Worldcon Reports

Ran

[quote name='Kat' post='1477702' date='Aug 13 2008, 06.58']I just read the whole report and I wanted to add some stuff...that whipping guy was the same one with the complicated gold ear chain and shiny shirt who was engaging some of us in seriously long, boring, slightly creepy conversations on Saturday. I think MG, Soph, and Real Writer Guy â„¢ rescued me from him more than one time. (Why do all the con weirdos I meet have to be from my city? Seriously, what's up with that?)

I guess he was more interesting when being whipped, but if you see him again, run away before he starts talking.[/quote]

Yeah it was that guy.

We have just now got in - thats right - we got hit with the flight/travel dramas as well.

Firstly, I think we were the last non-Denver BwMers to leave Denver as there was nobody around at DIA. When we got on the flight for the LA leg we sat on the tarmac for an hour and then finally took off. Literally had to sprint to the international connection in LA and then sat on the tarmac for an hour after boarding. After 14 hours in the air to Sydney we did miss our connection home to Perth. We weren't too worried about that as it gave us a bit of time to relax. The replacement flight (four hours later) left only 20 minutes late but just past Adelaide a poor old bloke had a heart attack and we had to turn arouhnd and go back to Adelaide so they could get him off the plane.

Laoise wathced the whole drama unfold only two rows ahead of us as an off duty paramedic and nooby doctor succesfully resucitated him and then got him off the plane to an ambulance crew in Adelaide - 1.5 hours on the ground in Adelaide and then we resumed. We are home but we didn't get time to collect the cat. :( Will collect him tomorrow.

We've had a couple of ROFL moments at new comments in sigs and avataars etc. Travel dramas aside we are very emo to be home and facing the prospect of around 2 years before we see everyone again. Full report sooner or later and I will respond to some wonderful pms after some dinner. Also, I will settle in to read MG's novel at the same time....

Cheers all,

Stubs.

My con-report [s]with a few more details[/s]*

Before the con on the 4th I drank with some nice John Deer people while waiting for Maltaran, the lack of knowledge about geography was highly amusing.
As I had too much long before Malt arrived I thought about switching to coke or sparkling water.
However I found out about Bud and Miller which seem to be brands of beer flavoured water, an awesome business idea. :thumbsup:
One the 5th Malt and I did some sightseeing(The Capitol) and went to the [s]we fucked the natives hard[/s] history museum, I also got Malt to watch the Dark Knight with me as he had already seen it, the title the thread about it entertainment forum has was 100% correct.

6th
The went only to two panels writers as readers after which I talked to some other BWB people(forgive me I'm horrible with names) and the greatest villians in SF which were both fun. I also had a lot of fun at the Xerps party, I do not remember the time but when there were only a few people left in the room a bottle started to go around and we started singing classics like [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPHtKarae2Q&feature=related"]LOG[/url], [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABWyXKT5qt4"]Happy Happy Joy Jo[/url]y and the [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zey8567bcg"]lumberjack [/url]song, afterwards I must have blacked out as I dont remember how I got back to my room.

7th
The first panel I went to is the Creating a Mythos one, it was mostly about worldbuilding, setting and stuff and It was both interesting and funny, afterwards I went to GRRMs reading which gave as a line which needs be printed on some T-shirts.

Fandom and SF outside the English-speaking world was quite interesting, most interesting was the information about [url="http://2009.finncon.org/"]Finncon [/url], it seems most con-goers there are sexy girls who dress up, I'm not surprised that GRRM is a guest 2009 ;) . The last con thing I did was the LE Modesitt reading which was cool, a reading from his next Fantasy series. The parties were nice again, and the Xerps party did it again for me, those aliens are evil.

8th
I think I found my horns on this day and on the next day I got a pair as a gift for GoN:). They work better with long hair. [url="http://www.new.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=814210&id=597537290&ref=mf"]link to the pic GoN posted on facebook[/url]

I did some book shopping and got a "My Name Is Inigo [i]Montoya[/i]. You Killed My Father. Prepare to Die" T-Shirt(after I had seen malt wear one), which got my "I love that shirt" comments en masse for some reason, even from random people at the hotel, in the city, at the airport (even in Munich...).

I got two of my Modesitt books signed and a third one from some women who asked me to(she was in the line for another author), the guy behind me said that I should steal it because it was collectible or something but I did not do that.

Next was the Patrick "Petbane" Rothfuss reading, he read from his column he did for a college-paper which was incredible funny, some poetry(both funny and sad from what I remember) and something short from his book. He is an incredible funny guy.
As I left the room I noticed that the Greg Bear reading was next in a room nearb. The books was "[i]City at the End of Time" [/i]I enjoyed the reading and got the book, he had a shirt pimping his book. Baxter was also there and had the same shirt and they had some funny banter about from how many other authors both of them add "raided". I also went to the Elizabeth Moon reading, she read a short story which was quite funny.

