A Million Thanks

Some of you I thanked in person, but others slipped away from the convention while I was still running around like a crack-addled chipmunk, and I did not get the chance to thank each of you individually for your help with the Con parties.

Running a party at a convention as large as WorldCon is exhausting, time-intensive, and generally stressful (nothing ever goes according to plan), and it is only with the help of dedicated volunteers that the parties can achieve anything close to their potential. Because we had such an awesome pack of volunteers this year, we ended up with two amazing and very fun parties that lasted until dawn. From the buttons and Christmas lights (Kat) to the fantastic posters/fliers (Lugalirra and Raya), to the Sam's Club run (nova), to the invaluable advice (GoN, CoC), to the emergency booze procurement (Tycho, Dracarys, Lugalirra, Isis, Silanah and Sean) to the bartending (Race, Yagathai, Kal, Stubby, Skylark, Lugalirra and, of course, Mr. X), to the door-greeting (Lady Stego, Snowleo and Regina), to the awesome supply of beef jerky (LacyinTX), to the "you gotta cut this guy off" duty (Fenryng), to the Hotel Suite Odyssey (Iceman, Lugalirra, Yagathai and to Mark and Theresa from the WC Housing Committee), to the generous offer to house us if the suite didn't come through (arlington bill -- seriously, that was incredibly cool of you, but I'm glad everything worked out as originally planned) to the ice-runs (Beniowa), to the garbage duty (Lucky Pierre and Maltaran), to the WATERMELON (Mandy and nova), to the extra booze and beer (George and Parris), to the last-minute Saturday supply haul (Regina and Fenryng), to the all-crucial BwB honor-preservation (Frosty) to the set-up and take down (lots of you), to the general awesome party atmosphere (ALL of you) -- every BwBer at the Con contributed in some meaningful way, and I very much appreciate it. Extra thanks go to Stego, who is a great people organizer and without whom none of this would have come to pass, and to Mr. X, who handled the money and tended bar with aplomb and also kept the two of us in good spirits on Saturday during our white-knuckle restock run to the liquor store (on two hours' sleep and very little food).

Without your help and optimism and energy, I probably would have lost my shit sometime on Saturday evening. Instead, I'm just [i]really[/i] goddamned tired, and [i]really[/i] goddamned looking forward to Montreal.

**I am still incredibly tired, so I probably have forgotten some things. Seriously, I am grateful to each and every one of the BwB for helping make this con a great one -- even if I can't remember what it was right now. ;) I plan to sleep for a week.

An added thanks to Luzifer's Right Hand and Michael Jon Snow for also helping out with emergency Sprite and booze procurement, and to Maltaran, for locating the dumpster in the 22nd floor service corridor and making trash runs a much easier affair.

Personal thanks goes to Sean, Stubby and laoise for the funniest fucking convo I had all weekend. "The last one was named Morris." :lmao:

To Gregwombat, for being generally awesome.
To Dunhallym, for being a trooper in the face of serious illness.
To Sophelia, for taking care of Dunhallym.
To my Chemistry Homeboys, Tycho and Dracarys. Don't forget the [b]DPA[/b]. (bow chicka bow bow) Heh.
And to the Tickler, for the endless laffs.

ENJOY YOURSELF!

Also, thanks to Xray for coordinating things and enduring the ordeal of getting us the correct suite (at the originally promised price -- you would think that getting the room you reserved at the price agreed to would be such a challenging task, but you would be wrong.)

[quote name='Mandy' post='1477001' date='Aug 12 2008, 13.10']I solemnly swear to do door duty in Canada. And I'll try to be nice :P[/quote]

I want to work the door with you. Together, we will [s]find[/s] ban all the ticklers!

Well I want to add my thanks to all who organized those wonderful events.
Special thanks to potsherds who went running to our room 2 times for me, Kat, MG and Snowleo who were wonderful roommates to a very sick Dunny, Soph who takes extra care of me, and all those who showed concern and care even though they had never met me before. You all are a wonderful bunch!!!! :grouphug: And I sincerely hope I'll be in a better shape next time we meet to fully enjoy the parties and stuff. :)

Hey, be sure to take a much deserved bow yourself, X. You and Mr. X totally rocked the party planning from beginning to end. :cheers:

ETA: Also, we wanted to give a shout out to ztem, pots and gabby for giving us a ride from the airport.

Huge thanks to everyone for their hardwork, especially you Stegos and Xs. And my boy Tycho is the muthafucking n00b of the year. Three cheers for Race's son!

Thank you so much Xs, Stegos and everyone else for making it a great time. I appreciate Doug keeping his cool during our supply raid - you handled the stress and 3 goofs really well (tho I will have to kill you for the Odd Couple...it does NOT mix well with Scooby Doo! Bastard!) William- you can put junk in my trunk anytime. Xray - you're even smarter and funnier in person. Can't wait for Montreal.

Mandy, thanks for waiting at the airport patiently. I do love you, you know. Compound, yes?

Isis, thanks for the place to crash and recoup Friday afternoon!

Greg, who's crying now??? WE ARE!!! oh and Thank you for shielding me from nhaw, heh.

Race, Thanks for helping me out, keeping me company and keeping me from getting lost (in my own town, yeah, jeez). You are the fucking man! So cool. With you as a dad, Tycho will go far.

Yags, Ta for cool tshirts and insight into the world of bouncing - [i]outside[/i] of road houses. If you ever go for the chops only look I wanna see pictures.

xtra thanks for Kalbear, Yags and Mr X for bartending.

Thanks from me to everybody involved in the parties (I know I did a bit of trash removal, but it wasn't really much compared to what you lot did). The X's for bartending, Mo, Soph, and the rest for the door greeting, everyone else who did the decorating, the supply runs, and the clean-up (which I selfishly skipped in order to go to Daniel Abraham's signing - bad Malt!) - much kudos to all of you.

My apologies too - I totally slacked this year, leaving more for others to do. I know I'll leave people out if I start to try to thank everyone individually, and I don't want anybody to think I've forgotten or missed the work they did. So a huge thanks to [i]everyone[/i], with extra thanks to those who really went above and beyond to make the parties (and the con) for the rest of us.

[quote name='Xray the Enforcer' post='1476712' date='Aug 12 2008, 12.22']Personal thanks goes to Sean, Stubby and laoise for the funniest fucking convo I had all weekend. "The last one was named Morris." :lmao:

To Gregwombat, for being generally awesome.[/quote]

Martha,

Darling, I would accept your compliment but... I am far too humble.

I would also be more willing to express my post con emo by crying, but I can't find a raccoon who is willing to let me use his ass to wipe away my bitter, bitter tears.

Kim,

Who is your bestest save our favorite author buddy?

ME. That's who!!!

Be well. See you again in the next few years, God willing.

Best,

Greg

To those who organized and threw this years party,

Very well done guys/gals:). By means of keeping it simple, your hard work, and by your general congeniality and good nature, you succeeded in making this party a real success.

Opera claps, kudos, and much respek to y'all.

Thanks so much, Martha, for herding us cats into something awesome. You did a really great job, and the best part was that you made it look so effortless.

Thank you for a wonderful con. :)

Archived