Footyball! II

Iskaral Pust

[quote name='cteresa' post='1496458' date='Aug 27 2008, 14.45']BTW Inquisitor, my commiserations, not being able to get Kaká or Cristiano Ronaldo is one thing, not being able to get Santiago Cazorla is a completely different matter :devil:

( yes, I am evil. But the assumption that Real Madrid could just get any player they felt like sort of annoyed a lot of people for a long time, maybe it is time for the myth to put down a bit. or maybe you guys will get Villa with great pomp and pretend you never heard of kaká or Cristiano Ronaldo OR Cazorla. A name which does not quite fit that sentence btw ;) )[/quote]

:lol:

I've just heard in the radio that Villa has said "NO" and will sign a contract extension with Valencia.

Dear me, in space of hours 2 players say no to Real Madrid.

Fucking Calderón. :tantrum:

[quote name='Isis' post='1496463' date='Aug 27 2008, 08.51']I've never spoken to a Liverpool fan who has a problem with him actually, mainly due to his work rate, the speed at which he adapted to the PL, and his unpussylike behaviour.[/quote]

Wow! :eek:
You should check out the discussion forum on the club's official website. Very active and very negative toward Kuyt. He has a heart of gold but feet of lead. It's like playing Carragher as a striker.

His work ethic is fantastic, but his quality and contribution to our attacking play have been found wanting.

I would like for him to be the prolific goal scorer that he was in the Dutch league. I would also like to believe that he is recovering from the blow of losing his father and will find his niche in the 4-2-3-1 system. I won't hold my breath waiting though.

[quote name='The Inquisitor' post='1496516' date='Aug 27 2008, 14.26']Dear me, in space of hours 2 players say no to Real Madrid.[/quote]

Villa might still be workable no? Cazorla signing a new contract ( and Villareal paying more than Real madrid, what a touch ;)) is pretty definite but with Villa, it might all be negotiation still, right?

BTW if no Cazorla, any chance of keeping Robinho? It looks pretty definitive from Calderon ( and you would lose any chance to complain about Manchester United, not that Cristiano ever said anything clearly and his only saying he wanted to move where in the past tense and announcing he was settled. the proper etiquette for football players, one might want to move but don´t say it publicly, always make sure your present club can make as large a fee as possible in any deal ;) ) but logically, if you sell Robinho, hard to see how to replace him exactly, he is interesting and one of those players which bring impredictability.

Nah... Villa is gone for good. :( He'll be holding a press conference with the Valencia supremo this afternoon anouncing his new contract.

So, CR, Kaká, FAbregas, Cazorla and Villa. Its an excellent track record by the nefarious tandem Calderón-Mijatovic.

This night we play the Santiago Bernabeu trophy, I'm wondering how the socios will greet the president (I'm not going tonight, most a pity. I would have asked for his head) ;)

[quote name='The Inquisitor' post='1496762' date='Aug 27 2008, 17.00']So, CR, Kaká, FAbregas, Cazorla and Villa. Its an excellent track record by the nefarious tandem Calderón-Mijatovic.[/quote]

You know, just don´t put Cazorla on that company ;) I know technically true, but it just does not seem to quite fit.

Well, people very likely to move soon - Arshavin (but I really don´t know, he is already old and smallish and brilliant sometimes but invisible in others and RM is not going to play FOR him like Russia or Zenit). Huntelaar maybe but question remains, you already got the (probably better) prototype of that one. Not sure who else is on the market. But to be fair to Calderon/Mijatovic the market right now is not as it was some years ago, salaries have gone up, lots of russian and english money around and if there are any galacticos of the new generation they were bought by their clubs at age 18 by then-exorbitant prices and slowly given time to grow up.

BTW if I got it right you play Sporting tonight, interesting match for sure. Maybe they will have somebody for sale :P

PS - BTW I just thought of somebody for that position, but don´t even look our way. Sadly if you pay the 30 million of the clause we will have to let him go, I just so hope you guys don´t sell Robinho or do not rate Angel that high.

So Spurs have bought Pavlyuchenko. Good buy, I'm looking forward to seeing him play on a weekly basis.

Major possible transfers I'm awaiting are Man U confirming a Berbatov signing and Robinho moving off at the last minute to Chelsea ( which I'd like to see happen).

Mathis

[quote]Oh yeah, for those who haven't seen it, here's Steve McLaren (ex-England manager and native Yorkshireman) speaking English in a Dutch accent despite only having lived there (Holland) for a month or two[/quote]

I listened to that interview and there's no trace of English with a Dutch accent. I can only conclude you don't know what you're talking about.

[quote name='Calibandar' post='1497058' date='Aug 27 2008, 19.41']I listened to that interview and there's no trace of English with a Dutch accent. I can only conclude you don't know what you're talking about.[/quote]

It's the way he pronounces all the "s" sounds as "sh".

