Greece

zollo

[quote name='Zollo' post='1502704' date='Sep 2 2008, 10.14']Sorry, took me a while to get back, absolute madhouse here in terms of work.

Anyway, yes, I am up for the Saturday. To avoid duplicating the Sunday, I am currently thinking of the Byzantine Museum, the National Archeological Museum, the National Gardens, the Athens Planetarium, depending on how busy it is etc., no race against the clock to tick off the boxes! :P

I am also interested in the Dionysiou Aeropagitou street, although for all I know that is cluttered with tourists galore.[/quote]

Let's see.. I think we should start from the National Archaeological Museum and work our way from there. We should meet fairly early but we should work that out with LugaJetBoyGirl as well. It all depends on how quickly we go through that one (God, I do hope their Egyptian exhibition is still open, I meant to go there in the Spring :P) It took dalThor and me more than 4 hours the first time I took him there, but we like to take our time with exhibits and not everyone should have to do the same if they don't want to. We could do the Byzantine Museum after that, it should take a lot less time.

Visiting the National Gardens should be easy as well. (note to self. Locate map of downtown. Bring map along. Just in case) The Dionysiou Aeropagitou street is a gorgeous walk and it's right under the Acropolis hill. I assume you will be joining us on Sunday, no? Depending on how we're doing on time Saturday we could do this as well, or leave it for Sunday. Either way, we'll see as we go.

I'm sorry to say the Planetarium doesn't sound like something we could easily do. It's not located downtown but rather closer to the sea, at Faliro. Trying to do that along with the museums sounds impossible. To top that, their website is down for maintenance and I can't locate what their hours/schedule is. Trying to get there with public transportation might take forever too.. It's a shame, it's a truly amazing experience.

You are arriving Friday, right? May I ask where you're staying?

[quote name='Zollo' post='1502704' date='Sep 2 2008, 10.14']Anyway, yes, I am up for the Saturday. To avoid duplicating the Sunday, I am currently thinking of the Byzantine Museum, the National Archeological Museum, the National Gardens, the Athens Planetarium, depending on how busy it is etc., no race against the clock to tick off the boxes! :P

I am also interested in the Dionysiou Aeropagitou street, although for all I know that is cluttered with tourists galore.[/quote]
:stunned:
[straps on running shoes]
[starts vigourous training regime]

[quote name='mashiara' post='1502759' date='Sep 2 2008, 12.04'](note to self. Locate map of downtown. Bring map along. Just in case)[/quote]
She's great with maps. Though it's really a positive for me to have an unerring sense of direction because she somehow gets lost all the damn time (without a map that is).

Looking forward to it.

Thanks, VG, appreciated.

Mashiara, regarding the walk, fair enough, I didn't quite realise it to be physically that close to what is already the plan on Sunday. Seems like a good plan to try and fit that in then.

As to the Planetarium, always wanted to go there, but I generally take my time seeing things as well so starting at the museums and not managing the former is no problem. I might actually try it on the Monday.

I am staying in a decent hostel, Athens Backpackers :P. Mostly because of location, price and the availability of safety deposit/lockers. It is on Μακρή / Makri Street, about 1km south of Syntagma Square.

My legs hurt!

We met with Luga and Zollo this morning and made it through the National Archaeological Museum and the Byzantine Museum. We had a nice lunch at a traditional tavern near the Agora. We also visited the National Gardens briefly, went by the Parliament building and observed the end of the changing of the honor guard. We even made it to a bookstore and snapped pictures of the Greek ASOIAF covers because George Martin had told Luga that he wanted to see them.

Random detail, neither Luga or Zollo are currently able to use their phones. You should ask Zollo what happened to his.. it's kind of funny. Well, maybe not to him, but funny anyway.

We had a great day that involved a lot of walking. It was such fun meeting both of them. We're meeting again tomorrow morning to visit the Acropolis and the Agora and walk around the city some more. LP and his wife will also be with us. We're going to have fun doing this. We only got a few pictures today and we'll get some more tomorrow and try to post some here afterwards, just so you can all see what you are missing. :)

It was great fun.

