Anticipation 2009 (Montreal Worldcon)

Kat

Hey, I'm on a panel with George! :cheers:

Thursday, 12:30 -- The Werewolves of Brigadoon.

The appropriation of Scotland, Ireland and

Wales as lands of “Celtic fantasy” by North

American authors whose Celtic experiences

appear to begin with Sir Walter Scott,

travel through Brigadoon, and conclude

with bad Hollywood movies

Oh, lucky you! Have fun! :cheers:

:lol: You haven't always had that title?

I had to fight long and hard for it -- mostly against yourself, as it happens. Once people get the idea of "Blame Pod" into their heads, it's pretty hard to make them turn around and see there's something even more embarrassing out there! Even so, six months ago, I finally triumphed.

Tonight's lotto draw was pretty much the last opportunity to afford the trip this year and the fates were not kind.

We hope to see reports of lots of fun and hope that you all enjoy yourselves!!

Tonight's lotto draw was pretty much the last opportunity to afford the trip this year and the fates were not kind.

We hope to see reports of lots of fun and hope that you all enjoy yourselves!!

*shakes fist at fates* :(

Just wanted to remind anyone who's driving to Canada from the States that it's not a bad idea to call your auto insurance company and have them send you one of these cards confirming you coverage:

(from http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html )

"Proof of auto insurance is required. U.S. auto insurance is accepted as long as an individual is a tourist in Canada. U.S. insurance firms will issue a Canadian insurance card, which should be obtained and carried prior to driving into Canada."

Our memberships still haven't been processed yet. Sent it in back in mid-May. I sent an email a month ago, and she said they would be processed by the end of that week. Still nothing :(

Our memberships still haven't been processed yet. Sent it in back in mid-May. I sent an email a month ago, and she said they would be processed by the end of that week. Still nothing :(

Yeah.....I don't know if the membership I bought from Alchemist actually got transferred, either. I guess I will just have to bring a copy of the email. :|

I've heard the con organizers have been horrible at replying to emails this year. Definitely print out the emails for transfers. That way when the unorganized bunch has no clue what you're talking about...you have proof ;) Also if you're transferring a membership from one person to another see if they could write a letter, sign it, scan it, and email it to you to be printed out as well.

Also FYI anyone that Might be taking VIA rail, they are on strike. They are offering refunds for tickets purchased from July 24 - August 23rd 2009. I'm guessing that means they could expect the strike to last a month.

Mich,

VIA doesn't run the subways, does it?

No Scot. VIA Rail is just the long distance train service in Canada. Subways and local trains are run by separate companies.

Bollocks! This could prove interesting...

Sending you a message on FB :)

It's a different company I think. They might use the same tracks though or something like that.

At this time, Adirondack Trains 68 and 69 (operating between New York and Montreal, Quebec) and Amtrak Cascades Trains 510 and 517 (operating between Seattle and Vancouver, B.C.) will not be affected by the strike and will operate according to the published schedules.

Linky

No worries *laughs* I'm panic attacking... I was taking VIA to Montreal. Now I'll probably have to drive :tantrum:

They are the main long distance train here though. I'm hoping the strike won't last very long... hopefully less than *checks calendar* 13 days :unsure:

I hope the strike will be over long before the con. Sorry if I was not showing concern for the more local people. :grouphug: maybe you could carshare with other Canadians going to the Con? -I am not sure how far away you are.

I can't imaginge a several day rail strike over int he UK we have one or 2 day strikes (but repeated several times) those are disrutive enough.

Archived