It's clear to me that McLaren is trying to be clear in his way of speech; he is speaking slowly, emphasising things that don't need emphasizing, not quite speaking in the way he would to an English reporter perhaps. But that doesn't mean he is actually speaking English with a Dutch accent, which is an entirely different matter, and the point of Mathis' comment ( aside from the implication that McLaren is a fraud).

Sounds vaguely Dutch to me. And to all the tv and radio pundits I've heard commenting on it. Not sure if a Dutchman should be more of an authority on speaking english with a dutch accent than anybody else.

The funny thing isn't so much the accent, it's the way he drops all the conjunctions, like someone not totally familiar with English.

"I knew when I came here. Champions league. Liverpool or Arsenal I thought maybe one of them we would draw." (that's verbatim).

It just sounds weird. It's sympathetic communication, like an englishman in America speaking with an American accent, but taken to a creepy extreme.

With most of the qualification round for the CL done with, there is a few surprises, Cypriot Anorthosis Famagusta knocked out Olympiakos, while Olympic Marseilles somehow managed to knock out Brann. As I write this, Liverpool has still not managed to score against Standard Liege, and the extra time is about to start.

[b]ETA:[/b] Kuyt manages to put Liverpool in the lead with two minutes of the second extra time half to go.

Yes, another ugly and fortunate win for Liverpool. A late, late goal by Kuyt, despite not playing well at all. This team looks very flat and our right wing is unconvincing until El Zhar comes off the bench.

Gerrard to undergo groin surgery and miss the next two weeks.

Inquisitor, please do confirm I am right, you guys fired that awful voice commentator and stopped the annoying music at the goals?!? If true that is so brilliant, I might even be willing to watch you guys play at home now! That music was unspeakable. And congratulations on the goal spree, poor Sporting - though they sort of were asking for it, they were starting a very strange B-side lineup. Starting Rodrigo Tiuí and Hélder Postiga when they had like options, it´s a very memorable choice :P

Other than that Vitória de Guimarães have their season screwed up already in August, their first time in the CL, and they are out without even having a game shown on tv. Public tv was actually showing the Sporting friendly and not the Guimarães´qualifier. UEFA cup for them now.

[quote name='cteresa' post='1497716' date='Aug 28 2008, 11.44']Inquisitor, please do confirm I am right, you guys fired that awful voice commentator and stopped the annoying music at the goals?!? If true that is so brilliant, I might even be willing to watch you guys play at home now! That music was unspeakable. And congratulations on the goal spree, poor Sporting - though they sort of were asking for it, they were starting a very strange B-side lineup. Starting Rodrigo Tiuí and Hélder Postiga when they had like options, it´s a very memorable choice :P[/quote]

Yes, thanks God he was fired!! :)

I remember a match last season in which Higuain kept on missing amazing goals, until he finally scored. So the genius of the comemntator shouted "At last!!! At last he found the net!! Higuain scores." It was a very WTF moment in the stands until the whole stadium rolled their eyes and chuckled. What a dolt! Good riddance.

Nah, it was a friendly, although the score was high... just a way to get some minutes and tune up for the Liga kickoff this weekend.

By the way I like more and more Moutinho every time I see him play... he reminds me of Hugo Viana a little, except he thinks and sees the open spaces a million times faster (Don't know, perhaps the same gait or the same way to touch the ball?). Had a couple of moves and stuff that screamed talent. I'd not be surprised if he makes a jump to a big club in the near future. Congrats though, I think he and Carlos Martins are more than able to carry Portugal's midfield in the future.

[quote name='Maltaran' post='1497057' date='Aug 27 2008, 19.41']Looks like Spurs are getting both Pavlyuchenko and Arshavin. I guess they've accepted that Berbatov will be at Old Trafford by next week.[/quote]
That would be fantastic to watch. Pavlyuchenko just needs to work on his finishing and he could be top scorer in the Premiership.

Hearts are pretty shit. They got knocked out of the Scottish League Cup by bloody Airdie United! Even St Mirren went through easily.

[quote name='The Inquisitor' post='1497734' date='Aug 28 2008, 11.45']Yes, thanks God he was fired!! :)[/quote]

It was so so bad, even on tv it was unbearable. What was the music he played after a goal, Eye of the Tiger? there are no words. Congratulations on that wise transfer season move!

( btw to anybody who did not watch Real madrid at home last season, I am not being ironical or sarcastical or making up EYE of the TIGER. I couldn´t anyway, my brain is not built for *that* much evil)

[quote name='The Inquisitor' post='1497734' date='Aug 28 2008, 11.45']Nah, it was a friendly, although the score was high... just a way to get some minutes and tune up for the Liga kickoff this weekend.[/quote]

Their lineup was way strange, I watched the beginning and I was laughing, Sporting B against Real madrid at the bernabeu. I think they might have had the temptation to put Moutinho on the bench, under a burkha and Yannick also ( not that you need him, or both, but just in case). Moutinho there was some tension regarding transfers this season, and them refusing to sell him.