The restaurant was...average at best but OK I guess. I feel a little badly for Zollo because I think we rushed him through the Archeological Museum. The rest of us had been there before and we spent over 3 hours there but it's jam-packed with cool stuff.

Looking forward to tomorrow. We'll post some pics sometime afterwards.

[quote name='VorianGR' post='1507842' date='Sep 6 2008, 21.43']@ mashiara

If you find time can you upload the pics of the Greek cover for ASOIAF? I thought it wasn't translated in Greek so I bought the English version and I am curious.[/quote]

Actually, they are on Luga's camera, not ours. Luga is the one who got most of the pictures yesterday since we already have dozens of pictures of the exhibits in there from our previous visits. The fun part was trying to sneak a picture of one of us posing in front of the exhibits.. it's strictly forbidden.

I'll ask her to upload her pics here but I don't know when she'll be able to do it.

[quote name='mashiara' post='1508122' date='Sep 6 2008, 22.52']Actually, they are on Luga's camera, not ours. Luga is the one who got most of the pictures yesterday since we already have dozens of pictures of the exhibits in there from our previous visits. The fun part was trying to sneak a picture of one of us posing in front of the exhibits.. it's strictly forbidden.

I'll ask her to upload her pics here but I don't know when she'll be able to do it.[/quote]

Will do it tonight - gotta run now to meet with everyone at the Acropolis.

We had a great time today! :)

DalThor and I met LP and his wife at the port at 8 am and then headed back into town and met with Luga and Zollo at the Acropolis station. We walked all over the place again. We visited the theater of Dionysos and we went up onto the Acropolis and spent a lot of time there -trying to stay out of the way of all the organized tours. It was a lot of fun to be able to take friends up there, I love going. Then we climbed up the Areios Pagos and managed not to break any legs in the process. We walked down to the Agora and most of us also went up to the temple of Hephaestus (LP decided not to walk up there and I kept him company.)

We then headed up back the same way we came and made it to the Plaka where we had a very enjoyable lunch. The waiter seemed to like me and by the end of the meal my husband was teasing me about my boyfriend. What can I say? I'm irresistable. ;) We took LP and his wife back at the correct train because they had to be at their cruise-ship by 4.30, then the rest of us walked back to the temple of Zeus, then went to the Hadrian Arch and then just sat at a little cafe for a beer/coffee/milkshake.

We were pretty exhausted from walking around (and probably stinky/sweaty and not very good looking) but we had a great time. We're definitely meeting up with Luga again because she's going to be here for a long time. We had actually met LP before but it was nice seeing him again and meeting his wife. Getting to know Zollo was incredibly cool and by the end of today he was teasing me about things. He and I need to meet again so I can teach him a couple of things about Greeks. :P

A great experience. I loved every minute of it and I'd love to do it again. Next time we're going to do less walking and more drinking!

Pictures to follow, dalThor is working on it.

[quote name='needle' post='1508250' date='Sep 7 2008, 12.36']px plz!!![/quote]
Ask and you shall receive...

[url="http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=35829&l=6f086&id=718588564"]BwB Athens[/url]

It was fun. Everybody was very, very cool. A long tiring weekend trekking through the city but well worth it. The waiter was so typical Greek male. Zollo dished it out to the wife but she took it well.

We're looking forward to doing more of this sort of thing in the future.

Okay, here are all (the decent) [url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/katierask/sets/72157607161979450/"]pics from this weekend[/url].

I've also got some thoughts about the weekend on my blog, although it's not really a full report or anything like that.
[url="http://antiquatedvagaries.blogspot.com/"]http://antiquatedvagaries.blogspot.com/[/url]

I had a lot of fun, guys!

[quote name='Lord of Oop North' post='1508822' date='Sep 8 2008, 03.45']Why is that?[/quote]

I'm not sure. It's just the rule, it has always been like that in all museums here. The fun part is trying to get away with it but most of the times the guards are right there yelling "No posing!" in badly accented English. (not that I should talk about accents...)

Thanks for the photos Luga. We'll be keeping track of your blog, it will be interesting to read your thoughts about everything you get to do.

Archived