The last panel I went to that day was the "Writing Sex for Today's SF and Fantasy Market:Are There any Boundaries", there was only Faith Hunters name in the program thus I was unsure about it but it was in my Hotel. However she had conscripted some other female authors and seduced three male authors do join them(the only one I knew as Modesitt). It was an incredible funny panel, while the mod said she would prevent author bashing there was of course some Laurell K. Hamilton bashing.
I remember them talking about sex scenes set in uncomfortable places, one of the authors mentioned a scene where the female participant was against a rock and I nearly pissed myself when Modesitt made that the comment that this gives a whole new meaning to the "between a rock and a hard place" saying. :D

The BWB party was awesome, other people with better memories already said much about it, I must admit that I'm to blame for the nakid LP pic as I lent a cool hat from some guy(it worked well with my horns) and LP saw that(he asked me to make a NHAW pic and had commented on my manly smell before...).
I had no urge to take such a picture but it seem he liked the idea and made one himself, he asked nicely and Malt took it while I was :lmao: in real-life.
There was also a debate about the toilets in Denver and how the water is way too high(stuff about the balls getting wet..) and of ourse the whipping.
I must admit I stayed for some time in the room as the girl was teasing him with her boobs and piercings at special places, I'm a dirty voyeur :blush: it seems.

9th
The Ian McDonald reading was interesting, he read parts of a new story set in Turky, next was the Charles St. reading, he read from Saturn's Children which is a homage to Heinlein with a focus on his later works.. :uhoh:
I also went to the Evolution of SF panel which was interesting Ben Bova seems to dislike people which analyse SF and there was some anti-religion stuff.

The BWB party was again great fun and as I said before there are people with better memories, Jostein and I got some Sprite and were like WTF when I payed only 6 $ for 12 litres of the stuff, no surprise that people over there drink so much of it.

10th
Partysuite-clean-up and some shopping.
We went for lunch at the Bubba Gumps as a fan of Forest Gump I loved the decoration and it was the place where I had a WTF encounter with an American size appetizer. Dinner was small with only a few other BWBers(the Xes, Sophelia, Dunhallym, Tycho I think and....sorry im horrible with names) and we had quite a bit of fun, there was also a beer brand with a name I found interesting.
Later there was some drinking at the Hyat with people slowly breaking away, lots of farewells and my attempt at licking Stegos face was thwarted.

*Can't use that after MGs report. :thumbsup:

Edit: I think I forgot to mention that Malt was an awesome roommate. :)
It was nice meeting all BWB people that were there and I hope I did not make not make an ass of myself as I'm the kind of man who talks before he thinks(I remember at least one comment I'm not proud of, hopefully no-one else remember).

[quote name='Xray the Enforcer' post='1477834' date='Aug 13 2008, 19.41']Stubby -- glad to hear that you and laoise made it home OK. You people rock my world beyond all boundaries.[/quote]

Stubby sad.

[quote]Say hi to Angus for me.[/quote]

Alas poor Angus, he was doomed from the start. Evan (you know, from the movie) now he did turn up for a visit....

[quote name='Xray the Enforcer' post='1477834' date='Aug 13 2008, 07.41']Stubby -- glad to hear that you and laoise made it home OK. You people rock my world beyond all boundaries.

Say hi to Angus for me.[/quote]
I agree with everything Xray said.

I had something of an abbreviated con this year, for a couple of different reasons. First, my accursed job required that I push back my departure day by two days, and so I didn't get out of NYC until Thursday. Finally arrived in Denver, ambled over to registration, snuck around the art show, and then met up with a whole host of people near the Crotch. Some went to Casa Bonita, others to Rock Bottom, and still others to Cheesecake Factory. I was in this last group, and the wait was interminable. I almost killed one of the bus boys for his meat, I was so hungry.

Happily, before I succumbed to cannibalism, we were seated and that was the second-to-last time during the entire con where I was actively hungry. Portion sizes in fly-over-land = absurd. (stress and sleep deprivation played a major role, too). After dinner, it was off to the party floor. Ah, the delicate aroma of Con, how I missed it. We invaded the Seattle bid party like a horde of avenging locusts and used our butts to commandeer all of the cold air. George joined us, but I bailed around the time that Mr. "Gotta Touch People On the Knees" showed up. I was fucking exhausted.

Friday morning Mr. X, Fenryng and Regina (the two best roomies EVAR) and I shuffled to the Denver Diner, where I had a breakfast burrito in Silanah's honor. Mr. X ate something amazing that incorporated biscuits, gravy AND bacon. In the middle of the feast, Stego called jabbering something about Sam's Club. So I sent Mr. X and the donation money on a shopping trip with Stego and Nova while I dealt with more work b.s. back at the hotel. It was the last time I was to sit down for a long while...

The rest of that day was spent fighting with the hotel to get our suite. The one I double-checked the reservation on a week prior to the con. "Nope, that suite is gone, ma'am." Mutterings about a suite on the 16th floor, which Lugalirra, Iceman and I sussed out (passable but not ideal). On the horn with the WorldCon committee and they say "no way" because our party would be shut down if we tried to have it on that floor. So back to the front desk for more fighting with implacable hotel staff. I must have looked like a con-goer, because Mark of the Housing Committee walked over and proceeded to give the hotel staff merry hell on my behalf. It was beautiful to behold. In the end, it turns out that incompetence or computer lameness was to blame -- they had one suite under my name, and one under Stego's (instead of all of our names on ONE suite). I vowed to kidney-punch Stego for the stress he caused me (so what if he was innocent?! I wanted to punch something!) Then it was room set-up while Mr. X and I made our first run to the liquor store and grocery store.

