Anticipation 2009 (Montreal Worldcon)

Kat

Took Pat's advice and I'm trying to get some Canadian Currency before the trip. It is next to impossible to find Canadian Currency in North or South Carolina. My Credit Union doesn't convert currency. Bank of America does but only if you have an account. The lowest account I can open is a savings account for $25.00 plus a fee of $7.50 for the exchange (then I have to wait for the currency to be ordered and delivered to the branch I'm ordering from). Finally found a travel agency in Charlotte with American Express connections and they may not have any Canadian Currency when I will be able to get up there to purchase it. I'd wait to exchange in the airport but I've heard the exchange rates there are particularly shitty.

Could this be more of a pain in the ass?

Can't you order it from a travel agent or your bank? it might take a couple of days but you should be able to pick it up.

or you can order on line, I know several site will deliver it to your door. (not sure how much this costs but might be worth checking out)

That's weird. Most major banks can order foreign currencies from their central branch. It usually takes about a week for them to deliver the amount to your local branch. That's what I have always done over here, anyway. . .

Patrick

Scot, they also usually have currency exchange booths in the airports. The rate might not be great, but you could get a little bit to get started and find a Canadian bank later. I love that I can use my own currency this con!

Pat, what's the weather usually like in August in Montreal?

These last few years, August has been the best month of the season. On a sunny day, expect the temperatures to be between 25°C and 35°C. And it's been raining almost non-stop since May, so I figure that at some point the sun has to return. Looks like August might be the right time!

ATM fees differ from bank to bank. You'll have to see what yours charge for international withdrawal. Mine charged something like 3$ plus the usual fee, which made withdrawing smaller amounts a complete waste. That's why I always get me a good amount of foreign currency before I travel, and then I rely on that and my credit card. I only use ATMs as a safety measure or if I have no choice. . .

Patrick

ok this may sound like a silly question (thats almost impossible to answer) but how much cash am I gonna spend on food each day?

I've never been to Canada (unless you count that girls night out several years ago) - so I don't know the average cost of a meal. And I've never been to a Con so I don't know how they compare price ways.

I suppose I better give you some examples of what I'm likely to want food wise.

breakfast is sorted and included in with the hotel.

Lunch will be sandwiches or a burger (small meal)

Dinner is likely to be a decent sized meal (probably wherever other BwB's are eating).

(assume a 7-8oz Steak and chips for price) I am unlikely to have a starter or desert so don't worry about pricing these.

I hardly drink Alcohol so a couple of cokes or water with meals shouldn't add much to the cost.

I only want a rough guidline so I can guess how much Canadian $$ to bring in advance.

Didn't you see it in the other thread!?! :) Just posted the ultimate Montreal Restaurant Guide on the blog a couple of days ago. There is something for every taste and every budget, so that should give you a good idea of how much money you'll need foodwise. . .

Patrick

Didn't you see it in the other thread!?! :) Just posted the ultimate Montreal Restaurant Guide on the blog a couple of days ago. There is something for every taste and every budget, so that should give you a good idea of how much money you'll need foodwise. . .

Patrick

Holy shit, I saw that. It was totally epic, dude! Thanks!

If any of you goes hungry while in MTL, it's going to be your own damn fault! :P

It took me 5 months to come up with this restaurant guide, so use it!!!

Patrick

Took Pat's advice and I'm trying to get some Canadian Currency before the trip. It is next to impossible to find Canadian Currency in North or South Carolina. My Credit Union doesn't convert currency. Bank of America does but only if you have an account. The lowest account I can open is a savings account for $25.00 plus a fee of $7.50 for the exchange (then I have to wait for the currency to be ordered and delivered to the branch I'm ordering from). Finally found a travel agency in Charlotte with American Express connections and they may not have any Canadian Currency when I will be able to get up there to purchase it. I'd wait to exchange in the airport but I've heard the exchange rates there are particularly shitty.

I visit Canada ever 2 or 3 years. In general, I will use a Mastercard or Visa credit card where those are accepted. The exchange rate tends to be the lowest available, as the major banks want them used, extracting their profit from the charge to the merchant and interest for those holders with an unpaid balance. The monthly bill detail from the credit card has the info on the exchange.

For those places where the cards were not accepted, such as smaller restaurants, I invariably found that the merchant was happy to accept USA currency at the current exchange rate. Montreal in particular has hordes of USA Americans visiting regularly so are accustomed to this practice. Bring a small calculator to determine what is the proper amount. The change will generally be given in Canadian currency and I use that towards the cash tip for the hotel housekeeper. My boss most recently spent a few days in Toronto for business and did as I just described with no issues.

Hey Mandy, a couple of us are staying at the Auberge Alternative. It's a hostel and not sure if they'd still have space BUT it's a 5 minute walk at the most to the party hotel and the convention centre and it's $23CDN/night.

If you're interested and book a bed just say you want to be in the same room as Michelle T if possible.

I know there were several of us interested in volunteering so I asked about it again yesterday and here was the response I received (which is the only response in several attempts):

Anticipation in Montreal is fast approaching!

Thank you for volunteering to help with the convention. Without a huge volunteer effort we wouldn't be able to put on a Worldcon.

We have attempted to distribute contact information to the various departments in need of specific skills, but if you have worked at a Worldcon before, you know that schedules and manpower needs are in constant flux. Even if you have not been assigned to a particular area at this point, our on-site need for volunteers will be great.

Volunteer Headquarters will be in the Palais, the Convention Center where much of the action will be taking place. Pre-Con volunteer needs will begin on Monday afternoon for stuffing Registration Bags. Heavier workloads will be on Tuesday and Wednesday for Exhibits and Art Show Set-up, and Dealer move-in, as well as setting up other function areas.

Please come by the Volunteer Desk in Palais 210, between the Fan Lounge and the Art Show, whenever you are able, either Pre-Con, or after the Convention starts. If you are coming Pre-con, send me a note to let me know the general timeframe you will be arriving, if you can.

We appreciate your help!

Ann Marie Rudolph

Pre-Con Volunteers

GRRM isn't doing his reading at Worldcon until 3 PM on Monday August 10.

:mad:

Damnit. My plane leaves on Monday morning at 10 AM. I'll have to work on this.

[eta]

Poop, tried to change myself to a later fight and it's full. I'm going to miss the reading, dang it! I suppose I could roll the dice and fly stand by. Hmmm...

Archived