[quote name='The Inquisitor' post='1497734' date='Aug 28 2008, 11.45']Had a couple of moves and stuff that screamed talent. I'd not be surprised if he makes a jump to a big club in the near future. Congrats though, I think he and Carlos Martins are more than able to carry Portugal's midfield in the future.[/quote]

Moutinho I think needs even a bit more time, he is very mature enough, but to replace Deco one needs experience. And he is quite small also, I have seen quite a few teams trying to elbow Portugal´s midfield down. And there are a couple other possibilities also - Pelé, who is just a baby but who I am really praying will stay in Italy rather than be used to pay for Quaresma´s 3 left toes and he has some pretty interesting potential. And there is after all the second most expensive Portuguese player of all time ( go on, guess ; BTW you do know which one was the most expensive) who has played a total of some minutes for Portugal a week ago yesterday ;) Good thing he got the debut before the transfer, or it would look bad. I am talking of Danny, now with zenit, he is 24 or 25, a veteran of some of the youth teams ( which for Queirós is important), taller and adaptable, and if he survives so long in Russia so highly rated, he must have some fiber and learned something along the way, so he will have his chances along with C Martins.

I like Platini. He just said cheating cheaters that cheat who are caught at cheating should be ( if not on jail, unfortunately) at least not be playing on the CL. Yes.

and the groups seem fun. Koudolis, Jon my good luck wishes will be equally reparted between you guys, good luck and great football.

Grupo A
Chelsea (ING)
Roma (ITA)
Bordéus (FRA)
Cluj (ROM)

Grupo B
Inter Milão (ITA)
Werder Bremen (ALE)
Panathinaikos (GRE)
Anorthosis (CHP)

Grupo C
Barcelona (ESP)
Sporting (POR)
Basileia (SUI)
Shakhtar (UCR)

Grupo D
Liverpool (ING)
PSV (HOL)
Marselha (FRA)
Atlético Madrid (ESP)

Grupo E
Manchester United (ING)
Villarreal (ESP)
Celtic (ESC)
Aalborg (DIN)

Grupo F
Lyon (FRA)
Bayern (ALE)
Steaua (ROM)
Fiorentina (ITA)

Grupo G
Arsenal (ING)
FC Porto (POR)
Fenerbahçe (TUR)
Dínamo Kiev (UCR)

Grupo H
Real Madrid (ESP)
Juventus (ITA)
Zenit (RUS)
BATE Borisov (BIE)

BTW it can´t be all that bad, there are a couple teams here I had never heard of.

PS - and John Terry wins best defender of the CL?! Is it meant to be consolation or some just very mean joke? BTW Eusébio to give an award to Cristiano Ronaldo, oh awww, so cute - add Zé Mourinho and Figo´s wife and that could like the Holy Grail of Portuguese sports newspaper cover images.

I love groups D and H

D: Liverpool
PSV
Olympique Marseille
Atletico de Madrid

H: Real Madrid
Juve
Zenit St Petersburg
Bate Berisov

:drool:

This is the reason why we all love the CL... Those matches in those 2 groups are worth seeing (except from Bate, of course)

Boy, I want this to begin pronto! :)

Groups F and G aren't that bad also. Groups A to E seem less appealing, since they have 2 solid teams with all odds to make it through.

[quote name='The Inquisitor' post='1498130' date='Aug 28 2008, 18.10']I love groups D and H

D: Liverpool
PSV
Olympique Marseille
Atletico de Madrid

H: Real Madrid
Juve
Zenit St Petersburg
Bate Berisov

:drool:

This is the reason why we all love the CL... Those matches in those 2 groups are worth seeing (except from Bate, of course)

Boy, I want this to begin pronto! :)[/quote]

D is fun - Aguero versus Torres, and well the rest . Though I got to admit, I am having a crush for Atlético lately, the percentage of their games where they score and/or suffer 4 goals ( 4 precisely, dunno why) is amazing. And they can be so excellently good sometimes. Plus, think Maradona will likely go watch their away games, think of him in Liverpool making statements to the english press. oh drool. And yeah, the games do sound fun.

The Arsenal-Porto-Fenerbahce-Dinamo group sounds ahem interesting.

Btw winner of A plays second of B, second of A plays first of B and so on? Cos I am sort of seeing potential for a chelsea-inter which would be sooooo much fun... or is it another draw to prevent same country matchups?

btw Loras, I was talking of Danny and now you will get a chance to see him play, give me your opinion on him, please! assuming he plays.

No there's another draw... to prevent same country matchups as you said.

Of course. I've read and heard a bit about him, but I must admit I haven't seen him play.

I was thinking about Madrid and Juve... at first sight I guess a lot would depend on when the away matches will be held. Playing in Belarus and St Petersburg come November-December can be pretty tricky; plus Zenit can play some very good footie.

Group F also looks very very appealing: Bayern, Lyon, Steaua and Fiore... a lot can happen there. :)

Archived