We bought fans. Two of them. This might be the greatest discovery in party-organization yet (thanks Regina). Seriously, those fans made our party suite almost...pleasant.

I seriously underestimated the amount of booze WC people would suck down, like husks dying of thirst. (I had made my estimate based on World Fantasy -- but now I know better.) So there was a lot of panicked booze runs on behalf of the Bros. Some people would just let the party die, but we have a reputation to uphold! I bartended for hours on Friday, about to the point where I was going to keel over. I received two offers of marriage, based on my knowledge of cocktails and my defense of gin. Kal yelled something about "fucking your sister" which made the bar room go momentarily quiet. :lol: I said something else about shitting in the shower, which made Kal nearly lose his drink. Yagathai, Kalbear and Lugalirra kicked me and Mr. X out from behind the bar (and I love them forever for this). I spent the rest of the evening chatting with Greg (I only wish I had been more coherent during the convo). The Tickler made his presence known. Enjoy Yourself!!

The evening starts to get blurry around 3am, but I stuck it out until the bitter end. We had a real Mexican Stand-off going on between Xerps and Reno (?) as to who would be the last to shut the doors. I said something uncomplimentary about Canadians. Kalbear loudly proclaimed "[b]I've seen nutsacks that you wouldn't believe[/b]!!" and drew some poor soul into the room who had been walking by our party just at that moment. He was wondering exactly what kind of nutsacks Kal had seen, and if they were award-winning. I heard the "Brotherhood without Manners" comment and chuckled a bit -- of all the things con-goers are good at, polite personal interaction isn't one of them. [i]Especially[/i] if you happen to be female. I witnessed the amazing Frosty, and almost pissed myself with laughter when he Jedi Mind-tricked the last party into closing, leaving us the winners. I was sorely tempted to get Slushies at 6am, but instead went to the hotel for an entirely not refreshing two-hour nap. Woke up at 7:45, turned to Mr. X and said "I am so fucking hungry." "So am I. Diner?" was the reply. So Mr. X and I tiptoed out of the room and got some breakfast.

(to be continued)

[quote name='Kat' post='1477674' date='Aug 12 2008, 21.14']Both drinks were good, but the second drink seriously made me want to brush my teeth after every cup. It's a real plaque-builder. :uhoh: Needed some salty things to offset the sweetness. I think I'm getting over girly drinks...[/quote]

I can't stand sweetened drinks (even something with OJ is too sweet for me), and drank whisky on the rocks at our bar both nights, except for once when I brought a cup of Starbucks coffee from my room and got it spiked.

[quote name='Teri' post='1477866' date='Aug 13 2008, 08.36']I can't stand sweetened drinks[/quote]

Neither can I, but the WC buying public does not agree with either of our tastes. ;) Fruit-based booze punch is both economical to produce and very popular with your standard con-goer. This is why we buy a small amount of gin, tonic, whiskey and soda -- to accomodate the very, very few who don't want the punch.

Regarding the naked pic, LP still had his boxers on when he asked me to take it, and dropped them right at the last moment. I'll be uploading it in the next few hours, along with all the rest of my photos. (don't worry, Pierre, the picture doesn't show anything below the waist :P)

[quote name='Leveller' post='1477985' date='Aug 13 2008, 15.00']What did I say about this?[/quote]
Hey look everyone its that actually published professional writer guy who came to the party on Friday night! :D

How is it going? Had anything published yet this week? :P

Hey Malt - did not get a chance to say bye to you cos you crashed early on Saturday, nice to have met you :)

Also please don't publish that picture, send it to LP so he can save it for NAHAW in October. There is only so much nakedness we can stand....

It's going nicely, thanks. Always a bit of a letdown, going back to work after a convention.

Let me just say that, when I eventually get fans and they congregate at conventions in suites and offer alcohol to passersby, I hope they do it half as well as you folks. Well done. GRRM should be proud.

[quote name='Leveller' post='1478010' date='Aug 13 2008, 15.24']It's going nicely, thanks. Always a bit of a letdown, going back to work after a convention.

Let me just say that, when I eventually get fans and they congregate at conventions in suites and offer alcohol to passersby, I hope they do it half as well as you folks. Well done. GRRM should be proud.[/quote]
Has anyone ever told you that you look like Napoleon Dynamite, except without the glasses? :P

Thanks for the props :cheers:

[quote name='Maltaran' post='1477993' date='Aug 13 2008, 09.08']Regarding the naked pic, LP still had his boxers on when he asked me to take it, and dropped them right at the last moment. I'll be uploading it in the next few hours, along with all the rest of my photos. (don't worry, Pierre, the picture doesn't show anything below the waist :P )[/quote]

NO!!!!! Please!

You can't put it up yet... Please just send it to me. It really was for NHAW!!!!!

Archived