Greece

zollo

So, early September I will be off to Greece for 3 weeks. Most of this time will be spent participating in a research project on a Greek island, but due to the rather infrequent ferry schedules to where I am going I will have three days in Athens on the way there and a few days on Crete on the way back. Obviously I am not looking into "doing" either in a such a short time span, since that is just not my style.

I have quite a few things in Athens that I would like to see (not like there is a lack in that department), but it would be appreciated if anyone could give me some insight in what places/situations/events I might want to avoid due to "overratedness", hordes of tourists, cash drain qualities etc. Any tips regarding things I should definitely check out are welcome as well.

Of course if anyone is around and fancies a drink let me know.

Someone else is coming here! Two boarders in one month, how cool! :) Do you know what days you'll be in Athens? Which island will you be working at? (what do you do anyway? I'm not sure I've heard)

I'm sure that you already plan on seeing the Acropolis. Ticket there is only 12euros (or used to be, last time I checked) and it allows entrance to several other sites. I would also recommend walking around in the old city (Plaka) and going to the Ancient Agora. Several museums are worth visiting, the National Archaelogical one being the most important. The Byzantine one too, if you're into that. Unfortanately the brand new Acropolis museum is not yet open to the public. The National Art Gallery is also a very cool place to visit, as far as I'm concerned. Really, there are many places worth visiting here and I don't even know what your plans are.

Beware of taxi drivers. Some of them will try to rob a tourist blind. Depending on when you're staying I would recommend getting the bus or the train from the airport if you don't want to end up paying too much. Public transportation is fairly reliable in the fact that it will get you pretty much everywhere you want to go. Buses tend to run late most of the time, trains are a lot more reliable.

Most people here speak some form of English. It's not uncommon to see tourists looking at their maps looking lost so don't hesitate to ask for directions if you need to. Food here is reasonably priced in most places. You have to try some local dishes, which I'm sure you'll be able to since you'll be in the country for 3 whole weeks. (poor you. :D) We have the best junk food in the whole planet, real gyros.

What else? I hope you don't have to deal with any strikes.
:leaving:

[quote name='Zollo' post='1477835' date='Aug 13 2008, 14.42']Of course if anyone is around and fancies a drink let me know.[/quote]

DalThor and I would love to meet you, provided our work schedule permits it. :) Just tell us when you'll be here and we'll take it from there.

I would just add that I can't think of any actual tourist traps. The most expensive thing might be drinking in cafes/clubs. The drinks are pricey. Everything else is relatively affordable.

Avoid, taxis, as the wife mentioned, and guys in the Plaka inviting you into their out-of-the-way 'bars' (which are actually houses of ill repute - unless you're into that sort of thing).

I do hope work schedules allow us to meet.

How wierd.

I was just planning on posting an Athens Meetup thread.

I'll be flying into Athens on the 5th of September and will be around until June (although I will be going back to the States for Christmas).

I was thinking we could do a BwB Athens meetup on September 6th or something?

Zollo, when will you be in Athens? If you want someone to visit the Athen's sites with (Acropolis, Agora, etc, best in the afternoon, after all the school children are gone), I'd be down.

[quote name='zakalwe7' post='1478459' date='Aug 13 2008, 21.06']Still???

Jesus[/quote]

Yes, still. :(

I saw you are going to Constantinople, I'll be standing here waving.

LugaJetBoyGirl

[quote]Zollo, when will you be in Athens? If you want someone to visit the Athen's sites with (Acropolis, Agora, etc, best in the afternoon, after all the school children are gone), I'd be down[/quote]

Kids won't be back in school until September 11 or so, and getting them out for school trips will not be our first priority. So the sites will be relatively safe in the morning as well. Your choice, less heat but more tourists.

[quote name='LugaJetBoyGirl' post='1478498' date='Aug 13 2008, 19.18']How wierd.

I was just planning on posting an Athens Meetup thread.

I'll be flying into Athens on the 5th of September and will be around until June (although I will be going back to the States for Christmas).

I was thinking we could do a BwB Athens meetup on September 6th or something?

Zollo, when will you be in Athens? If you want someone to visit the Athen's sites with (Acropolis, Agora, etc, best in the afternoon, after all the school children are gone), I'd be down.[/quote]

Weird? Mental, you mean. I am arriving late afternoon/early evening on September 5. Getting the ferry late afternoon on September 8. This board gets around alright.

I'll get back to the other posts in a bit.

[quote name='Ser Lucky Pierre' post='1478641' date='Aug 13 2008, 15.05']If you guys are a bit flexible, can we meet on the 7th? I'm on a cruise and that is the day we will be in Athens...

*pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease*[/quote]

LP, I might be able to pop down to the Piraeus to see you on the 7th, but my program starts on the 8th, so I can't do anything crazy on the 7th. I'll definately try to meet up with you if I can.

As for any other Greek BwBers, I'd love to meet up later in the Fall as well, after Zollo rolls out to the islands :)

[quote name='Lord of Oop North' post='1480658' date='Aug 14 2008, 19.31']What a strange coincidence! Three boarders traveling there in early September? Mental, indeed.[/quote]

I know! Totally wierd.

I'm told there are like 4-5 BwBers that live in Greece and that are active on the board. I wonder if there is a Greek GRRM fanclub, like Asshai in Spain?

[quote name='LugaJetBoyGirl' post='1480631' date='Aug 14 2008, 18.03']LP, I might be able to pop down to the Piraeus to see you on the 7th, but my program starts on the 8th, so I can't do anything crazy on the 7th. I'll definately try to meet up with you if I can.

As for any other Greek BwBers, I'd love to meet up later in the Fall as well, after Zollo rolls out to the islands :)[/quote]

We dock at like 7am and were just planning on seeing the sights with DT and M for the day. We sail at 5pm. So nothing crazy at all... well compared to Denver... just a normal day of sightseeing. And Wine. And Beer. And Ouzo.

You know.. see the sights!

Seriously.. though... when I spoke to DT and M about it we talked about doing the stuff around the Parthenon, lunch, and then something else touristy in the early afternoon. Nothing major but it would be great if we could get a little BwM together. Even if it is just the 5 or 6 of us.. Doesn't 6 make a Possee?

;)

*falls to knees*

*pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease*

:wideeyed:

[quote name='LugaJetBoyGirl' post='1481098' date='Aug 15 2008, 00.03']Sounds good to me. Zollo and DT and M, if you want to do something non-Parthenony on the 6th, that's cool with me too.[/quote]

Did I mention that I will have read some WC by then? I'm hoping to have #1 thru #3 with me on the cruise.

:)

[quote name='Ser Lucky Pierre' post='1481146' date='Aug 15 2008, 02.48']Did I mention that I will have read some WC by then? I'm hoping to have #1 thru #3 with me on the cruise.

:)[/quote]

Damn straight. Tell you what, you read them, and I'll bring you a Jetboy Lives sticker. I just found like 20 more as I was packing up my house :)

Mashiara will be working on Friday the 5th in the morning. My schedule for that day is as yet undetermined so it's a possibility for later. The weekend is totally open. Whatever works best for everyone is good for us...

Archived