will. I'm a sucker for solid historical fiction. I will say that the Italian names are a pain in the ass but it's not that big of a deal. I mean, I read Bakker :dunno:

Following that, I'll probably read [i]Kane and Abel[/i] by Jeffrey Archer. That was recommended to me and I look forward to reading it.

Finally, I ordered [i]Green River Rising[/i] by Tom Willocks. I enjoyed [i]The Religion[/i] immensely and sought out another one of his books. This is about a prison riot and an accused rapist (he didn't do it!) who has to go all Die Hard to save a prison doctor. It sounded pretty intriguing and a step away from what I've been reading lately.

I finished GGK's [i]The Lions of Al-Rassan[/i] and it was the best fantasy I've read in some time. :thumbsup: Will pick up another GGK book the next time I'm at the library.

Disagree on Alan Campbell, thought [i]Iron Angel[/i] was a clear step down from [i]Scar Night.[/i] I agree that the pace was faster though, like one overlong action movie sequence that I started skimming because it grew boring. Downgrade in antagonist/s in the 2nd one, too. And I agree, it was short on Carnival who helped carry Scar Night, and that hole wasn't filled in Iron Angel. In short, it left me unmotivated to read the next one.

Right now, I'm reading [i]Ghost Wars[/i] by Steve Coll, history of the CIA, Afghanistan & Bin Laden.

I've just finished reading Walter Jon Williams' 'Implied Spaces'; a space opera/hard(ish) sci-fi tale of pocket universes, AIs, pod people and zombies! I don't get hard sci-fi stuff at all but 'Implied Spaces' wasn't too hard to follow at all, plenty of entertaining stuff to get into and the intrigue was particularly... er... intriguing...
'Implied Spaces' is a short read though (261 pages) and at times it felt like too much was being crammed into too small a space, there were bits that I definitely thought could do with some expansion. My full review is over [url="http://www.graemesfantasybookreview.com"]Here[/url].
This week is a week for reading fairly short books so I've got Robert Buettner's 'Orphanage' and John Scalzi's 'Old Man's War' on the go.

Finished [i]The Charnel Prince [/i]by Greg Keyes. Great book and I'll be diving into [i]The Blood Knight [/i]today.

I have a few questions regarding the book. On the US hardcover 1st editon, the one with a women coming down the stairs and facing a courtier and an armoured knight, is that woman supposed to be Muriele Dare?

Also

SPOILER: The title
Does The Charnel Prince refer to Robert Dare?

I finished reading [b]The Blade Itself[/b] this weekend. The third part of my 3 part review is [url="http://fantasybookreviewer.blogspot.com/2008/08/diary-review-blade-itself-part-3-final.html"]here[/url]. In summary, i finally understand why so many people liked this book, and cant wait to read the rest of the series. Did all 3 books come out in hardcover in the UK? if so, I am guess they are probably sold out by now. These are probably going to be worthy of owning multiple formats.

Next up I am continuing on with [b]Before They Are Hanged[/b].

Gunievere: i read The Charnal Prince a few months ago, so my memory is a bit hazy. But to answer your "spoiler" question: Yes, I think so. Maybe someone else has a more definitive answer, though.

[b]Mission Child[/b] by Maureen McHugh. I liked this quite a bit, very thought-provoking on third-world development, colonization, personal identity. Between Geoff Ryman and McHugh, I feel as though I'm reading a lot of books about non-canonical gender these days.

I also read [b]Your Inner Fish[/b] by Neil Shubin, in preparation for leading undergrads in a discussion (it's UPenn's freshman read this year). It's well presented, but the choice in examples seems a bit wonky at times. I am skeptical about its appeal to non-bio majors.

I just finished [i]Toll the Hounds[/i]. Epic? More like epic bloat. There were some cool sections, to be sure, but they were far too few interspersed between all that with fluff. Also, many of Eriksons writing tics are beginning to bother me now. I wont rant about them here, never fear.

