Valonqar; A double bluff?

Night Watchman

I'm of the opinion that it is Sandor Clegane. Given the Valyrian is the language of magic and presumably Robert Strong is a golem created by magic from the body of Gregor Clegane then it seems to me that the "little brother" of Cersei's magical champion would be addressed in Valyrian. You would think given how literal the Frog's prophecies have been that if she meant Cersei's little brother she would have simply said so rather than speaking in Valyrian. If the Valyrian is important then I don't see how it could be other than Sandor. If it is unimportant then it is probably Jaime. Tyrion hated his father enough to kill him (and relishes the memory) but doesn't hold any such murderous thoughts on Cersei so why should he bother to kill her now?

IF it turns out that valonqar means "little brother" or some variation of that then my money is on Jaime. The only evidence of him being the younger twin comes from AGoT and is something that can be easily overlooked.

Another possibility exists that valonqar means something totally different to what Cersei has been told. We know that Tyrion learned to speak High Valyrian from his maester but in ADwD he notes that "what they spoke in the Nine Free Cities … well, it was not so much a dialect as nine dialects on the way to becoming separate tongues.”

If there is to be a twist with this prophecy then I think that it could turn out being that valonqar means something totally different to what we have been told. IF that turns out to be the case then my money is on Lady Stoneheart. ACoK, Catelyn V: “I have no skill with swords, but that does not mean that I do not dream of riding to King’s Landing and wrapping my hands around Cersei Lannister’s white throat and squeezing until her face turns black.”

Which leads to my personal crackpot, that valonqar could be translated as 'second son'. Ben Plumm might be returning to Westeros to reclaim some land, pretty soon...

IF it turns out that valonqar means "little brother" or some variation of that then my money is on Jaime. The only evidence of him being the younger twin comes from AGoT and is something that can be easily overlooked.

Another possibility exists that valonqar means something totally different to what Cersei has been told. We know that Tyrion learned to speak High Valyrian from his maester but in ADwD he notes that "what they spoke in the Nine Free Cities … well, it was not so much a dialect as nine dialects on the way to becoming separate tongues.”

If there is to be a twist with this prophecy then I think that it could turn out being that valonqar means something totally different to what we have been told. IF that turns out to be the case then my money is on Lady Stoneheart. ACoK, Catelyn V: “I have no skill with swords, but that does not mean that I do not dream of riding to King’s Landing and wrapping my hands around Cersei Lannister’s white throat and squeezing until her face turns black.”

Which leads to my personal crackpot, that valonqar could be translated as 'second son'. Ben Plumm might be returning to Westeros to reclaim some land, pretty soon...

Archived