Don't know what to read next. I might start Gabaladon's [i]Outlander[/i]. I remember reading her short story in [i]Legends II[/i] and I was not put off by her writing style.

I went to the library yesterday for the first time in a long time, armed with a long list of authors. I was reminded why it had been so long since my last visit - my local library sucks doney balls. Of the 20 or so well known and prolific authors i had on my list, I found a whole two books, and two more I didn't even have on the list. Anyway, it was a decent haul. Got;

- Antony and Cleopatra, by Collen McCullough. Liked her Masters of Rome series well enough but I'd completely forgotten this was out.
- The Hyperion omnibus, by Dan Simmon. Read it years ago, figured it was time to reread it and see if the magi was still there.
- Night of Knives by Ian Esslemont. Mixed reviews on this one, but I figured I'll give it a shot before deciding on Return of the Crimson Guard.
- Throne of Jade, by Naomi Novik. I enjoyed Temeraire, which I bought just last week, so this was a happy coincidence.

[quote name='Mexal' post='1467525' date='Aug 4 2008, 05.47']Finally, I ordered [i]Green River Rising[/i] by Tom Willocks. I enjoyed [i]The Religion[/i] immensely and sought out another one of his books. This is about a prison riot and an accused rapist (he didn't do it!) who has to go all Die Hard to save a prison doctor. It sounded pretty intriguing and a step away from what I've been reading lately.[/quote]
I read this like ten years ago, so I don't remember much, but IIRC it was pretty decent.

[quote name='Guinevere Seaworth' post='1467679' date='Aug 4 2008, 08.34']Finished [i]The Charnel Prince [/i]by Greg Keyes. Great book and I'll be diving into [i]The Blood Knight [/i]today.

I have a few questions regarding the book. On the US hardcover 1st editon, the one with a women coming down the stairs and facing a courtier and an armoured knight, is that woman supposed to be Muriele Dare?

Also

SPOILER: The title
Does The Charnel Prince refer to Robert Dare?
[/quote]
Yes and yes.

Last night I finished [i][b]This Forsaken Earth[/b][/i] by Paul Kearney, second book in the unfinished Sea Beggers trilogy. It was pretty good as Kearney always is if a little light on plot. I hear Solaris is supposed to be willing to print the third book sometime in the future. I'm not going to have time for a review on my blog because I'm leaving tomorrow for Denver.

For the trip to Denver I'm taking along [i][b]Broken Angels[/b][/i] by Richard Morgan and [i][b]A Companion to Wolves[/b][/i] by Monette and Bear. Hopefully, [i][b]An Autumn Wa[/b][/i]r will show up in the mail tomorrow so I can take that too.

Finished [b]The Electric Church[/b] by Jeff Somers. It was a really quick, run n' gun read that was quite a bit of fun and the ending made me want to check out the sequel at some point...but not rush out to buy it.

Now reading [b]The Edge of Reason[/b] by Melinda Snodgrass. I'm a few chapters in and enjoying it quite a bit, it's certainly different than what I normally read.

I've finished Robert Buettner's 'Orphanage', a book that bears more than a passing similarity to the move 'Starship Troopers'... a little too much, for me, in fact.
The book did redeem itself though with some memorable characters, bleak backgrounds and an entertaining style. I'll stick around for the next book at least. My full review is over [url="http://www.graemesfantasybookreview.com"]Here[/url].
I'm now well into John Scalzi's 'Old Man's War' which is a far superior read...

Just about done with Mike Carey's [u]Vicious Circle[/u]. It's a pretty good series with some real potential. I can't say its a favorite though because the writing just does not grab me, and I sometimes find myself pushing to get through some section. The supporting cast are also kind of weak and two dimensional. Still it could be so good......maybe the next one?

Next up is Resnick's [u]Stalking the Unicorn[/u], and then some older books Lawrence Watt-Evans.

Archived